RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faster Razor?

Kenko

Page
Faster Razor?

Is there a way to make Razor faster?
I mean, the client alone is really faster than the client w/ Razor.
So I was wondering if maybe you could add an option to disable features which you won't use (in the installer), and then your Razor won't be that much overloaded with features you don't use that often.

Ilutzio

Sorceror
I too think this would be a good idea.
And i agree to what Kenko said, about Razor with Client is noticably slower then only Client. (Atleast on my 1.73 CPU with 768 RAM.)

Kenko

Page
wtf I got negative karma for this? -_-
At least you could of have commented why the heck you gave it to me, big guy.

Ilutzio

Sorceror
Yeah, i recieved an anonymous negg for my previous one aswell.
Someone doesn't think speeding up razor is a good thing.
*Waits patiently for the karma to get tagged again.*

St George

Wanderer
Take some karma from me too, but i will agree to the above. speed is not so evil. Especially for craftsmen, while in pvp it will just give a smoother feeling. I have noticed however a faster responce from my clitn recently. I cant say if it is Razor or the client itself though. I miss how speedy PlayUO was responding to my requests. (dont start a plugin argument please, i am talking about how buttons where fast)

Ilutzio

Sorceror
WarAngel said:
Wtf? How would the client w/ Razor ever be faster than just the client?
I think both he and i meen that it's considerably slower with Razor. While it have to get a little slower, it shoulden't become considerably slower.

WarAngel

Wanderer
Ilutzio said:
I think both he and i meen that it's considerably slower with Razor. While it have to get a little slower, it shoulden't become considerably slower.

I've never had any performance problems with Razor. I've never even noticed a real difference. :/

Kenko

Page
WarAngel said:
Wtf? How would the client w/ Razor ever be faster than just the client?
I just am saying that Razor slows down quite a lot the performance, and I'm considering ways to reduce that performance downgrade.

Zippy

Razor Creator
You'll have to explain what exactly you think Razor slows down.

As far as I know the only thing possible for Razor to slow down is general client communications between the client and the server.... but all of the razor features use this functionality. Disabling all of the agents for example would have no impact on anything else Razor does. 99% of the features in Razor don't do anything at all unless you use them, so "disabling" them would have no effect. If you just ignore them they are effectively disabled.

Most of the time people perceive a slow down where none exists. The object delay queue sometimes makes people think that razor is "slow" but actually it is that the client was designed to make these actions take a really long time... Razor queues them and plays them back more slowly so that they all get performed instead of some getting skipped and telling you "You must wait to perform another action."

Kenko

Page
Anyways I have that option disabled.

Ok, I might not have the best of the computers, but if I use the client alone I run really faster/smootherly than with Razor (of course you idiot, you are attaching a program to it). I know it, but then this difference can't be issued any ways? Aren't there "more efficient" ways to attach Razor to clients?

Ilutzio

Sorceror
UOA doesn't cause the same slowdown as Razor does. That does off corse depend on the server aswell, EA servers are genrally way better then free shards'.

I will do some memory and bandwidth history testing with both Razor and UOA in different situation; when i get the time.

Slopko

Wanderer
seriously razor is really slow as far as cpu usage goes, it really slows down running around houses/high populated areas, what are the recommended settings as far as smart cpu reducation/client priority for optimal performance?

Jeff

Lord
Slopko said:
seriously razor is really slow as far as cpu usage goes, it really slows down running around houses/high populated areas, what are the recommended settings as far as smart cpu reducation/client priority for optimal performance?
You must have a Pentium 133mhz machine... TBH i dotn notice any difference in play between using and not using razor on my 4200+ AMD 64 X2 :shrugs:

Zippy

Razor Creator
I have never seen Razor use more than 1% cpu and never for more than a second or two. The client, depending on the version, consistently uses 50% - 100% CPU with or without Razor.

Have you actually looked at a CPU graph while Razor is running?

Slopko

Wanderer
Jeff said:
You must have a Pentium 133mhz machine... TBH i dotn notice any difference in play between using and not using razor on my 4200+ AMD 64 X2 :shrugs:
no
Zippy said:
I have never seen Razor use more than 1% cpu and never for more than a second or two. The client, depending on the version, consistently uses 50% - 100% CPU with or without Razor.

Have you actually looked at a CPU graph while Razor is running?

Unfortunatly I haven't gotten the chance to run any tests on cpu usage with razor and without razor, in fact I barely remember how to connect to uogamers with just the client.

but what you recommend for settings as far as smart cpu reduction/client priority.

St George

Wanderer
Zippy said:
You'll have to explain what exactly you think Razor slows down.

As far as I know the only thing possible for Razor to slow down is general client communications between the client and the server.... but all of the razor features use this functionality. Disabling all of the agents for example would have no impact on anything else Razor does. 99% of the features in Razor don't do anything at all unless you use them, so "disabling" them would have no effect. If you just ignore them they are effectively disabled.

Most of the time people perceive a slow down where none exists. The object delay queue sometimes makes people think that razor is "slow" but actually it is that the client was designed to make these actions take a really long time... Razor queues them and plays them back more slowly so that they all get performed instead of some getting skipped and telling you "You must wait to perform another action."

Why should Razor respect the uo client's timeouts? I think they are either too strict or the client itself is slow. Razor should bypass this and be more loose about waiting for an aknowledgement. Isnt that what PlayUO did?