RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Custom World with RunUO?

HeadClot

Page
I am curious as to what needs to be done to create a custom world in RunUO and if it is possible.

I would be more than happy to share the assets with the community if i do get this running/Working.

Please Let me know if this has been done before :)

Theres a variety of tools available. Most of them are in third party program support forums

A few are at http://ryandor.com and http://ultima.lonet.cz

Map editing consists of using a program to convert an indexed bitmap image into map files, there are two such popular programs available, Dragon and UO Landscaper. Dragon combines altitude and terrain type in one bitmap, whereas UOL seperates them into an altitude bitmap and a terrain bitmap. Then you generate other statics like vegetation, rocks, etc with DragonSP. After that, you use an world editor like CentrED or Worldforge to fix things like coasts and add elements like cave entrances. Then you build buildings with Pandora and/or UOArchitect and Freeze.Then of course you spawn mobiles, decorate and add teleporters and such.

Custom Art involves editing statics or animation frames, (paying attention to layers for wearables), then importing them into unused graphics slots (unless you intend to replace existing, in which case you can overwrite them) in the art mul files. Tools such as Mulpatcher will allow you to do this.

Script editing involves understanding a fully featured programming language called C#, gaining familiarity with the RunUO code, and then creating and modifying scripts to suit your interests.

HeadClot

Page
I am familiar somewhat with C# got a book or three on it - I am looking at World Creation First and Foremost.
Followed By Scripting the custom Scripts that i will need and editing ones on the forums to suit my needs.
How would I put my world in to the RunUO Server and/or Client side executable - I am currently Developing a sort of Post Apocalyptic/Cyber Punk esque world in Dragon.

I am relatively new to Pixel Art (Not Sure if this is the correct Term TBH)

But anyway I am just making a "blank world" Right now and I am going to add stuff to it over time.

well, my familiarity and expertise in that arena lies with Dragon Mod9+. So If you wanna go that route, I can help you. If you wanna go the UOL route, I won't be able to, but there are others here that can (Sythen, Hellrazor, just to name a few)

and to place your world ingame, you just need to point your server at the modified files (put folder/directory in datapath.cs), and then distribute those files to your players via either patches or simply having nthem overwrite their existing files

for maps, the files would be as follows:

map0.mul (terrain and altitude data)
statics0.mul (statics on top of the actual map, vegetation, buildings etc.)
staidx0.mul (statics index file)

note the zero is the index of the map you are using, so if it were trammel that you are replacing, the filenames would be map1.mul, staidx1.mul statics1.mul etc.

the map has to replace an existing map as of current, but the map can be any size from 8x8 to 7168 x 4096 but both the length and width must be multiples of 8

HeadClot

Page
Like I said I am using Dragon - Cannot remember what version :/

I think it might be mod9+

I will double Check and Make sure.

BTW - Thank you for the extremely helpful advice.

Yes - It is Mod9+