RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interesting thought, but is it possible?

Kiwi

Knight
Interesting thought, but is it possible?

Would it be possible to have a shard span over multiple servers, like OSI's server lines and all that? I don't know much about the .NET stuff :(

Just curious

Symbol

Wanderer
uox3evilded is working on that .. its possible.. id like to see runuo (i bet they already got it) to have this :)

R

Rainman

If you think about it guys osi's software is extremely old. 5-6 years old to date. They use a HUGE amount of soloris machines for each shard (like 7-8), and each shard can only support 2-5k people.

If you were around when OSI allowed housing in trammel, you would remember that each shard being logged in with max of 5k people COULD NOT HANDLE IT.

Technology is advanced, and I am willing to bet that an extremely solid\well built server made today could handle almost double, or tripple what OSI can handle, and only on one machine. (As long as the machine can handle it).

The feature of server farming and multiple servers isn't really needed.

K

Krazy_zack

a shard span over multiple servers

I think that this would be an excellent option but not for the normal reasons. Think of this:

Two friends both have different shards on their machines. Say one is a pvp/pk shard and the other is a "RP" shard. They share map/verdata/multi files and zips so bothe of the shards are very similar.

Now what they want to do is have multiple "words" for the same playerbase wher the players can move their characters from one "world" to another without loosing anything simply by stepping through a "gate" of some kind.

A few of the admins I know and I had kicked around this idea a little while ago and thought it was a cool concept.