RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herding Skill

iwantmypot

Wanderer
Herding Skill

Ok... I went to test herding on UOGamers:Demise to see if it had been fixed there yet, and no... it's still broken. (I'm under the impression that this is the most up-to-date shard compared to OSI)

So let me list the problems...

1) When you herd an animal onto yourself, it walks to the tile you're standing on. It's supposed to follow you. Now... when a creature is herded onto you, it does not take up follower slots (much like necro animations)... they simply follow you like pets.

2) Every tamable creature in the game is supposed to be herdable. The skill for herding requires 2/3rds of the taming skill required to tame the creature.(or simply 30 less skill than taming. I just know I could herd dragons at 60 herding)

to fix the tamable/herdable issue, I sugguest linking the skills somehow so that herding looks at the required taming for a creature, and uses that number to determine what change the shepherd has at herding the creature.

---------------------------------------------------
(people responsible for the skill development don't need to read below.)

now to address the people who want to think herding is a useless skill.

I was paid on EA shards to assist tamers in getting new pets. Typically it was 5k a pet, but for the harder creatures (reptalons, cu sidhe, fire steeds) I charged 10k.

template was...
Herding -> to herd the animals
Ninjitsu -> to move like I was mounted while I stealthed
Hiding -> to become hidden
Stealth -> so aggressive creatures didn't attack me
Peacemaking -> to peace the animal while it was being tamed
Musicanship -> because peacing needs this skill
Focus -> So I had the stamina to run if I was revealed.

thus I could herd a rune beetle to the moongate so the tamer wouldn't have to find it and attempt to tame it in the hostile area's it usually spawned in. I could move a reptalon to the doors of the labyrinth so the tamer wouldn't have to go past all the minotars and face other reptalons at the same time. It was easy work for good pay.

Explanation to the violent people...
I could herd 20 dragons to the entrance of destard, and when someone entered, they all jumped on them. I then herded them away and looted the body. Nobody survived a 20 dragon gank.

so yes... herding used in the right manner can be a useful skill.

I also use to herd cu's to the swoops too... annoyed many mages, and even some archers who liked to use lightning arrows on the swoop. Killed the archers, but only annoyed the mages because their EV's didn't do crap to the swoop.

Lungbutter

Wanderer
Hurding Response

I have to agree with this guy/girl (sorry i didnt bother to check for a peepee)

I used to hurd tons animals (birds, dogs, cats... whatever)
Then I would block people in "inadvertently" :D and I'd steal off them... theyd get blocked in or slowed down and I'd be long gone =P

I hope they dont Fix hurding.

iwantmypot

Wanderer
blah... I'll do it myself

I finally got a good C# compiler installed... so I'll handle the part where it checks whether the creature is herdable, and what chance the player has to herd it.

If I can figure out how the Necro Animations follow the necromancer without being tamed, then I'll add that in too, and then I'll submit it so the herding skill will finally actually work correctly.

snicker7

Sorceror
heh. The entire AI needs to be recoded in order for herding to work properly. I already tried to fix this once, and its a hack to get it to work. Necro animated corpses are "tamed" as far as the code is interpreted (Controlled=true) but also have a "summoned" flag set. You definately wouldn't want that for herdables.

iwantmypot

Wanderer
Hmm... I didn't know there was a (summoned) tag beneath the name of animated creatures.

I wonder if I could set the player as the waypoint on the creature. Probably not.

pacolaco2

Sorceror
Welll.... you Could modify the Basecreature so that it contains a "HerdMaster" property. You could then use this herdmaster property to check if said herdmaster (pmobile) is in range. If so, you could have the animal "come" to the herdmaster. I would suggest looking at the commands tamers use (all come) (all follow me) and then modify so that it is not verbal, and automatic.

Ps. This was a schlop of a post, I am currently unable to think straight.