RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different money system?

jayates

Sorceror
Is there a script for a different money system other than gold? Such as different styles of coins and dollars.

Nockar

Sorceror
I don’t think I have ever seen a money system to replace gold. There are a few systems out there that use their own currencies in a mater of speaking – but they do not replace the gold.

Jeff

Lord
The problem with custom currencies has always been the vendors, the vendor gump can only do gold.

Like Jeff said, your only option for replacing gold is to either replace every vendor with something like a custom stone that you can purchase goods through, or to make gold so common that it doesn't matter anymore. Make it so that one of your new currency could be traded for 1 million gold.

It depends what end you are trying to get to. If you are trying to modify the whole economy just for the fancy look of it, you will run into issues with things like bankcheck's, housing, insurance, etc. If it is just a way to make gold look fancy, I think you are going to spend a lot of time and end up frustrated. If you don't like how worthless gold is in a typical UO server economy, you would better spend your time modifying all the lootpacks and vendor sell prices to make gold hard to come by.

perhaps look at adding a secondary currency to all the lootpacks along side the gold if you are just looking for something new to play with.

jayates

Sorceror
Like Jeff said, your only option for replacing gold is to either replace every vendor with something like a custom stone that you can purchase goods through, or to make gold so common that it doesn't matter anymore. Make it so that one of your new currency could be traded for 1 million gold.

It depends what end you are trying to get to. If you are trying to modify the whole economy just for the fancy look of it, you will run into issues with things like bankcheck's, housing, insurance, etc. If it is just a way to make gold look fancy, I think you are going to spend a lot of time and end up frustrated. If you don't like how worthless gold is in a typical UO server economy, you would better spend your time modifying all the lootpacks and vendor sell prices to make gold hard to come by.

perhaps look at adding a secondary currency to all the lootpacks along side the gold if you are just looking for something new to play with.

It sounds like i'd run into alot of problems so i'll leave the gold in there. But, a secondary currency sounds good like a stackable dollar for players to collect and trade for different items. Such as a dollar. I would call it Fractured Dollar but I wouldn't even know how to start; I know nothing about scripting. Maybe there is a script out there that can be modified. Any help would be much appreciated.

Jeff

Lord
You are gonna have to learn, if anything you need to learn just to be able to maintain your server.

PappaSmurf

Knight
Well a good place to start is by downloading a good IDE

I'd use either SharpDevelop, Visual Studio 2010 express, or on the offhand chance you are on a Linux Box get MonoDevelop.

For references, well there are plenty of sites on the web and a good place to start is by looking at existing scripts that do something similar to what you want and experiment with modifying them.
If you want a desk reference got to Barnes and Noble or any other reputable book store and they'll have a section dedicated to Programming I know I picked up Microsoft's Visual Basic 2008 and O'Reilly's Learning C# 3.0 a while back and having a reference on hand has helped me in situations before. The books aren't exactly cheap being in the $40+ range but if you want to have a handy reference they are invaluable.

sacranym

Sorceror
The problem with custom currencies has always been the vendors, the vendor gump can only do gold.

The vendor gump may only show gold (I have not actually messed with the gumps in scripting yet) But I have made it so that the all vendors accept other forms of currency rather than gold. Yet I have noticed so far that the gump itself only registers gold. So I know that I will have to look into that but the statement is only half true.

pooka01

Sorceror
Change the name of the gold < Name = "NameHere";> then vhange it's basic itemids, maybe it will work.

You could implement a `federal reserve` system on your server and eventually they will bankrupt your server and force it off of the gold standard replacing it with paper that sybolise the debt.