RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Flame] My ISP

Seven

Sorceror
[Flame] My ISP

I am really getting sick of centurytel. I live in Tomah, WI and don't have much options on ISP so I took their highest options which was 1.5Mbps D/L . I was unpleased they didn't offer a dedicated gamer option that speakeasy offers. I did check into the gamer option that speakeasy offers for gaming host, but they don't seem to offer it in my area at this time.

Anyways with centurytel I was getting about 1.2Mbps on average then they f'ed with the mapping and made it so I couldn't connect. They fixed it but now I go around 200-600kbps. Usually not even 50% of what I should. I have called in many times saying I'm having the same problems. We even trouble shooted with using different cords, etc and even removing all phones / dsl filters / etc.

Last friday I called in again saying same problems. They left a message later saying it was a mapping problem AGAIN and said they have fixed it. Checked my speeds just now... Not even 50% of what I should have.

I even told them its lucky for them I don't have another DSL provider in my area. I would switch to a better provider in a split second. (I can't choose cable as an option as I don't have a cable line running to my house)

So basiclly for this thread tell me your experience with bad providers? And who are you with now?

blackgriffin

Wanderer
i'm stuck in the same situation as you man. i'm in a controlled neighborhood, so only 1 cable and 1 dsl provider are allowed to service my neighborhood. We can't go with the DSL company, because we owe them like $300. So we're stuck with our current provider, even though they completely screwed us for 2 months because they shut off our tv and internet. :S The company I use right now is KAS Cable.

A friend of mine didn't have a good enough line, and SBC had to replace it so that her new company could run through it. Not sure what her company is now though :S

Seven

Sorceror
Here is a quote from dslreports.com from a user from my city.. I find it funny:

signed up for 512/256 not even close, they had every excuse in the book... I should tell you i run a company that sets up small comapnies around the upper midwest,, so i have extensivie knowledge of this type of service,,, first of all there tech support only reads off a script, if you ask a specefic question they dont have a clue as to what your talking about,, i told one that i had pinged them and got a very low reading,, he told me to "stay on the line and he was going to check to see if that was allowed" yeah i think he was new

They have some terriffic problems with alot of there routers, phone lines, sub stations,, the list just goes on,, i do notice the service in LaCrosse Wi is much better than in Tomah,, but all over the state it is different,, and the rates are very different from city to city,,, we average about 378 downstream and just recently our up stream is over 128 just tested again and are running an unreal 414/ 128 there is way to much overhead on there system to loose 20% is unacceptable for the rates they charge... i should mention i am less than 1/2 mile from the station,, while intstalling computing systems with different DSL carriers i have noticed that when were that close i have never had one test below 10% loss and the usuals are around 475 i finally got to talk to one of the "Good ole boys" with Centurytel in La. and he assured me they are going to be updating alot in the near future and there pings and speed test will be alot better,,, but they have no intention of running higher bandwith,(which i believe the over sold) and that was confirmed by him at first,, our Dsl is running better but for 59.00 a monthy plus 10.00 a month for the modem it is to pricey,, i have worked with a few small companies that have installed the 2-way directv dish and they are both running 375-385 down and 128 upstream someting to consider when my contract is up this april...

we had switched from Charter pipeline and that was a disaster,, never worked, way to much down time,,, the DSL with centurytel has been alot more stable in the past few months but still to much packet loss,, i had installed a linksys router about 3 months back and alot of the problems went away with that,, but centurytels software is a joke and robs to much from the speed,, with the router we went from 335 to 375 i think that says alot in itself,,, oh by the way alot of the really good reviews are more than likely written by centurytel employees i know 2 that have written reviews on this board both are in management

Centurytel could be a great Dsl provider but they need to clean house and put people in charge that know about the internet,, almost all the Dsl employees are from the recent office closing around the state and had to get a crash coarse in DSL... Oh they also control the Area and will not let anyother Providers get into the area,, they have a monopoly on service in alot of areas and that is not right i think a little government over site on these providers is warranted,, oh and charging you 35.00 to test you line to see if DSL will work for you is another scam they do, first of all it took them almost 2 weeks to test my line (this is done at there station) but it has to be scheduled what a joke...after gettting all the equipment,, took me a few minutes to install, was on line in a few minutes but then the party started would keep resetting itself ( there term not mine) this went on for about 2 months and 2 modems nothing wrong with the modems... never have reached the magical number they promissed me when ordering but then again i never expected it if you order from them just make sure you know what your doing... and do not believe the techs your speed will be alot faster then dial up but then again hey your paying for it,,, more people should be complaining if they sell you 512 they should have to deliver no less than a 10% loss or your monthly charge should be less,,,in other words there not selling 512 service,, i have to deal with alot of unhappy people in the area about this when working on there puters

if you go to work and only do 70% of your job you may get fired

Yeah I think where I live its controlled too... because speakeasy said centurytel would have to move out for them to come in... :/ LAME... wheres the competition?!

Nochte

Wanderer
i had direcway for 18 months. 17 of those months were shit. "why didn't we stop service," you're asking? you're required to sign an 18 month contract with them. "why go with anyone that makes you sign that long of a contract?" we live out in the boons, they were it.
they advertise "blazing fast uploads and downloads" vehemently. on a LUCKY day, i would get 768k (though we were guaranteed at least 1.5meg) down, and 80k up (even though they advertised 768k up)
they advertise "always on." if by "always on" they mean "goes down for at least an hour twice a week while you're trying to work," then they were spot on.
ping times? 5000+ ms (no, that's not a typo. 5 seconds). it's not 5 seconds from here to the atmosphere and back, this much I know for a fact. (they guarantee 350 ms one-way, or 700 ms round-trip)
customer service? outsourced to pakistan or some bullshit two months after we signed on. what's that mean? i don't know about you all, but i speak english here in texas, i expect the guy on the other end of the line to speak it at least half-way decently, especially if i'm paying him 100$/month.
tech support? they couldn't route themselves out of a bag on a clear day. "i see here that it's raining in your area, that will cause some problems with your satelite" on a completely clear afternoon is usually their answer.

don't try the "my ISP blows worse than your ISP" game around me ;)

Phantom

Knight
Cable Industry at one time was price controlled. Actually in ways it still is, because they offer the city a bide and the best in the eyes of the city is accepted.

What this means is the company with the most power in a region, gets the contract, and can raise the prices to their contract ( they contract a price raise you gota bet ).

Verizon is trying to get a cable contract in Florida.

They claim they need two different contracts ( internet and cable ) even though Verizon would be using the same line.

Verizon is going to challenge this, IF they win, it could allow for a change.

Interent isn't regulated but since most of the time cable internet is the same company clearly thats a problem.

ASayre

RunUO Developer
TheOutkastDev said:
I love my provider, RoadRunner. I have 23-25ms ping to all of the UOGamers servers.

Maybe cause you also live close-by (in the general scheme of things) to the servers ;p

Jomasin

Wanderer
i use Cox comunications, its pretty good, tho some times its been bad, i used to get disconnected ALOT , right in the middle of games made me pretty mad.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
RoadRunner r0xx0rs!!

I dunno about UOGamers pings, though.
But I wish I was on campus still...cause ResNet is the best. 8Mb/s either way. Yes. You may drool.

As it is, I have to stick with RR, since it's better than SBC's DSL package.

Seven

Sorceror
Just wanted to let everyone know... now my ISP kicks me off every 2 mins... yay :)
I just got this message in vefore it kicked me off.... This sucks =(

Seven

Sorceror
I should... :mad: ... damn... this makes me angry! WHY MUST CENTURYTEL BE THE ONLY DSL PROVIDER IN MY AREA!!! *CRY*

Kwwres10

Wanderer
Seven said:
I am really getting sick of centurytel. I live in Tomah, WI and don't have much options on ISP so I took their highest options which was 1.5Mbps D/L . I was unpleased they didn't offer a dedicated gamer option that speakeasy offers. I did check into the gamer option that speakeasy offers for gaming host, but they don't seem to offer it in my area at this time.

Anyways with centurytel I was getting about 1.2Mbps on average then they f'ed with the mapping and made it so I couldn't connect. They fixed it but now I go around 200-600kbps. Usually not even 50% of what I should. I have called in many times saying I'm having the same problems. We even trouble shooted with using different cords, etc and even removing all phones / dsl filters / etc.

Last friday I called in again saying same problems. They left a message later saying it was a mapping problem AGAIN and said they have fixed it. Checked my speeds just now... Not even 50% of what I should have.

I even told them its lucky for them I don't have another DSL provider in my area. I would switch to a better provider in a split second. (I can't choose cable as an option as I don't have a cable line running to my house)

So basiclly for this thread tell me your experience with bad providers? And who are you with now?

:eek:

600kb? ROFL. I am on Comcast. $60 a month for 4.2-4.0 MB cable and 74 channels of T.V. I have my shard up and 3 UO clients, 3 Instant Messengers, and 4 Internet Explorers all open. I am still working at 2.5 MB with all that shit open. Your conn stinkz, lol. That.. Is reallly sad. Sorry. Just thought I would gloat a bit.... :D

HAHA!
-NoX

A_Li_N

Knight
I as well am on Comcast. Trying to get a new service started in our new apt...webpage is advertising basic internet at 42.95, and you can get the 6MB down / 768 up for $10 more. I tried to get things signed up today, but they said the actual price for internet is 55, not the 43. (65 not 55 for the extra BW) But other than that, Comcast kicks ass...Cable > DSL anyday, and costs the same. (50 for cable...25 for DSL + 25 for phoneline) Now I just need to get a good router that doesn't shut off every night :D

Seven

Sorceror
Kwwres10 said:
:eek:

600kb? ROFL. I am on Comcast. $60 a month for 4.2-4.0 MB cable and 74 channels of T.V. I have my shard up and 3 UO clients, 3 Instant Messengers, and 4 Internet Explorers all open. I am still working at 2.5 MB with all that shit open. Your conn stinkz, lol. That.. Is reallly sad. Sorry. Just thought I would gloat a bit.... :D

HAHA!
-NoX
... Wrong post =P

600kbps was what I was going when they didn't fix it. My normal connection speed is 1.5kbps.

CenturyTel DSL is the only provider in my area. Also I can't get cable because we don't have cable where I live.

If I could get better I would. I will have to deal with this for now.