RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting Started

swordnpen

Wanderer
I used to run a RunUO server for myself and a couple friends a few years ago, but It's been a long time, and I haven't been keeping track of the changes. I think the last version I used was RunUO 2.0. Anyway, I don't remember how to set everything up anymore, and before I get started, I wanted to read as much as I can on these forums. One thing I have noticed is that the guides in the sticky threads on top of this new join forum are the same ones that were here when I was here years ago, and they haven't really changed much. I can see by the dates on these guides that none of them have been updated in years. Before I start following these guides in setting up my server, I was wondering, are they still valid, or are they so out of date that following them won't work anymore, and nobody has bothered to update the sticky threads in all these years?

Dian

Sorceror
Yeah, well for the most part the code has not changed enough to make those stickies obsolete. Not much in the way of setup or getting started has changed all that much. Your biggest issue would be the changes EA games has made, and how it effects the current RunUO server.

If you run a standard distro RunUO package 2.2 or 2.3 (cant remember) you may need to limit your UO client version to 7.0.23 or lower. Otherwise, you will need to obtain the latest SVN version of RunUO for a UO client version newer than 7.0.23. There are plenty of posts around here dealing with falling through floors and such, that explain the conflicts caused between having a new UO client and older RunUO server.

Otherwise, once you get the right RunUO server and UO client, everything else should fall in place for you considering you have some experience as you mentioned. It is most dependent on what kind of UO erra you are wanting to build.

There are plenty of good folks still around here to offer help along the way.

swordnpen

Wanderer
Is there a guide to compiling the svn with Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop buried in these forums somewhere?

swordnpen

Wanderer
I just found out about ServUO, and downloaded that since I don't know how to compile things in MS Visual Studio yet, and that seems to work with the most recent client version. However I still find myself having to do most of my research on these forums, since not as many things are documented over there yet, and a lot of things still seem to be compatible.

When I used to have my RunUO 2.0 shard running on my home network years ago, I had moongates to tram removed. Is it still possible to do this just by commenting them out in PublicMoongates.cs?

Johan F

Wanderer
Is there a guide to compiling the svn with Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012 for Windows Desktop buried in these forums somewhere?

I would love to know this as well, I'll figure it out eventually but a simple guide for setting up the basic compile/launch/debug flow in VS would be nice