RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Data Storage

Furio

Wanderer
Saving on a MsSql server don't create problems... (native support :) )

The real problem is when you try to save on a MySQL server...

You need: ODBC.Net, Microsoft Data Acces Components and MyODBC...

MDAC (the last version) has some problems (like couldn't handle null string, crash when retrieving from a VARCHAR and other issues)...

Very annoing bugs (i'm waiting for the SP) that compromise tha affidability of a shard...

A

AlejandroX

Hold on, if I'm understanding correctly: If we decide to stick with binary saving we can start world building as soon as more items are made available? *crosses fingers*

C

Chaos

Binary saving takes up FAR LESS space than XML, thats a fact, no matter how well you "write XML"

"Long sloppy XML" is a bad thing to say, considering all XML is long, maybe not sloppy, but its always a lot of text.

Anywho, I agree with SQL, seems odd to have such a great server without SQL 2000 support...seeing as I hear C# and VB.NET work great with SQL.

I just think running SQL and RunUO on the same box is kind of, well, cheap. You should always keep your DB server private, IE protected.

Makes sense to anyone else ?

I think if ODBC support is added, allow us to utilize a different machine as the DB server.

I

Ivel

yeah, i should have made my points a little more clear. When i was talking about XML and the space it takes up, i wasn't comparing it to bianary cause bianary would beat XML hands down for space.

And when i was talking about updategrams, and diffgrams, and using XML for this type of server, i wasn't talking about using XML files. What i was thinking in my head, but relaying to my hands as i typed, was that XML would be used to update the tables stored on the SQL server and used to pull data out of SQL server...

basically, SQL becomes your bianary file/memory that you use now. You should read up on updategrams and diffgrams. and yes, C# and VB.Net work very well with SQL2k using either ado.net, sqlxml, or just the built in functions of .net and sql server.

W

Wasted

SQL would make it much faster to select, like, all chars with str > 100, for example.

Catchin buggers and cheaters would be much faster.

C

Chaos

Never thought that way wasted, thats a great point. You could do some great things with using SQL for your world saves.

K

Krazy_zack

I vote for binary with a reader...

I never could get mySQL to install/run properly on ANY of my boxes...

Besides having to download/install/use/ setup somthing other than .net would take the "Easy" out of RunUO....

My $0.02

Psyk

Wanderer
I think that the best data storage is a bin file, because the sense of using a database is when you will process that info, but which post process will you make with the info in a save?
I mean, that the binary files will be much more efficients and not as anticuate as sphere.

I personally prefer a bin data storage for the worldsaves and a xml data storage for the account system.

W

Wasted

XML for acc and bin for saves? USing two different data storage layers makes no sense.

My line of thought about the SQL thing was totally wrong; i was thinking about it now...

All objects that would be saved in the worldfile are loaded in memory. The data stg is only used on saves; so SQL wouldnt be as useful as i thought, because making SQL queries in-script would return only wrong data.