RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Confusion on pre AOS weapon damage...

romanthebrain

Sorceror
JoshMajere;825858 said:
there is a really easy fix for it...

double HalfAr = ArmorRating / 2.0;

that line is your bane :p

HUH? Can you explain it ?

I got exactly that problem like the first poster in this thread , but dunno how can i fix it.....

JoshMajere;825858 said:
there is a really easy fix for it...

double HalfAr = ArmorRating / 2.0;

that line is your bane :p

Changing only that line isn't really a fix. Of course you can change the dmg-output that way, but no matter how you change it the outcome isn't an accurate pre aos dmg range. The solution is a lot more painful - you have to re-write and replace the whole OnHit method. ;)

PS: Let's hope vermillion2083 is kind enough to share his fix with us. ^^

romanthebrain

Sorceror
Bryan Fury;826845 said:
Changing only that line isn't really a fix. Of course you can change the dmg-output that way, but no matter how you change it the outcome isn't an accurate pre aos dmg range. The solution is a lot more painful - you have to re-write and replace the whole OnHit method. ;)

Damn right....
If anyone found a path .... SAY IT !!! :)

Ramsonne

Wanderer
yeah this is a nightmare. and all my searching is coming up with crapola. ill be sure to share here if i find soemthing.

milt

Knight
I had this exact same problem before. I fixed it, but not sure if it would work in a balanced manner for everyones shard.

Nonetheless, here is exactly what I changed in OnHit:

Code:
double QuarterAr = ArmorRating / 4.0;
int Absorbed = (int)( QuarterAr + QuarterAr * Utility.RandomDouble() );

Pretty much just changed the 2.0 to 4.0. Like I said it works fine and dandy on our PreAOS shard, might not for you though... but it's worth a shot.

romanthebrain

Sorceror
milt;828678 said:
I had this exact same problem before. I fixed it, but not sure if it would work in a balanced manner for everyones shard.

Nonetheless, here is exactly what I changed in OnHit:

Code:
double QuarterAr = ArmorRating / 4.0;
int Absorbed = (int)( QuarterAr + QuarterAr * Utility.RandomDouble() );

Pretty much just changed the 2.0 to 4.0. Like I said it works fine and dandy on our PreAOS shard, might not for you though... but it's worth a shot.

Bryan Fury;826845 said:

Thats what we say man ....

milt

Knight
romanthebrain;828679 said:
Thats what we say man ....

Have you tried it? :)

It really shouldn't be that complex... you change that, you tweak a few weapon damages, problem fixed. Like I said, it works fine for me and all that was changed was that absorption number and weapon damages themselves.

romanthebrain

Sorceror
Yes Ive tried it

there is a big weapon imbalance for example you got a full skilled warrior with a power +25 spear the damage output is from 4 hp - 44 but it should not be that random i think, should be bit more accurate let me say 30-40 dmg same with gm made quaterstaffs i made dmge against a player without armor vorm 2-25 but i also think this should be from 15-22 (here i only had tactics no anamtomy).

I hope u notice that Bryan is a scripter of my shard.
We are creating a professional shard, and i cant only switch the armor rating.

milt

Knight
romanthebrain;828688 said:
Yes Ive tried it

there is a big weapon imbalance for example you got a full skilled warrior with a power +25 spear the damage output is from 4 hp - 44 but it should not be that random i think, should be bit more accurate let me say 30-40 dmg same with gm made quaterstaffs i made dmge against a player without armor vorm 2-25 but i also think this should be from 15-22 (here i only had tactics no anamtomy).

I hope u notice that Bryan is a scripter of my shard.
We are creating a professional shard, and i cant only switch the armor rating.

Yeah personally I use dice rolls for weapons and spells, it serves to be more consistent in terms of damage output. But yeah changing the absorption rate alone probably wont help, but it you do that AND tweak your weapon damages you will be golden.

Corrado

Sorceror
Any updates to this?

I know it can be fixed, I play on a couple Pre-AOS shards that have this issue resolved and weapon damages are more "normal" feeling. No little 1hp hits ever.

I came across this problem as well and developed my own utility to help us determine and resolve the problem. There is really no easy solution to the problem, as it is caused by the method in which the numbers are processed resulting in widely varying results. On our server this was known as the feast or famine problem. You either hit high or you hit low. I also personally suspected that the information available on stratics is flawed in some way.

When looking at the known logic your damage roll is affected by a variety of factors resulting in a range of 50-230% applied. Obviously if you roll a 36, this is fantastic, but if you roll a 3, this is terrible. Factor in weapon condition, armor absorption and other factors and the damage is either easily negated or decent hit. Average hits are rarely seen. Coupled with the RunUO method of halving your final modified damage roll, your players will never see satisfactory results.

To solve this problem i recommend starting from the beginning. Take the known weapon damage values and work from there. We took the extreme step to develop our own ingame item that allowed us to extensively test combat in endless situations to make sure we achieved the expected results for a pre trammel, UOR era. If you want more information on the logging book we created click the picture.

In the end by focusing on the known weapon damage ranges, 5-49 for a halberd for instance, we were able to provide our players with an experience that feels exactly like 1999.

Once you have the results working properly vs a non armored humanoid. Then you have to begin work on the absorption effect that armor has.

Finally you will need to determine the situations in which damage can be nullified and determine a formula for applying the nullified hit. By default this is 1 damage. We went with 50% of the weapons minimum damage if completely absorbed, and 25% if successfully absorbed and parried.

Don't obsess on what stratics says.