RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Common Language Runtime Exception: No Solution?

Donaroriak

Wanderer
Common Language Runtime Exception: No Solution?

Hi there

First of all I wat to thank you all here for creating such great pieces of software as RunUo and Razor.

Since those programs are so fine, i thought i'd try out Krrios' Client, but had no luck so far: the problem is the same everyone else has, but an extensive search through the forums did not help me solve it.

I'll try to be a little more specific as to what I have installled and what not.

1. I have an Ati Radeon 9500 which sould not be a crappy old video card, and handles T&L well. The drivers are the most recent from ATI.
2. I have installed .net 1.1, AND its service pack 1 (Razor works fine at this point)
3. I have downloaded the redistributable package of DirectX 9c, and installed it, then restarted
4. I then proceeded to extract the managed code update (.msi file) from the DX9c .cab, and installed it

Yet still, it works fine until the logon; it does communicate with the remote server (i see the number of online players message and my house) and then proceeds to a complete lockup with the much feared error message.

I tried running fullscreen or windowed, ad many different resolutions, and changing all the options in the config, but the problem is always the same.

Could there be something else installed in my machine that prevents a necessary component from installing properly? I have no idea, but please try to do something for this issue that affects so many people, and maybe post a sticky thread with detailed installation instructions.

Thanks

Toadsoap

Wanderer
I have a 9800XT video card
I have an AMD chip with a VIA chipset.

I have installed DX9c and the managed program files

Razor works fine

Krrios client crashes when executed.

Donaroriak

Wanderer
Hmmm...

First of all, thanks for the feedback.

According to your suggestions i did the following, on top of what i'd done in the original post:

1. downloaded the "old" managed libraries from your link
2. unintalled the 9c ones by right-clicking on the 9c mdxredist.msi file and selecting "uninstall"
3. double-clicked on the "old" installer
4. at this point i'd expect a fancy install screen like the one that appeared when installing 9c managed libs, but all i saw were a series of progress bars quickly filling in a grey blank window.
5. after the "install" completed, i proceeded to run the client, only to receive the same error as before, at exactly the same point.

So i wonder: is there anything wrong in how i uninstalled 9c managed and reinstalled the older managed libs? Was i supposed to see a more detailed install screen?

I am really puzzled by this apparently "mutant" problem, which adapts to any counter-strategy i apply...

I know this goes beyond the "standard" support for an app, but could any of you developers/experts delve into whether a flawed installation of the required components (e.g. installing dx/managed/.net in the wrong order) could compromise the running of the client? If so, could you post some further guidelines or suggestions on how to mend the issue (possibly without having to reinstall windows)?

Thanks everyone

Tylius

Sorceror
Donaroriak said:
So i wonder: is there anything wrong in how i uninstalled 9c managed and reinstalled the older managed libs? Was i supposed to see a more detailed install screen?
Thanks everyone

Now I know this post is practically two months old, but noone's answered it, and this forum is rather unsupported.

So...to answer your question, no, you don't see a more detailed install screen, they just give you the plain progress bar ;) I wondered about that too my first time installing it

fierywater

Wanderer
I'm having this exact same problem, and followed the exact same steps. Still no dice. Any suggestion?

And yes, I realize this is an old thread, but I didn't think it would be good to start a new one with one on the same exact problem present on the page.

Alaskan

Wanderer
Fool proof way. Worked on all 3 of my comps.

Install the AOS July 03 thing.
Get a game disk and install dx9 from it (I used a beta game I'm testing now)
Download the managed thing from here. http://www.runuo.com/krrios/mdxredist.msi
Install the folder Krrios etc to the UO folder.

Run and enjoy.

Edit: I must have already had the dotnetfx installed on my comps cause I don't remember installing it.

Shockdown

Wanderer
This runtime error is very strange. I have a nice amount of ram at 1gb, and can open task manager and slowly watch krrios' client drain it all. It starts about about 50mb and slowly works its way to as high as 650mb. I don't know what the issue is, but it appears that krrios' is definitely not dumping the memory it is using. I have to terminate the process on top of that thorugh task manager usually to get it to completely close (just closing the window itself doesn't do it, leaves the process running).

The error of some runtime exception is what the end result is when I run out of RAM for the program to eat up, and a friend of mine who has a smaller amount of ram (I think 256mb) gets the same error right after trying to start it up (doesn't run at all, gives this error), so another guess of mine is that this error is aimed directly at the memory management of hte program which seems to be poor in this current release. I don't know whether it's krrios' client or the runtime libraries or what is causing it straight up, but either way it is rather annoying and I hope this next release (soon!) will address it. :)