RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Documentation?

Gamer09

Wanderer
Documentation?

I was wondering if there is a documentation with all the functions and their parameters available. I have the DLL but I don't know what functions to call because I don't know any functions. :?

Phantom

Knight
Look in the Object Browswer for either Sharp Devloper or Visual Studio.

Doubt there will be documentation in the near future :rolleyes:

hcker2000

Wanderer
I dont think so as well seeing as suport for the sdk is slow to nill. The sdk seems to be more for the creators benifit than any one else's.

it only *seems* like that since the ultima.dll is for programmers who wish to use a program that affects/is affected by a running UO client. People writing programs such as razor, an Automap ect.. would find the SDK very helpful.

SDK is for programmers not just average joes. If you know how to program then u should know how to use the SDK.

Gamer09

Wanderer
I tried to get Sharp Develop but I get a 404 error everytime I go to the page. If it isn't too big I would appreciate it if you could send it to me through AIM or MSN. I have programming experience in C++ and VB so I think I should be able to use it once I know the commands and their parameters.

Never mind :) . I just tried the #develop site again and it worked. Thanks.

Phantom

Knight
Hacker clearly your not a programer...

If you were you wouldn't have said what you said about the SDK.

Its very helpful if you know how to program applications.

hcker2000

Wanderer
I'v been programing for a good long time now (going on 5 years) but I will admit that I am new to c#. But from link to the demo map code I can't straten it out manly because things are named in none discriptive names. An example would be a line that says Map map;
Now i'm asuming that Map is a call from the sdk and that map is a var but keep in mind more things are named like this so it dosnt make figureing out what i'm doing wrong in my program any easyer.

The main thing im trying to do with my software right now is get the clients location. Load up the image with the sdk and display it in a picture box. The issues im haveing are.

1. Geting the location from the client.
2. Displaying it fast enought to be almost real time. (I i could get it to update once ever 3 seconds that would be fine)

With the information I got from the example code I know it can be done because the code example its self dose it.

Arya

Wanderer
Actually what you really need to use the SDK, besides some programming knowledge of course, is some insight into how the UO client works. Once you have an idea of what you want to do, it should be pretty easy.

You need to find the world location of the client, the best guess is the Client class. You don't really need documentation for that... also if you look in the SDK you see a class called Map with a static method called GetImage. That's all pretty easy to figure out.

Use the object browser to look at the classes. They are all named after what they represent. Hue is a hue, Client is the client, and so on...

Also if you need to display the map, try my map viewer (which is on my site, WWW button below).

Bradley

Sorceror
hcker2000 said:
An example would be a line that says Map map;
This is standard c# and has nothing to do with the SDK. That line mearly declares a variabled named "map", of the type "Map".

if you are more familiar with visual basic it is the equivilant of "Dim map as Map".

If you want some examples of how to use the SDK do a search for my gump editor, I have the full source code posted on the forums.

AgentSmith

Wanderer
Another way of discovering the SDK

If you dont have a nice .NET IDE to develop with, then discovering what the Ultima SDK has to offer is alot harder.

However there are a heap of decompilers that make the task rather simple.

The one I use that works like a charm is :

http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/

It even hyperlinks between functions, classes and variables and where there defined.

Cheers
Agent Smith

AgentSmith

Wanderer
Not having a go or anything. But why would looking at the structure of a free library in a decompiler be banable ?

I mean its not like you would gain anything other than seeing whats on offer to be used. If you wanted to rewrite it you are just plain stupid as its free.

If Kerrios didnt want people seeing whats in it then there are simple ways to scramble it so that it cant be easily decompiled.

I didnt mean to upset any one posting about alternatives to seeing what the SDK has to offer. Sometimes knowing a function signature and the implied naming arent enough.

Eitherway I will respect the authors wishes.

Cheers
Agent Smith

Phantom

Knight
Because people will look at other things.

The SDK is under the same license as RunUO, Razor, and Others.

Till he gives us the source to the DLL assume its not polite to look at it.

Bradley

Sorceror
Phantom said:
Because people will look at other things.

The SDK is under the same license as RunUO, Razor, and Others.

Till he gives us the source to the DLL assume its not polite to look at it.

I just reread the license that One must agree to before downloading RunUO or the SDK. I see NO MENTION of decompiling in this license. I've said it before, and I'll say it one more time. If you don't want people decompiling your stuff and you want a legal leg to stand you will need to put a clause like that into your license.

And on a separate note. It is never again any law to decompile an application, it's only bad if you distribute that decompiled source to others.

.NET is interesting in this regard too, in that much of a the "Interesting" stuff you can get to without even decompiling, it's all stored in MetaData, as plain text information embedded in the file.

Plus .NET application are never really compiled in the traditional until you execute the program. So is it really "decompiling" to reduce a .NET application's EXE into it's IL Code?

psz

Administrator
They are copyrighted (Razor, RunUO, the SDK, KUOC, etc). Without the authorisation of the copyright holder, you do not have the right to decompile the code. Period.

None of the abovementioned tools are handled by the GPL. None of them are opensource.

Besides, you are WRONG anyway:

10. In addition to local, federal, and international laws
prohibiting reverse engineering, the Licensee herby agrees to at no
time make any attempts to decompile RunUO or associated libraries

or alter them in any way other without express written consent
from the author.

That is on the download page when you click the SDK link. The SDK is an "associated library"

http://www.runuo.com/downloads/get_file.php?file=9

So please, don't try to find a way around it. Just don't decompile the stuff on this site.