RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone using No-IP?

Mirage

Wanderer
Anyone using No-IP?

I'm just curious about this service. Anybody have any bad experiences? Any problems with security etc. I'm just leary of putting my server on the net, I feel vunerable. Am I worring needlessly?

NikG43

Sorceror
i have used it for a little over a year. all it does is redirect people to your current IP. they have nothing to do with your securty. just keep up a firewall and only open ports that are needed

Mirage

Wanderer
Thanks NikG43

After reading through the No-IP web site, I got the impression that was all they offered (for free). I'm currently behind a firewall (ZoneAlarm) and a LinkSys router, so I figure I ought to be pretty secure. I was just trying to find out some personal experiences with the service. I'll probably give it a try.

Thanks to all!

tRu3 p1mP

Wanderer
easy to get ip

i dont really see the point in no-ip since the ip of the shard is easily attainable even with that

psz

Administrator
It's mostly so that people don't have to remember IP addresses or for people whose IP address changes from time to time (Some DSL providers do this).

Have the No-IP or the DynDns allows you to have a DNS name no matter what IP you are using (Easy enough to update, most of the time you can get an app to auto-update if the IP changes)

ainis

Wanderer
We currently use no-ip for our shard, for alpha testing purpose. Being hosted on a ADSL line .... no-ip was a pretty economic solution to publish a name.

If you want more info, just drop me a call on ICQ at 206231668.

Ciao
G.

Rooster2

Sorceror
Re: easy to get ip

tRu3 p1mP said:
i dont really see the point in no-ip since the ip of the shard is easily attainable even with that

UOG allows you to block the actual dns / IP being sent anyway.. So I suppose it depends on what you consider easy.. In like 1.5, sure, you could see the IP / dns and do a ping from there. But now that the option is there to block that info, it is actually much harder. Your average gamer doesn't sit around with packet/port sniffers...

BTW - That option on UOG is called "Hide Settings Page".

A Cow

Sorceror
umm.. one thing about that zone alarm firewall.. some time last year i was on a site with tutorals (come for hacking but i was looking for the XP modding ones.. makes my XP so much faster) and there are alot on how to crack zonealram.. i would sugest blackice.