RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help a teacher make education better.

zythezero

Sorceror
Hello all,
I am a teacher, I travel to different countries and I am very passionate about education. As of now I am getting my masters' degree in elementary education, I will certified K-12 (7-12 social studies) after September. Recently I had a great idea. I thought I could use minecraft to teach my students about a lot of subjects, just as an example because it is 3D I could use it to teach volume. Then I got really thinking. Isn't UO a hundred times better and can do so much more? Then I recalled these forums. I am not asking for people to script for me, I am asking for your expertise and guidance in finding already made scripts that could be used to complete this project. I have a good understanding of how UO works but am a little shaky where all the scripts go. Here is exactly what I am looking to do:

Create a simulation for students of what it would be like to attempt to build a colony or start an early civilization (depending how I modify the lesson and game content)
They would need to be able to:
1. Till soil and plant crops. - think UO live has someway of making this possible
2. Cut down and plant trees. - same as above, possible with UO live?
3. Raise and breed animals. - would also be nice if anyone knew a way for tamed pets to die if they were not fed.
4. Build structures. (houses, barns, fences, walls, ext) -This one I know there are a hundred ways to do it but I was hoping for feedback what you would think is the best way.
5. A way to measure tiles if possible.
I would like to be able to:
1. Cause natural disasters. Fires and floods that could delete structures. I know this one would need to be through UO Live and I am not sure if anyone has gotten that specific yet.

I am planning on documenting, making instructions and developing this into a project that any teacher can use. Of course, this goes without saying, this is for a private server that is for educators and is not in any way, shape or form designed for profit or unlicensed use.​
P.S. if anyone would like a run down of exactly how I plan to incorporate different subject content into this lesson I would be more than happy to give a detailed explanation.​

pooka01

Sorceror
C# was my first language, it is what made me go into programming at college, so uo is a good choice indeed.
The only problem is the client files, distributing files to people that didn't buy etc.

As for minecraft, we don't have access to the direct code as it's back engineered codes (missing stuffs etc), so confusion could occur.
It is in java, which is a really good language that i now use on a regular basis, and mojang don't care about copyright that much as i heard.

Both are good stuffs.

My personal choice would be Ultima online, as it is more complete and we know where goes stuffs.
It also depends of the level in programming of the students, as uo is fairly average in content to understand.

Sythen

Sorceror
Yea I had an idea like this when I taught in a classroom. The problem you'll face, especially with public school, is your administration and parents may not like the idea that you're using a video game. Plus the school board will have an issue with your using a game illegally. I don't care what anyone on here says, it is and will always be ILLEGAL to emulate Ultima Online; whether or not the company who owns it wants to prosecute is another story. So I wish you luck with your endeavor but don't say you weren't warned. School Boards across the country tend to frown upon piracy.