RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Follow Command

[Follow Command

Follow Command

Description:
A way to follow players, or other staff, without having to use the .admin menu and keep on clicking Go To or other more inefficient ways of doing so. When you are following someone using the [follow command it moves you to their location every few seconds without you having to do anything. When you have chosen your target it pops up a small gump to show you the name of the person you are following and a button to cancel following them.

Installation:
Download the FollowCommand.zip below.
Unzip the Follow.cs into the Commands folder or any folder of your choosing in your Scripts directory.
Restart your server and you are ready to go.

Usage:
Type [follow in game (Counselor +) and target who you wish to follow.
If the player that you target has a higher accesslevel than you then you will not be able to follow them.
If you are following a staffmember with accesslevel equal to your own and they go invis then you will stop following them, unless you are in their Visibility List in which case you will continue to follow them.
If you or your target go offline then you will stop following them.

Attachments

• Follow.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 178

Karmageddon

Sorceror
There is also a way to do this without this script. I believe it is a client thing, but all you do is hold alt down and click on the mobile you want to follow. Players can use this anytime they want, but not sure if they can follow staff with it.

This is not trying to put your script down or anything, just making it known about what can be done through the client.

Pyro-Tech

Knight
Karmageddon said:
There is also a way to do this without this script. I believe it is a client thing, but all you do is hold alt down and click on the mobile you want to follow. Players can use this anytime they want, but not sure if they can follow staff with it.

This is not trying to put your script down or anything, just making it known about what can be done through the client.

It is alt+ left click, but it follows with steps and stops if they get out of range....this command is helpfull for staff to follow their players around when they are doing all there recalling and what not.

i think that the timer is better than every move....cause it would suck being thrown right on top of them every time they move a tile

great script...keep it up

Pyro-Tech said:
It is alt+ left click, but it follows with steps and stops if they get out of range....this command is helpfull for staff to follow their players around when they are doing all there recalling and what not.

i think that the timer is better than every move....cause it would suck being thrown right on top of them every time they move a tile

Cheers for the comments guys.
I decided to use the timer instead of the movement eventsink purely because of what PyroTech said above, it would be a good way of doing it though.

daat99

Staff member
Pyro-Tech said:

Timer is a realy bad idea.
You can always use the OnMove event but have a datetime variable that is reset every 5 seconds.
Than you simply make sure to move once every 5 seconds or so.
It'll save tons of cpu...

Yeh thats a really good idea actually Daat. I try to steer clear of timers when I can now usually, DateTimes are great :D

Edit: However, if the person recalls away and then doesnt move you will be left at their old location and won't be moved to where they are now. This means that in the onmovement eventsink you would have to check to make sure that the hastable contains the player that is moving, it will also have to check the movement of the person you are following and your own movement, would that not be as cpu using as a timer...? lol

Pyro-Tech

Knight
daat99 said:
Timer is a realy bad idea.
You can always use the OnMove event but have a datetime variable that is reset every 5 seconds.
Than you simply make sure to move once every 5 seconds or so.
It'll save tons of cpu...

im not a programmer, so i don't know what types of methods would take up a given amount of cpu...i honestly would think that a timer being run would be less than a given command being sent every time a person moves:eek:

especially since the command wouldn't be used by a bunch of people at one time i would think....

but hey, like i said....im not a programmer lol :D

noob2

Wanderer
you know theres already a build in system to follow ppl right?

all you do is hold alt then click the person you want to follow

Pyro-Tech

Knight
noob2 said:
you know theres already a build in system to follow ppl right?

all you do is hold alt then click the person you want to follow

This has already been discussed along with the differences....go ahead and read the thread and you will see how this funcitons.