RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to start a flame war.

Peoharen

Sorceror
How to start a flame war.

Hello scripters! In this guide I will discuss how to make yourself an annoying, useless member of runuo society so that you will be hated and flame wars will erupt in your footsteps.

Let's start out with some general pointers, shall we?

1) Politics and religions
Always the hot seat of emotions, this is one of the easiest ways to turn the thread into an apocalyptic nightmare. Simply insult any religion or the practitioners of such, or arrogantly claim you are smarter than a person of said religion, or act angst about how 'fake' a given religion is. The vast majority of the time this method works.

As for the political aspect, it's almost as easy. Merely bring up any controversial political activity from the last 300 years, or mention the name "George Bush". For added effect, misspell his name. George Bush, Dubya, George Bushwhack, and others are astoundingly effective ways to fan the embers of a flame war.

2) Profiles & Past posts.
An oft-overlooked way to start flame wars. Simply post about pointing out to everybody how much their profile or past posts suck. Soon enough somebody will rise to defend those who you insult, and that person will be met with a group of elitists taking your side. Next thing you know, it's mayhem. Even more creatively, make a bad profile yourself and flaunt it. This might inspire somebody else to start the fight, allowing you to sit back and laugh at how easy everybody is to manipulate into destroying each other.

3) Sexual discussion.
Nobody wants to know your sexual interests. We don't care if you want sex with men, women, children, and your dog, whatever. If somebody asks you, the polite response would be "That is not your business." Or, if you felt the need to discuss it, PMs would be appropriate.

Which is exactly why you should do the opposite! Randomly post on threads and flaunt your sexuality. It's a GREAT way to make anybody angry. They may have different reasons: Bigotry*, or perhaps just decency enough to find sexuality to be an inappropriate discussion topic. Whatever the case, it WILL lead to a flame war if you do it enough. If it doesn't succeed right off, continue to flaunt until somebody responds.

*Most people who will tell you to shut up about your sexuality are not bigots. However, claiming that everybody who flames you is a bigot is a fantastic and very popular way to add fuel to an already heated flame war.

4) Say something about another emulator that’s positive.
I guarantee somebody will flip out about this. After all, it is impossible that someone else on this planet could create something just as well.

5) Become friends with DontDropTheSOAD, or Phantom.
Flame war by association, baby!

6) Abuse the English language.
Programmers, Scripters and nice people, though not always geniuses, do tend to be a relatively intelligent bunch on average. Most, if not all, are great at spelling, grammar, and punctuation. Simply refuse to do any of these and within moments flames will ignite. That'll teach those smart people for demanding the 'courtesy' of taking more than three seconds to type a message.

7) Post somebody else's script.
Using a script of anybody else, especially Wyatt’s, is guaranteed to lead to them flaming you. RunUO is full of aspiring young scripters who somehow think they are entitled to rights regarding their creations. Post one and refuse to give credit, then watch them go nuts! Remind them that it's just a script for noobs to use.

8) Hypocrisy.
Complain about there being too few good members in threads, and then refuse to help out in anyway. Complain about mods being dumbasses, then break a rule and throw a fit about them being too strict. Complain that nobody programs as well as you, and then make a sucky script or steal one from RUOSI. Complain about script thieves when an uncredited script was just posted by you 5 minutes ago. Complain about RunUO being the worst Community ever, but refuse to leave and find a better one. Complain about everybody complaining so much.

9) When all else fails...
The usual stupid things, like insults or the capitalization of swear words; can sometimes start a flame war. This is a last resort, but is easy for even a beginning flamer to pull off in the event that other methods fall short.

10) And if the above does not work.
Post a post about how to start flame wars. Watch the many people who well reply back flaming you.

I know starting a flame war on the RunUO forums is hard to do, I can only hope this well be a helpful guide to your next attempt to start another flame war.

Seven said:
I'm going to... run... now. *runs*

*draws seven running...*

Sunshine

Wanderer
Well if all the points made are infact true...well I guess I know why so many been giving me a hard time lately....

good side is....if they are worried with me they are leaving someone else alone

bzk90

Lord
Peoharen said:
5) Become friends with DontDropTheSOAD, or Phantom.
Flame war by association, baby!
[flame]
Die in a fire, with the exception of SOAD, those 11 people are a great asset to the community
[/flame]
1/2 joke and 1/2 serious
[note]
I don't really know SOAD that well so he was excluded from my statement.
[/note]

TMSTKSBK

Lord
I seriously considered breaking all of those rules just for the sake of breaking them...

You forgot necroing something really old...