RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Group Coding

_Epila_

Sorceror
Is there out there any program that allow you to code your projects in a group? What i mean is, i do not want to use SVN solution because its timing problem: imagine that you and another user is modifying the same file at the same time. I cannot see what he is doing. When i commit my changes it will be uploaded to the serve. But when he commit his changes, mine will be lost/overriden by their. Is there any solution that do the same trick as http://typewith.me or lock the files while someone is editing? If possible, compatible with Visual Studio
Thanks

Jeff

Lord
Is there out there any program that allow you to code your projects in a group? What i mean is, i do not want to use SVN solution because its timing problem: imagine that you and another user is modifying the same file at the same time. I cannot see what he is doing. When i commit my changes it will be uploaded to the serve. But when he commit his changes, mine will be lost/overriden by their. Is there any solution that do the same trick as http://typewith.me or lock the files while someone is editing? If possible, compatible with Visual Studio
Thanks
SVN allows for merging and comes with a merge tool. Locking files is old, and not used in anything i've seen that is current. You might try GIT, or Mercurial but those offer the same issues you have with SVN. Group coding requires communication, you don't just code blind. You should communicate with your team and give each person assignments that are semi separate from each other in scope. SVN is really good at figuring out if you are adding code, or overwriting code that exists. Also, with SVN, if you keep to a strict habit of updating before comiting, you should have even less of these issues.