RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Challenge: who has the OLD SCHOOL UO knowledge.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Challenge: who has the OLD SCHOOL UO knowledge.

Who here has the knowledge I seek?

Winner gets a gift:

I need the data on how the OLD SCHOOL Reputation system worked.

Where when you had gone Dastardly you were Red, when you had gone less than neutral you were grey and 5 kills made you a murderer.

Who remembers, or has the data?

Zippy

Razor Creator
Also, please list all of the noto titles... All we can remember is Dread/Great Lord, Dastardly, Dishonorable, and Honorable

mebane2

Wanderer
Hmmm, I think somewhere I have my original UO manual that came with the beta boxed set. Not sure where it is though. And not sure if it has that info in it.

psz

Administrator
I *HAD* all the titles in my T2A book... Which has decided to go missing :-/ (Unless, of course, you wanted pre-T2A)

I'm still hunting, though.

Rylock

Wanderer
The titles in my T2A guide is glorious/dread and not great/dread so I guess its pretty sure they want it Pre-T2A.

HellRazor

Knight
From my 1997 Prima Official Guide to Ultima Online: :)

NOTORIETY / MALE TITLE / FEMALE TITLE

Good Noto

121 to 127 / Great Lord / Great Lady
100 to 120 / Noble Lord / Noble Lady
80 to 99 / Lord / Lady
60 to 79 / Noble / Noble
40 to 59 / Honorable / Honorable

Nuetral Noto

-39 to 39 / No title / No title
-40 to -59 / Dishonorable / Dishonorable
-60 to -79 / Infamous / Infamous
-80 to -99 / Dark Lord / Dark Lady
-100 to -120 / Evil Lord / Evil Lady

Evil Noto

-121 to -127 / Dread Lord / Dread Lady

(This is the way the guide had them listed, but personally I feel everything from Dishonorable or at least Infamous down should be in the "evil" category).

HellRazor

Knight
Some further info from the guide:

Actions that add positive notoriety:

Killing evil NPC's
Giving items away to NPC's who own less than your character does
Healing a Good or non-evil NPC, or well-reputed player
Completing a quest given to you by a nuetral NPC

Actions that add negative notoriety:

Attacking good NPC's and nuetral or good players
Stealing (from anyone)
Healing an evil or chaotic NPC or ill-reputed character

(Of course, even in the early days this whole area was one of the most problemic and thus most frequently tweaked over time.)

I remember also that cutting up bodies or making "human jerky" with body parts could give you negative noto. Or at least I think they did, if memory serves me. Such a long time ago! :) (Anyone else remember cooks making "human jerky" from corpses?)

psz

Administrator
Bah. Without my book (I had them written down), the oldest I can find is on stratics :-/

http://uo.stratics.com/content/reputation/famekarma.shtml

HellRazor

Knight
One other tidbit.

A common way to beat the noto system was to give gold coins one at a time to a wandering healer. This exploit allowed you to eventually "buy back" your lost notoriety.

Attacking or killing other players would result in your going to Dread Lord pretty quickly. One kill would make you red. Back in those days it was pretty typical to accidentally go red by accidentally clicking on other players when fighting monsters, causing you to attack them. Even attacking another player and doing damage to them without killing them could make you go red (it happened to me once).

sliptongue69

Sorceror
I had gone grey a few times from picking shit up that someone had JUST put down...that sucked 'cause it caused me to be attacked everytime...

mebane2

Wanderer
oh man I remember that now. Totally forgot about it till you mentioned it though. And of course training items you couldn't pick up. Ahhh, the good ol days ;)

Tylius

Sorceror
sliptongue69 said:
I had gone grey a few times from picking shit up that someone had JUST put down...that sucked 'cause it caused me to be attacked everytime...

Agh, I remember that, my first time playing UO, I was in the Yew bank, picked up an item and then someone attacked me. At the time I couldn't figure out why they were allowed to do that, I guess that explains it then :)

Crackerjack

Wanderer
Tylius said:
sliptongue69 said:

Agh, I remember that, my first time playing UO, I was in the Yew bank, picked up an item and then someone attacked me. At the time I couldn't figure out why they were allowed to do that, I guess that explains it then :)

That or when somebody got guard whacked in town, half the time ppl would rush to loot them only to be guardwhacked themselves. It was normal to see this happen to 5 or 6 people at a time.

I would also be careful about using the 1997 Prima Guide because that thing was really inaccurate from the first day it was released.

Crackerjack

Wanderer
Would all of that information be on the client side? If not, I could dig up my original UO cd from around here somewhere...

sliptongue69

Sorceror
What would digging up your CD if it's not client side? I have the CD too, but I don't have the packet/case that came with it or T2A.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
If someone could ISO the original CD for me, I will love them.

I have a big ass scratch on mine :(