RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Amazing project! but I've got questions

K

Kevin

Amazing project! but I've got questions

Hello all. I got this link from an old UO friend and was immediately intruigued. Unfortunately, I've got a few questions that weren't addressed in you FAQ. I'm hoping someone can answer them here.

1. My goal would be able to load RunUO on my homePC, network in my laptop, and play UO with my son on our own server. Will RunUO allow me to do that? From what I read, it sounds like the intent.

2. What exactly is .NET and where can I get it? The FAQ says to "GET IT HERE" but I don't see a link.

3. Can the PC that is being used as the server also act as a client for the game simutaneously or would I need 3 PCs for 2 people to play on?

4. When running a server, are characters saved normally, just like on a pay-shard? In other words, can I run a saveable, persistent world on my PC even though it won't be running 24/7?

Thanks and thanks for your work on this amazing project.

Etalicus

Sorceror
:evil:
well im able to host and play it my self

:twisted:

i hope that answer one of your questions 2 machines should be fine

A

Allmight

Amizing project!

Hi Kevin. Here are some answers.

1. Yes.
2. .NET is a new programming language from microsoft. RunUO is written in that language, hence you need the .NET framework to be able to start the server. The "GET IT HERE" is the link itself, but otherwise you will find a link on the downloads page under the misc category.
3. Yes, you can run both server and client on the same computer if the computer is strong enough to handle it.
4. Yes, your characters will be saved, but right now there is no autosave feature, so you have to perform the save manually.

Remember that RunUO is a beta 1 release, hence most of the skills and spells are'nt written yet and most items and npc's are missing as well. If you feel comfortable to script in C# yourself i definitley recomend RunUO, otherwise you should try POL out wich i think is the seccond best emu out there.

Sincerely, Allmight.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Kevin,

Allmight really hit on the facts that you need to know at this point. I would like to stress that RunUO is not production ready. We really only released Beta 1 to show its capabilities in such (what I would term as) an infantile stage. This program is about 1/100th the age of the propular servers out there and at this point it is probably the most stable. Not downing any of the others, we are just lucky enough to be building on a fresh base tht is strong and well designed.

Thanks for trying out RunUO and for you continued support!

K

Kevin

Thanks for the fast replies. I'm even more excited about RunUO than when I read the FAQ!

I'll give the Beta a shot. I fully understand that it's not yet "play ready" but it will give me time to figure out how to hook up my laptop to my PC :)

I have zero C programming experience but have recently been programming in Neverwinter Nights script which, I'm told, is similar. I see some of your script examples and it looks very similar...using functions to get and affect objects, setting and getting local variables ,etc. Maybe I'll give UO programming a shot.

Thanks again!