RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Courageous' "True" LOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Courageous

Wanderer
Ah, no, not at all. Actually, the whitelist would be a very cheap calculation, and if you knew what to put in it, by item-id, I'd gladly code it. Keep in mind that the cacheing algorithm for the tiles, in the default 1/96th size resolution, produces an enormous datastructure that would be far in excess of the size of any tile whitelist.

How about this: for the next release, I'll set up a runtime xml config file that establishes the white list. You can then play around with whitelisting tiles.

Any other problems? My main subliminal worry is that there might be situations in the code proper--some specific thing--where I might not have hooked code in the right places. As in with your example of being able to see GMs...

When you get more experience with it, I'd like to hear how well it performs. A very good basis in thought says the cach'er ought to make it a screamer under load. But still... that's a theory. :)

C//

Twice

Wanderer
So, having this True LOS would it cause your shard to lag more? How does it handle with lots of mobiles in one spot, with lots of objects? Can people see people behind trees?

-2x

Gembone

Wanderer
I have a couple questions for this. first how does it affect the cicle of transparency if at all. and also can it be set to work with races so some have a further los than others? this is something I am really looking forward to trying. will work on implementing it today as I have time.

Courageous

Wanderer
Gembone said:
First how does it affect the cicle of transparency if at all. and also can it be set to work with races so some have a further los than others? this is something I am really looking forward to trying. will work on implementing it today as I have time.
Neither one. There were some performance related reasons why I couldn't go down the route of doing something based on the specific qualities of the player (race, rangering skills, and so forth). Not gonna happen.

As for the other question, this system will lag your shard more than a standard UO server. It causs a very much lot less lag than turning on "true" LOS in any other way. The only way to see if the hit is acceptible to you is to try it. For lightly loaded shards, one may not notice the hit.

C//

Courageous

Wanderer
Solinari555 said:
Before I implement this on my testing server, are Staffmembers still able to see creatures outside of LOS?

I believe I commented back in the appropriate test to check staff level, if that's what you're asking about.

It was written at one time so that a staff member could see anything, including other hidden (and higher level) staff members.

It should now be put back to its default. It's one line of code or so in any case, so nothing for you to worry about.

On the subject of a line or two of code, this is still very much "for coders" only. I don't suggest that anyone except an expert scripter try the mod.

That said, if traffic and change requests start appearing for it, I'm sure to get involved and actually support it.

C//

killers

Wanderer
In the PlayerMobile's CanSee method, there should be a check for the targets accesslevel too.
Code:

if ( this.AccessLevel < m.AccessLevel ) return false;

Otherwise every player can see hidden GMs

i've tested this, but now players can't see gm ( hidden or not ) :D
and plyer can see hidden player
with

Code:
if ( m.Hidden ) return false;

i can't see gm or hidden player, but i can't unhide me because i can't see me ( gm )

when i hide me ( player), i see me as i was unhide...

:eek:

anyone have an idea how to resolve that ?

Courageous, i want to thank you for that script ^^

Courageous

Wanderer
I'll admit that I haven't looked very carefully at the interplay between hiding and line of sight. There's probably some set of very simple logic one can put in there to make it work correctly, however.

I'll take a look at this by this weekend.

C//

Joeku

Lord
I just now noticed this, and I have to say: BRAVO!

I think this will be a great contribution, and I'd love to use it on my upcoming shard.

Code:
++Courageous.Karma;

Hey, just curious about this since I just came across it. Couldn't this type of mod be done without editing the core? In Playermobile.cs, the functions can be found:

Code:
		public override bool CanSee( Mobile m )
		{
		}

public override bool CanSee( Item item )
		{
		}

-Wouldn't you be able to just use those to make everything visible or not visible for players VIA that?
-If you can, would it cause alot of lag doing it that way?
-And if you can't, then that's a shame.

I was just fishing around my Playermobile (gonna edit it a whole bunch, give it a bunch of properties and the such), and I came across it and was wanting this mod (only without the core edit... since I still need help on the forums for most of things :\)

Thanks!

-Aiden

floppydisc

Sorceror
The method InLos is defined in the core and also needs to be replaced. So it is not that easy without a core mod.

Courageous

Wanderer
I've been too wrapped up in RL matters to look yet.

The system is fairly distinct from UO, with a few carefully controlled insertion points in the code. It should be easy to find them again, even if the server code has changed a lot.

Are you a current user or a potential one?

C//

MMoudry

Wanderer
Hey, well I am a potential user. I was waiting for RunUO 2.0 to come out and this script reaching at least beta status. With RunUO 2.0 the CoRE recompile is much more easily accomplished.

Murad

RunUO2874

Wanderer
MMoudry said:
Hey, well I am a potential user. I was waiting for RunUO 2.0 to come out and this script reaching at least beta status. With RunUO 2.0 the CoRE recompile is much more easily accomplished.

Murad

Don't expect any more development on this system, the developer of it has been terminated.

MMoudry

Wanderer
Hmmm yes I can see that... even found the thread he was banned on....
This courageous guy may be a good programmer however he has a few life lessons to learn, such as :

1. Don't piss off the admin
2. NEVER piss off the admin
etc.

Oh well... I'll add 'finish the LOS system' on my over long TODO list.

RIP Courageous

MM

MMoudry said:
Douche? Is that some kind of an american insult?

Given the context which I used it ... I would have thought that was ovious. I guess your lacking a couple more bricks than I originally thought. Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.