RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C# WoW Server

LordHogFred

Knight
C# WoW Server

Just in case you guys didn't know a new WoW server emu has come into being and is being developed using C# so I thought some of the scripters around here might be interested in getting involved.
Here is the website
It looks very similar to RunUO un fact. Is it possible it could have been made using a heavily modified core?

Greystar

Wanderer
Endicott said:
thats not THAT new kind of old, but one of the newer ones. and yeah its ALOT like runuo.

That's cause IT was RunUO before it was modded to run off of WoW files... I tried using it for a while when I Was trying to make a wow shard to play around with... It works more or less just needs several more bug fixxes but that is completely irrelavent...

Greystar

Wanderer
Dragon Slayer said:
If this is runuo code the are using aint it post to be open source then cant the get in trouble for closed source project??

Yes and No...

What they are doing IMO isn't right since it is Blatently based on someone elses work, especially since they are not providing the Altered SourceCode along with the exe they provide...

They have every right to keep the project closed source, even though it goes directly against what is stated in the usage agreement with the source... If a Moded Server.exe is provided then the modified source must also be included... But unless there is some kind of silly (AND Expensive) legal battle over something that OSI and WoW obviously don't like in the first place... it's all rather a moot point.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
If they are using RunUO code, and distributing binaries they must distribute the Source Code.

End of story, its not a moot point.

Greystar

Wanderer
Ryan said:
If they are using RunUO code, and distributing binaries they must distribute the Source Code.

I know this... I was just saying that unless there is some kind of "agreement" weather legally forcing them (them being the maker of wowwow) I dont see this happening. I only said it was a moot point cause I doubted there would ever be any legal action on either party due to the fact that Both Emulators in question are againts the TOS of both Servers being emulated, even though WoW is by far the more aggressive of the two companies in stopping emulators. I whole heartedly Agree with you Ryan...

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Ryan said:

Oh and if they did do this.. congrats to them :) They are better than I am no way in hell I wanted to deal with Blizzard's legal team!

I hope they did use RunUO though, its built for this kind of thing.

so i was right!

runuo can sue them if the dont hehe i see $$$$$ in runuo future LOL or we can just be a holes turn them into blizzzard get paid for it :)

i bet no onw nows blizzard pays for any one that turns in wow emus hehe

Greystar

Wanderer
Dragon Slayer said:
so i was right!

runuo can sue them if the dont hehe i see $$$$$ in runuo future LOL or we can just be a holes turn them into blizzzard get paid for it :)

They don't (that I know if) but they may inturn attempt to "Help" EA and try to go after Ryan (and the other Developers) for developing another Emulator that was used to create the emulator that was emulating there product... wow that was a contorted sentence...

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Dragon Slayer said:
so i was right!

RunUO wont sue them (I wont say EVER but its just not likely) but they should be respectful enough of the time put into RunUO to at least honor the license it is distributed under.

We aren't neonazi's we have no desire to cause a rift. To be honest I think their project rocks and would do anything I could to help them if they needed something... (Yes I sold out and bought WOW).

Either way RunUO is 100% legal. However a WOW emulator is a different story.

If any of you are members of their community and they need anything they can always come to us. We host numerous RunUO based projects for free and would do so for them also :) We like to help out the 'family' so to speak.

-R

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
zardd said:
If what has been said is true they should of at least called it RunWOW ;)

We owned RunWOW.com/net/org for a while. We dumped it due to the legal ramifications of creating a WOW software package.

Greystar

Wanderer
zardd said:
If what has been said is true they should of at least called it RunWOW ;)

There was a RunWoW it was being written by a group of Koreans (also based on RunUO) that one did give credit to RunUO as being its core, but Blizzard sent a legal letter to their government which suddenly made the project disapear (it was on their website for a while, that's how come I remember this) their website to my knowledge may still exist, but I doubt it. I am a member if the WowwoW community but I didn't mention anything there OR here cause I didn't want to step on anyones toes and the WowwoW project interested me at the time.

EDIT: Heh, I just saw Ryan's post above mine.

okay just i was for the $$$$$ hehe im greedy cause i have to work 12 hours a day making cars LOL i made your car hahahaha i only get paid 23 hour poor me needs more money cant help it. But least 100 dololrs will be spent on runuo when the let me again

Greystar

Wanderer
Dragon Slayer said:
okay just i was for the $$$$$ hehe im greedy cause i have to work 12 hours a day making cars LOL i made your car hahahaha i only get paid 23 hour poor me needs more money cant help it. But least 100 dololrs will be spent on runuo when the let me again

You likely didnt make my car unless you where working for Jeep (GMAC?) back in 1985

Greystar said:
You likely didnt make my car unless you where working for Jeep (GMAC?) back in 1985
I think you need a new car...
I have a 1988 El Camino that has to be coaxed and caressed just to get started...think my mom asked specifically for a crappy car when she bought it for me to keep me from being able to go too far