RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Client source/library?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainis

Wanderer
Client source/library?

Hemmm, are the source or library available somewhere?

I'm interested in the "login to server" routine, I want to transfer users "automagically" from other shards ... I spent HOURS transferring users; I'd like to have it done directly by the end users.

Thx in advance

Kethinov

Sorceror
Sure would be cool if the source was available. It could be used as the basis for a Linux or Mac client. Oh well. The Windows version has a long way to go even, and given its heavy use of proprietary MS junk like .NET and DirectX, a *nix port would be a very difficult thing. Maybe if it was compiled against Mono and used an OpenGL wrapper it could be done though.

vdm

Wanderer
Kethinov said:
Sure would be cool if the source was available. It could be used as the basis for a Linux or Mac client. Oh well. The Windows version has a long way to go even, and given its heavy use of proprietary MS junk like .NET and DirectX, a *nix port would be a very difficult thing. Maybe if it was compiled against Mono and used an OpenGL wrapper it could be done though.

Better use mono and SDL.NET since its 2D.
Makes basic stuff a bit more easy and portable to other systems as well.
And if your really desperate, you can use opengl with it too.
But, since its never going to happen,... :(

Kethinov said:

LOL.

Kethinov

Sorceror
Well that wonderful contribution to this thread certainly goes along with the RunUO team's consistent pro MS anti unix bias. Why do I bother...

Quantos

Lord
Kethinov said:
Well that wonderful contribution to this thread certainly goes along with the RunUO team's consistent pro MS anti unix bias. Why do I bother...

Oh, it took a while to stop laughing after reading that drivel. I'd like you to provide the proof for that pudding recipe. Most of the forum staff has at least one Linux box, and I'm sure that most of the developers have Linux boxes as well, I happen to know for a fact that some of them do.
It's such a shame though that someone like you, who is obviously a Linux advocate, reads a threat against Linux in everything. Most of us, this is a generalized statement that refers to people who have semblence of reason or common sense, realize that Linux is just simply not ready to be a home desktop solution yet. Come to think of it Linux never will be a viable home desktop replacement solution. It has been designed the wrong way for that, and would require a completely different direction on the rebuild.

ainis

Wanderer
Ok, thank you again for you invaluable help. With the due respect, the staff post 4 messages here: 2 spam, and 2 flame.

I need I way to make a login to a runuo server from a runuo server and download some info. If some of you out there have some c# source or some useful dll ... my reward is a free beer here in Rome, Italy and a big thanks.

Quantos

Lord
ainis said:
Ok, thank you again for you invaluable help. With the due respect, the staff post 4 messages here: 2 spam, and 2 flame.

I need I way to make a login to a runuo server from a runuo server and download some info. If some of you out there have some c# source or some useful dll ... my reward is a free beer here in Rome, Italy and a big thanks.

Maybe you could be so kind as to point out exactly where you were flamed? Being a moderator on these forums has educated me rather intimately with what is a flame as well as what isn't a flame. There is nothing in this thread that I would consider a flame towards you.

<EDIT> Also the only two posts that I see that could be considered spam are posts that you made. Every other post has been in a direct response to something that you have posted. </EDIT>

There is absolutely no way to accomplish what you are looking for, unless you own both shards. If you do own both shards then I would recommend looking at the way that [charcontrol works. It will allow you to transfer characters from one account to another from within the same shard. But unless you own both shards then it is simply not possible for you to accomplish what you are looking for as you will not have administrator access.

ainis

Wanderer
You are a Moderator, I'm sure you know better than me what can recognized as spam/flame and what not. I'm not talkin about being flamed: I only want to say that if someone post "bill is better than linus" ... please .... do not add entropy. And take it easy.

btw: I have found some crappy c++ source just minutes ago on another forum, that maybe can help me, and save hours of time consuming character transfer from other shard. It is only the main skeleton of an ultima online client.

Kethinov

Sorceror
Quantos said:
Oh, it took a while to stop laughing after reading that drivel. I'd like you to provide the proof for that pudding recipe. Most of the forum staff has at least one Linux box, and I'm sure that most of the developers have Linux boxes as well, I happen to know for a fact that some of them do.
It's such a shame though that someone like you, who is obviously a Linux advocate, reads a threat against Linux in everything. Most of us, this is a generalized statement that refers to people who have semblence of reason or common sense, realize that Linux is just simply not ready to be a home desktop solution yet. Come to think of it Linux never will be a viable home desktop replacement solution. It has been designed the wrong way for that, and would require a completely different direction on the rebuild.

What the hell are you talking about? Let's review the topic of this thread.

Question: If Krrios' client were open source, could it be ported to other platforms?
Answer: Yes. But because he used .NET and directx, porting would be hard. Though not impossible. It would go a long way toward developing a fully cross platform UO client for free servers.

Question: Is Krrios going to open source his client?
Answer: Probably not. And if he did, it's doubtful he would spend the time to port it. Which is understandable.

As far as this Linux not being ready and never will be ready on the desktop junk, I advise you to stop spreading ridiculous FUD.

Quantos

Lord
*Thread Closed.*

You are not going to be able to persuade Krrios to release his code, and there is no way to achieve what you want without the code being open source.

And you can have whatever opinion you like, but Linux has no-where near the ease of use required for the average computer user.

Status
Not open for further replies.