RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much heating oil do you use?

Mortis

Knight
I am curious.

I use to use three two hundred and seventy five gallon tanks full a year for many years.
I did a lot of work sealing up my house and dropped it down to two tanks a year.
This year I shut one bedroom and closed the heat vents to it.
I heated my daughter's bedroom and the living room.
The dinning room, kitchen and laundry room I heated only enough to be bearable (about fifty to fifty-five degrees.
I also installed a programmable thermostat and set it to turn on only during sleeping hours twice a night for fifteen minutes.
I slept with only one micro fiber blanket on the couch in the living room and was fine.
My daughter slept on the second floor which was build thirty years later and is better insulated sleeping with heavier covers and much warmer than were I slept.

I was able in doing this to reduce my usage to one tank a year.

My house is only 1,500 square feet. Not a big house. Though also not a very small one.
I have forced hot air heating which is very easy to do such restrictions.

Quoted from the Hartford Currant.
"The average household in Connecticut uses 800 gallons of heating oil during the winter."
About what I use to use. This year I used 275 gallons. A big difference.

I would like to in the future if I can afford it, to install a add on wood furnace and connect it into my heating ducts.

Now. I am also considering installing a whole house fan in my attic for the summer.
I am tired of sweltering at night when it is a cool seventy degrees outside while in the house is still eighty-five after a ninety to one hundred degree day. Spending tons of money on air conditioning when fifteen minutes of fan time will cool my house to outside temperatures.
Window fans help but take forever to cool the house at night.
A whole house fan cost about two hundred dollars ( If you install it yourself ) and could save me thousands in cooling in my life time.
Cutting a hole in my attic to fit it, installing a louver to accommodate it and running an electrical line to power it is not an issue with me as I do such things as needed all the time.

So to get back to the point.
How many gallons of heating oil did you use?