RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead Project?

jairon

Sorceror
Dead Project?

Sure seems like this project is dead... =(

Shame it isn't open as Krrios seems to be the only person capable of reversing / coding the entire client. Perhaps it will only take 5 more years for a working *nix client.

jairon said:
Sure seems like this project is dead... =(

Shame it isn't open as Krrios seems to be the only person capable of reversing / coding the entire client. Perhaps it will only take 5 more years for a working *nix client.
PlayUO isnt even a *nix client as you yourself learned in This Thread

punt59

Wanderer
Dipset said:
The hardest about about coding a client is doing the graphics, everything else is childs play.

I would disagree. The graphics for UO are pretty trival using OpenGL or DirectX/3d. Just laying at all the other internal stuff, is time consuming.

jairon

Sorceror
porting playuo to mono / sdl from managed directx wouldn't be much work at all.
also, if it was open, we might see some updates from the community. all playuo is doing atm is wasting a great code base =(

@Anti-Basic

all i have done in the three months since that post is review the wolfpack client, reverse krrios' client as much as possible and study sdl. to have the krrios code base would be a huge boost. his code quality is way over mine and most others abilities.

WarAngel

Wanderer
jairon said:
all playuo is doing atm is wasting a great code base =(

Among other things, providing a great 3rd-party client with tons of modifications and features not found in the original client...

I do hope that you can get somewhere with either porting this client to Linux or creating an original client for Linux. It's always nice to see things I love being put on a not-so-shitty OS.

jairon

Sorceror
WarAngel said:
Among other things, providing a great 3rd-party client with tons of modifications and features not found in the original client...

I do hope that you can get somewhere with either porting this client to Linux or creating an original client for Linux. It's always nice to see things I love being put on a not-so-shitty OS.

WarAngel, without krrios' code, a port won't happen. decompiled c# code is not the easiest thing to look at... I have no clue how people manage to port entire apps from nothing but asm. crazy folks out there =) I just hate the wonderful code going to waste, esp. when the linux solution for a client just plain sucks =) he must have his reasons though. it hurts. owwowwwwwww hehehe

Dipset

Wanderer
punt59 said:
I would disagree. The graphics for UO are pretty trival using OpenGL or DirectX/3d. Just laying at all the other internal stuff, is time consuming.
I couldn't fingure out for the life of me how to properly read data from the mul files and other things like that. If I could overcome that I already know a lot about the UO network and have done a lot of work with it. I could make a client easily.

Jeff

Lord
Dipset said:
I couldn't fingure out for the life of me how to properly read data from the mul files and other things like that. If I could overcome that I already know a lot about the UO network and have done a lot of work with it. I could make a client easily.
Just look at the Ultima SDK, it has perfect examples on how to do this.

Dipset

Wanderer
Jeff said:
Just look at the Ultima SDK, it has perfect examples on how to do this.
I looked at the UOSDK code for a long time and just couldn't figure out how it works... I'll have to take another look.

Courageous

Wanderer
punt59 said:
I would disagree. The graphics for UO are pretty trival using OpenGL or DirectX/3d.

Then, just post one -- just one! -- new wearable of your own design. Make it replicate the look and feel of the other wearables. No? No? No, I didn't think so. :)

Thing is, the combined set of art in the client required a simply enormous investment to produce. Big production line stuff. Quite difficult. That's why the community has almost nothing.

C//

Dipset

Wanderer
Courageous said:
Then, just post one -- just one! -- new wearable of your own design. Make it replicate the look and feel of the other wearables. No? No? No, I didn't think so. :)

Thing is, the combined set of art in the client required a simply enormous investment to produce. Big production line stuff. Quite difficult. That's why the community has almost nothing.

C//
We're not talking about creating our own art, we're talking talking about using the OSI client art for a custom built client, like PlayUO.

Courageous

Wanderer
I see. Well it was ambiguous.

Without all the pre-fab art already in existence, though, the real work is the graphics themselves. Like, impossible.

As far as decoding the files, Krrios almost certainly game down with all five of his feet running. On UO file formats and the like, there's tons of information available.

C//

punt59

Wanderer
Courageous said:

C//
Hmm, I guess I wasn't clear. The statement was, coding the graphic (the code to read the mul files, and display as a client view) is the hardest aspect. Let me see, I know most map editors all ready do this for the terrain/art, and I as others have character editors that let one do it for characters and animations. I did not say, create new data, and that wasn't the topic. The topic was coding a client to read existing data. My statement was, the graphic section alone of the client, I don't feel is the hardest aspcet. I say the same for map editors, or others by the way.Rendering the display was minor, compared to the other "management" aspect of the client.

So no, I dont have an example of new data, as that wasn't the topic *grin*

Courageous

Wanderer
I'm with ya. And agree. I don't really think that slicing up the mul files ought to have been that conceptually "hard". Bunches of it has been relatively well documented, from InsideUO. Labor? Who knows, one would have to ask Krrios. But I'm thinking that state management due to protocol interaction was probably some of the trickier stuff in the client.

C//

Zippy

Razor Creator
There are a lot of cheating/botting concerns with this and thats why you aren't likely to see PlayUO or Razor open source any time soon. These apps have both had their fair share of cheating problems with people decompiling them; open source it would be much worse.

jairon

Sorceror
Zippy said:
There are a lot of cheating/botting concerns with this and thats why you aren't likely to see PlayUO or Razor open source any time soon. These apps have both had their fair share of cheating problems with people decompiling them; open source it would be much worse.

Hey Zippy, thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand where you are coming from and it certainly pains me to think people would actually cheat on a free server =) sad stuff; however, you said it yourself, the problem is already there. Anyone with the knowledge of a cheat implementation certainly has the knowledge to decompile the IL code. Also wolfpack's client actually works with very little modification and that too could be used as a cheat.

I guess my point is, Ultima Online is without a doubt, the greatest online game of all time. We have been BLESSED with RunUO, code which I believe rivals that of OSI's real server implementation. Krrios' client has much of that quality... some of wolfpack's client is even based off of his client. It is a shame for such great software to go untouched for so long. I feel the same way about your code as well (you still update though). =)

We all know these great applications are YOUR work and we can never take that away from you. I think RunUO proves that OSS does work. We linux users are dying for a playable client. Ever try to PvP without an assistant application? =) OUCH! Also, linux aside, I feel the community could and would make improvements to the client.

Courageous

Wanderer
Well, whatever else is said and done, I think you're right about needing Play UO to be more actively developed. If FOSS doesn't appeal, perhaps Krrios could acquire a few developers. Part of the problem, of course, is that managing developers is actually a time committment.

C//

jairon said:
Hey Zippy, thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand where you are coming from and it certainly pains me to think people would actually cheat on a free server =) sad stuff; however, you said it yourself, the problem is already there. Anyone with the knowledge of a cheat implementation certainly has the knowledge to decompile the IL code. Also wolfpack's client actually works with very little modification and that too could be used as a cheat.

I guess my point is, Ultima Online is without a doubt, the greatest online game of all time. We have been BLESSED with RunUO, code which I believe rivals that of OSI's real server implementation. Krrios' client has much of that quality... some of wolfpack's client is even based off of his client. It is a shame for such great software to go untouched for so long. I feel the same way about your code as well (you still update though). =)

We all know these great applications are YOUR work and we can never take that away from you. I think RunUO proves that OSS does work. We linux users are dying for a playable client. Ever try to PvP without an assistant application? =) OUCH! Also, linux aside, I feel the community could and would make improvements to the client.
Get yer lips off his ass already, lol.