RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advanced notice of upcoming PlayUO (KUOC) changes

krrios

Administrator
Advanced notice of upcoming PlayUO (KUOC) changes

I've decided some time ago to make a broad revamp of how PlayUO will be used. My goals were:
  • Provide easier setup and diagnostics.
  • Provide an automatic update system to make transitions to new PlayUO versions easier.
  • Provide a centralized method for secure server, account, and preference management.

These goals will be realized by integrating PlayUO into a seperate framework. That framework is Sallos, a side-project I have been working on over the past months.

This has some noteworthy implications:
  • In order to run PlayUO, you must have a Sallos account. While this complicates matters somewhat, it leads to a number of improvements:
  • Sallos provides automatic content downloads for both initial setup and updates. This eliminates a very large portion of setup confusion--once into Sallos, it will take care of PlayUO, whether you're downloading it for the first time, or updating to a new release.
  • The centralized Sallos server allows a number of security and usability benefits, including:
    • Secure account management. No longer will your servers, accounts, passwords, and character information be stored in plaintext locally.
    • User profiles. Sallos will remember macros, screen layout, and other options for your account. This allows you to, for example, log in on a friends machine and have your own setup instantly available.

Sallos is still somewhat in its infancy, and the transition is not yet ready. You may, however, get a head-start on Sallos by downloading it and creating an account. Sallos currently supports fully-functional Gunbound, TetriNET, Chess, and Mastermind.

C

Chaos

krrios said:
I've decided some time ago to make a broad revamp of how PlayUO will be used. My goals were:
  • Provide easier setup and diagnostics.
  • Provide an automatic update system to make transitions to new PlayUO versions easier.
  • Provide a centralized method for secure server, account, and preference management.

These goals will be realized by integrating PlayUO into a seperate framework. That framework is Sallos, a side-project I have been working on over the past months.

This has some noteworthy implications:
  • In order to run PlayUO, you must have a Sallos account. While this complicates matters somewhat, it leads to a number of improvements:
  • Sallos provides automatic content downloads for both initial setup and updates. This eliminates a very large portion of setup confusion--once into Sallos, it will take care of PlayUO, whether you're downloading it for the first time, or updating to a new release.
  • The centralized Sallos server allows a number of security and usability benefits, including:
    • Secure account management. No longer will your servers, accounts, passwords, and character information be stored in plaintext locally.
    • User profiles. Sallos will remember macros, screen layout, and other options for your account. This allows you to, for example, log in on a friends machine and have your own setup instantly available.

Sallos is still somewhat in its infancy, and the transition is not yet ready. You may, however, get a head-start on Sallos by downloading it and creating an account. Sallos currently supports fully-functional Gunbound, TetriNET, Chess, and Mastermind.

If only you would finish poker, I'd kiss you.

pr0totype

Wanderer
Sounds awesome for us dialup users, I see sallos is 90megs already, is there a way to just get KUOC with out the rest of the stuff I don't want? I remember playing chess on sallos until that huge 200meg update. Am I not going to be able to use KUOC anymore unless I spend days updating?

Spirit7

Wanderer
Aye i agree with Chaos i'd kiss u too FINISH THE POKER NOW SLAVE.

huh huh joke :D
id like to see it done tough.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Actually...

I've been brainstorming and what I would like to see is Sallos become more of a framework where you download just the core of the client, and then you pick the games you want and it downloads those games. I know that the main bloat to Sallos was Gunbound, so I'd prefer to see where you could download the Sallos client, and then off of that, you could download each game inside of Sallos individually.

Thoughts...?

C

Chaos

Ryan said:
Actually...

I've been brainstorming and what I would like to see is Sallos become more of a framework where you download just the core of the client, and then you pick the games you want and it downloads those games. I know that the main bloat to Sallos was Gunbound, so I'd prefer to see where you could download the Sallos client, and then off of that, you could download each game inside of Sallos individually.

Thoughts...?

Yea, what dingleberry said./....err Ryan said.

pr0totype

Wanderer
Ryan said:
Actually...

Thoughts...?

That would be the best.

Smug_dgwi

Wanderer
Will PlayUO get updated ? I mean will it ever become beta 14 or v1. I hope this memory leak problem.. will be fixed.. Because PlayUO is an awesome projec.

brodock

Sorceror
i'm just curious...

what you used to make the GUI of Sallos?
i mean, the buttons, the "window", etc...

is it a framework like GTK or something new you created?

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
brodockbr said:
i'm just curious...

DirectX

Phantom

Knight
brodockbr said:
i'm just curious...

Its one program, that will handles, multiple programs/plugins

Has an account system, stuff like that, I suppose its like Battle.net in a sense

L

Luigi

Cant Wait

CANT WAIT FOR THE NEW VERSION! AUG!

Love always,
Kookie Monsta

Pyro-Tech

Knight
this is great. I could then recommend it to my shard players. They would like the whole "screen remember" thing. They spend as much time at my house playing as they do theirs so....

hmm...im still debating on it myself though

when will it officially transition to sallos?

Pyro-Tech

Knight
somewhere in the thread they mentioned the ability to remember where gumps are/macros/other settings on a user by user basis....that's what i was referring to

Play UO does have a screenshot utility though in it

kalo

Sorceror
Sounds really cool Krrios, I can't wait to test this baby out!!

I hope the bugs and memory leaks will be addressed also. I am really grateful for your hard work, a big CHEERS goes out to you for making it possible for anyone around the world with any kind of connection to be able to play Ultima Online.

-Kalo

Sleepy Char

Sorceror
brodockbr said:
i'm just curious...

It would be a combination of DirectX and Windows.Forms or something similar, I suppose, considering it's C#.

Dark MaGe

Wanderer
Yay , Thank you an easier setup system.. what kind like steps or somthing??

Also, do you think you can make it so like the options and stuff are easy and like you know when we put our spells out on the box's on the black area part where are health is and stuff uhmm.. can you make it so we can move the spells??