RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Freezing UO w/ Vista

elmor

Wanderer
Freezing UO w/ Vista

Well I checked the forums and couldn't find anything to match this, but if this is already answered, I apologize.

Well basically when I have Ultima Online running if I switch to another window (e.g. Mozilla, Windows Media Player), then when I switch back to UO, UO windows freezes (for those who use Vista it becomes transparent-whitey). It doesn't go away if I wait but as soon as I click on the "Use Smart CPU Reduction" option in the Razor window it unfreezes.

Well I hope I was able to explain the problem, if you want any kind of clarifications please ask and thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers ;)

infotech1

Sorceror
I have the same problem and posted about it around a month ago.
Exactly the same symptons and toggling that option unfreezes it.

Very annoying when running two clients.

Tryed a fair few things and nothing seems to fix it.

elmor

Wanderer
Oh sorry, I didn't exactly specify that.

It doesn't matter if it's on or off, it still freezes. But it unfreezes if you click on it, regardless of if it's checked or not.
And yes it only happens when I try to run multi-client on a server.

Zippy

Razor Creator
This sounds like it is really just a Vista incompatability in the client. Since the client was never meant to run multiple instances (and thus Razor allowing you to do so is a bit of a 'hack').

I don't know why toggling smart cpu would cause the client to unfreeze through, that seems to suggest the problem has something to do with UO's crappy I/O loops in sockets (which is what smart cpu reduction interacts with)... But I won't be able to fix this issue because:
1) It is probably pretty complicated and has to down with an underlying flaw in how UO handles socket I/O.
2) This is a flaw in the design of UO and would be very hard to change.
3) The flaw is somehow causing problems in Vista only
4) I donot own Vista, and I really hope to never own it.

elmor

Wanderer
Well okay than, I guess I have to live with it :)
Thanks for the replies though, and keep up the good job ;)

Cronus3166

Wanderer
I had the same issue, so I checked the UO help forums and actually found the answer :)

I did this to both my Razor and my UO and its been fine since.

------------

This game was created before Windows Vista was released. Unfortunately Electronic Arts cannot guarantee compatibility with Windows Vista for all games.

If you are having problems running a game and you think it is related to compatibility with Windows Vista, you can try to get the game to work by running it in Compatibility Mode.

Right-click the game's desktop shortcut icon and choose 'Properties'.
In the Properties Panel, click the 'Compatibility' tab.
Place a check in the 'Compatibility Mode' checkbox.
Select Windows XP (Service Pack 2) in the mode box.
Click 'Apply' to save your changes.

If you did not opt to have a desktop icon installed:

Find the game icon listed in your Games directory.
Right-click on the game and click on 'Customize'. This will bring up the Customize menu.
Select 'Play'.
Select ' Edit'.
This will bring up the Properties screen. Click the 'Compatibility' tab.
Check 'Run in Compatibility Mode' and then choose Windows XP (or whatever operating system the game was designed for).
Press 'Apply' then press 'OK'. You will be back at the customize menu.
Close the customize screen.
Now the game is configured to run in Compatibility Mode.

Please note that this will only make the game run in Compatibility Mode if you click on the shortcut that you set Compatibility Mode for. All other shortcut icons (such as in your Start menu) will have to have these changes made as well.

If the game continues to fail, you may need to edit the run features of the game to override User Account Control features in Windows Vista.

Note: You will be altering Operating System security and Parental Controls when performing the steps below. Please be aware that if you follow these steps, you will need to contact Microsoft for further support.

elmor

Wanderer
Ah yes, of course. Compatibility mode.
Totally forgot about that..
Well my problem is fixed now, so thanks for the replies everyone and thanks for the solution Cronus3166!

Cheers ;)

mine when i start it up says unable to load profile, so i make new one then when i get to account log in it says verifying account forever and wont log in osi and on demise. what do i do??

Snowlord

Sorceror
help

after i choose the character i want to play.. it trys to log in.. then stops just before i can see my character in the world. razor show my regs at top. but it is still the small screen, but is all black excpet the razor and window outline.

anyone have any ideas?

thanks.