RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2.0 and vista

mordero

Knight
yep, RunUO and vista dont quite go together yet. You could try disabling IPv6, but i dunno if that will work or not (I didnt try it cause i dont see that as a real solution, only a temporary one). David started a thread about it back in november if you want to look for it for more details.

WeEzL

Wanderer
Last I remember, you can't disable IPv6 in Vista... Microsoft would rather developers redevelop their software to support IPv6 than provide a way of disabling IPv6 in Vista. I also seem to remember that anything found on how to disable IPV6 only disabled parts of it and not the whole.

However, if I remember correctly, and if the theory is correct, the whole RunUO not playing well with Vista thing comes about when you do an upgrade to Vista from an existing XP install. When others tried installing Vista from scratch after reformatting first, there were no problems. Again, that's only if I remember correctly.

Malaperth

Wanderer
WeEzL;653408 said:
However, if I remember correctly, and if the theory is correct, the whole RunUO not playing well with Vista thing comes about when you do an upgrade to Vista from an existing XP install. When others tried installing Vista from scratch after reformatting first, there were no problems. Again, that's only if I remember correctly.

That's what I read also, so at least there's two confirmations right or wrong :)

Erica

Knight
Darrell;653373 said:
ok but when i try and login all it does is restart the server?
Hmm thats very odd tho i got Windows Vista Basic and log on ok and doesnt do no restart.

mordero

Knight
WeEzL;653408 said:

I can prove that wrong, I have a fresh install of Vista Ultima and I cannot connect to my server, it just restarts when i try to connect to it. From what I can figure out, RunUO is using a deprecated property that is not available for IPv6 addresses, which is causing the crash.

big_cat

Wanderer
Yep I'm the same Vista Ultimate,

RunUO SVN downloaded today and compiled
and same problem

here is the crash report
Code:
Server Crash Report
===================

RunUO Version 2.0, Build 2604.36716
Operating System: Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6000.0
.NET Framework: 2.0.50727.312
Time: 17/02/2007 8:28:45 PM
Mobiles: 0
Items: 2
Exception:
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced
   at System.Net.IPAddress.get_Address()
   at Server.Network.AccountLoginAck..ctor(ServerInfo[] info)
   at Server.Network.PacketHandlers.AccountLogin_ReplyAck(NetState state)
   at Server.Network.PacketHandlers.AccountLogin(NetState state, PacketReader pvSrc)
   at Server.Network.MessagePump.HandleReceive(NetState ns)
   at Server.Network.MessagePump.Slice()
   at Server.Core.Main(String[] args)

Clients:
- Count: 1
+ 127.0.0.1: (account = xxxxx)

mordero

Knight
yeah I know and I can get the server to completely support IPv6 and IPv4 addresses (I think), but no way to test it because the server sends its ip address as an integer to the client multiple times, but you cannot cast an IPv6 address to an integer because it is too large (You could just send the IPv4 equivalent, but thats not a true solution). The reason we are getting this crash is because for IPv4 IPAddress in the .net framework, there is an Address property
Code:
IPAddress ipv4 = new IPAddress();
ipv4.Address //returns a long number of the address
The server then casts this as an int and writes it to the stream when the client is signing in. However, this Address property is deprecated and for IPv6 Addresses, this property was never available, so when the server tries to ue this property, the exception is thrown and the server crashes.

mordero

Knight
IPv46 IPAddress in the .net framework dont support a property that IPv4 IPAddress do support, and so when the server tries to find this property it crashes.

noobie

Wanderer
you do understand the changes I am talking about (the code snippet in the link) should be applied on the server, right ?

mordero

Knight
yes, I know, and Ive made the changes, but they do not help the crash. What happens is the server sends the IPv4 address to the client as an integer. A IPv6 address cannot be an integer and doesnt support the method that the server uses to find this integer, this is what causes the crash.