RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genesis 2.5.0a Release

WarUO

Sorceror
Are you still working on this? The website no longer works and I would like to download the program again. Loved it when I used it but I deleted by accident and am trying to get it again.

Ravenal

Knight
WarUO;848203 said:
Are you still working on this? The website no longer works and I would like to download the program again. Loved it when I used it but I deleted by accident and am trying to get it again.

Right now MyGameTools.com will remain down for awhile until I can afford a windows host that will support WCF. I didn't want to say it but right now I am actually focusing on the RunUO A.I. more than anything, once that is undergo heavy testing on the UO Gamers servers or one of the big test centers that will be opened up. If all goes well and what not, I will be working and continuing on the project I've been working on which is Genesis 3. I cannot promise right now, but I can ensure you that is what I am planning on doing.

Ravenal

Knight
WarUO;848249 said:
Thank you for the quick response. Guess I will just have to wait and see what happens.

I do apologize, I will let you know as soon as Genesis 3 and MyGameTools are up and running again.

I also have to say thanks, because I didn't realize there are some people who are still interested in it...

WarUO

Sorceror
I don't know about everyone else but I am very interested in it. I loved useing it when I did have it. Things happen though and I had to restore my computer so I lost the program. But it is a good thing to hear that you are still thinking about working on it.

Ravenal

Knight
WarUO;848258 said:
I don't know about everyone else but I am very interested in it. I loved using it when I did have it. Things happen though and I had to restore my computer so I lost the program. But it is a good thing to hear that you are still thinking about working on it.

Yeah, there are just to many problems with the GUI of Genesis 2.5 and the local database of it as well. I will be working on it again soon and plans to use Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). I will have an external database which will host all the "Default" Core transitions separate from your internal custom work. You will be able to control much more and so will I based on the two databases. I am still in the process of trying to figure out how to do it all, since the transition data and all that is the most important aspect of the tool, the visualization is not my priority but is a nice thing to keep it simple. Genesis 2.5 can be pretty overly complicated for those who are just starting the map making. One thing that will be different in 3.0 is that there will be no more dependency for a Photoshop program. As Genesis 3 will have it's own design like drawing. I am aiming for something similar to Photoshop but without all the unneeded gadgets that come with it.

Things Genesis 3 will have that Photoshop has and does not have

• Custom Brushes - certain brushes will allow you to do both altitude and terrain on the fly, giving you a support of 65536 total terrain like colors to choose from, where in the past you could only do about 256 which was more than enough but the goal is to make it plenty =). The brushes will have things like "Valleys", "Canyons", "Cliffside", "Embankments", "Coastline", "Costal CliffsCoa", "Rivers", "Creeks" for different aspect which each one is uniquly designed to give you water/altitude realisticly. Some brushes will give you true mountain based on the size of the mountain. For example the larger the mountain area the higher it will become but you can define these rules for the brushes.
  • Layers - Each layer represents a new layout design, the top layer overrides the bottom layer, allowing you to define each layer for different purposes. You can setup rules for those layers which the Compiler will obey. For example. The first layer which cannot would basically be your oceans or dungeon area (Black Region). The 2nd layer you can create what I will call "Landscape Overlay", basically its an area where you fill in that will represent your "Terrain". What this is it is just a "Drawing feature" It allows you to design where your ocean/shallow water is located, allowing the perfect shallow water design that can be adjusted as you draw, so the thicker means more shallow water the less the more dense until it reaches the minimum value which will be 7. After that you can create the 3rd layer, which in fact allows you to fill in the areas you defined as "Landscape Overlay" and quickly see your world unfold within matter of minutes. By default there will be 6 layers, Base, Landscape Overlay, Terrain + Altitude. The 4th layer will represent your Roads and road layout for cities. The 5th layer which will represent your city layout, it will function just like the Landscape Overlay. This allows you to see where you want your Cities to be placed at, this also tells the compiler not to generate statics in these areas, since you will manually design these Area yourself. Using a tool like CentrED. The final layer will represent your City base design, basically where the floors are at, and what not, this is also the layer where you would want to do the final touch-ups like farmlands and what not.
  • Statics - Statics will never randomize unless its the first time randomization. So for example, once the map randomizes the world for the first time, it will NEVER randomize for that same spot again. The map program will compare the maps from what you compiled with Genesis 3, and or worked with CentrED. This allows you to freely use both programs without loss of work, and there will be no such thing as "One way" anymore IE Once you generate your map with Genesis 3 you can't generate it again, this is a one way thing. And that rule will never be defined anymore as like it was in Genesis 2.5 and older.
  • Bitmap Images - Genesis 3 will no longer have "Bitmap Images" that you draw from. The importing will only import water and land and that is it, it will create the default layers where Base layer will become ocean/dungeon, and the land layout will be marked on the new map, thus saving you some time from having to redesign the map.
If you have any questions or suggestions let me know here...

WhoopeR

Wanderer
Eta

Hey!

I was wondering if there is any ETA for Genesis? Site seems to be still down and i was wondering if i could get older version of genesis from anywhere?