RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[1.0-2.0] Item that plays ambient noises

David

Moderate
[1.0-2.0] Item that plays ambient noises

Summary:
Compatible with RunUO 1.0 and 2.0
This script adds a device which I called a Sounder (and related gump) that will play sounds from a list of sounds when Player movement is detected. There may be up to 10 sounds in the list which may be edited by double-clicking on the Sounder. The associated gump also allows the GM to preview the sound without others nearby hearing it.

Description:
Sounds are affected by distance, at 20 tiles the sound is barely audible. Triggering the sound may be linked to the presense of any creature with the option of having the creature as the source point of the sound.

In the [Props gump you may set the following options;

Active - an on/off switch (note defaults to false, and resets to false if an empty play list is saved.)
Chance - the odds that a sound will play if all other conditions are met.
Creature - an optional name of a type of Mobile which must be nearby for sound to play.
CreatureRange - if a Creature is specified, it must be within this range (0-20).
CreaturePlaysSnd - if a Creature is specified, the sound originates at the Creatures location instead of the Sounders location.
Description - text string, no effect on operation.
MaxPause - sets the maximum delay between played sounds in seconds.
MinPause - sets the minimum delay between played sounds in seconds.
PlayerRange - Player movement within this range may trigger sound (0-20).
Random - if true, sounds are chosen at random, if false they are played in the order listed in the gump.

Suggestions:
Place a Sounder in a chair in the library. Set the Creature to 'scribe' the CreatureRange to zero and a single sound entry of 585; add a Spawner next to the chair which spawns a scribe with a HomeRange of 1 or 2. The Sounder will only play when the scribe is currently sitting in the chair.

Make water drip in caves, ghostly moans in dungeons, or have a little fun by adding random human noises in an otherwise empty room.

2.0 Notes:
This script works without modification in RunUO 2.0.

Installation:
Add to your Scripts\Custom directory and restart the server.

Attachments

• Sounder.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,090

hey i r ghey

Wanderer
is this like the osi "singing ball"? for those of you who did not know what that is, it was a crystal ball that when turned on and a player walked by it played a random sound. i think it had every sound on uo but im not sure on that. they were pretty rare, from the clean up brittania promotion thing. too bad i only got item bless deeds :( there are still like 3 or 4 singing balls on catskills.

Dracarys

Wanderer
I did the same thing only mine is too simple. It just plays the sound when a player is nearby.

Really a great job with all the features. Thank you!

*goes to replace his sounders*

KillerBeeZ

Knight
this is great, I don't believe there are any scripts/systems you released that I'm not using :)

one question tho, and I'm sure its a newbie question, but is there a list of sounds somewhere I can use for this?

KillerBeeZ

Knight
thank you.

he he I'm working on adding to the base boat by adding one of these sounders on each one set to sound 19 (boat creaking noise)

thought that would be nifty

David

Moderate
Yeah I saw that right after I posted. You could put your creaking boards in the list 3 or 4 times and the seagulls once to make more creaks than squawks. But I am sure you figured that out already. I am impressed with your use of this device though, any thing I could do script wise to make it easier?

KillerBeeZ

Knight
David said:
Yeah I saw that right after I posted. You could put your creaking boards in the list 3 or 4 times and the seagulls once to make more creaks than squawks. But I am sure you figured that out already. I am impressed with your use of this device though, any thing I could do script wise to make it easier?

Most often there isn't much more your systems can do they all tend to be well thought of, well scripted and complete.

At the moment the only thing I can think of is the ability to loop the sound, and maybe more control over how it is played.

The way UO music works though it may or may not be easy. The sounds themselves are good, but in this case, if you have some ocean sounds by the shore, it will play as people walk up, then stop until the character moves again .... waves stop for no one short of the hand of God.

If it can be looped while the character is around then only play while that character is in range while not playing for anyone else til that character leaves the area, you can have a constant ambient sound. in places characters hang out in, like Brit Bank (If the character leaves the area it will need to play for another til there are none in range)
It will need to detect the character in the area, not the movement (if thats possible)

The ability on how it is played will give more control over what you can do with it. At the moment, I believe you can set it so it plays 1 at a time down the list, or 1 at a time random. The ability to play all at once, would allow you to place something like a Bard display. With good timing a GM can create an orchestra with the Lute, Tamborine, Drums, and Harps, even throw some other things in there like a few birds. (Cakewalk via RunUO :cool: )

Let me play with it a bit and see if I can come up with anything else.

So far I see a great system, perfect for RPG or even just some background. A way to add that unique touch every Admin wants on their shard.

As a scripter I know how important feedback is, so this is how I'd summarize it.

Features - Great
Bugs - None found yet
Useable - Very Much so
Reliable - Give it some time
Rating - Damn Nice! ;)

Thank You, don't ever stop scripting... it's in your blood.