RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iris2 Release

SiENcE

Sorceror
Iris2 Release

After 6 Month of development, the new Iris Team released "Iris2".

Everything is coded from the scratch!
Featuring a new 3D-Engine with Shader support: Ogre3D 1.4. "Iris2" supports Linux and WindowsXP (OSX in future). We use FMod as Music Engine and Lua for scripting. The whole Gamelogic is scripted in Lua for easy modifications from Shard-Development-Teams. "Iris2" also includes a 2D-Renderer and you can switch inGame from 3D to 2D and vice versa.

Trailer
You can download the Trailer (codec: XViD) here:
http://www.iris2.de/releases/iris2_trailer.avi

On YouTube:
YouTube - Iris2 - Ultima Online - 3D-Client

Iris2 - 3D/2D-Client for UO-Freeshards
Windows :
http://www.iris2.de/releases/Iris2_Setup.exe

please install also :
Our Updater-Tool also need VS8 redistributional package:
Download details: Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)

Linux :
for Linux you must checkout the sources from SVN and build it.
Revision 1001: /branches/stable_release

Please send Bugs to our Bugtracker:
New Ticket - Iris - Trac

Homepage:
Main Page - Iris

There you can find Todo-List, Roadmap, Screenshots and much more Infos.

b.regards

Iris Team

RadstaR

Sorceror
Nice, but client is not playable (bugs, wrong graphics, animations, ....). Official screens looks nice, but reality is other side :(
For example (from revision 1003, default settings):

Joeku

Lord
You must realize that they are writing this from SCRATCH - it's a work in development.

Good job Sience, I've been keeping track of you guys' progress and I have to say that I'm very impressed :) Keep up the good work, let me know if I can help!

Mideon

Page
I thought IRIS was dead....and to see this...brings tears to my eyes. It's a long way from done clearly...but all I can say is wow...this thing looks REALLY cool! Keep up the good work.

SiENcE

Sorceror
@RadstaR: Please First check out our Website or read some Infos about it!

What you call wrong GFX, I call Fallback Billboards! You can look into the Data\config.lua.dist to enable/disable thoose Billboards. We have already made oder 5000 3D-Models. I think that is very much ;) compared to commercial 3D Games. UO has over 9000 different Art-Tiles. But we don't have any artist in our Team. If you want to help...come on and show us what you are able to do. We need skilled people.

What you call Bugs, I call some minor problems ;). Most parts are implemented to be playable. Thoose Bugs we can easily manage. You only have to send your stacktrace.log to our bugtracker. We don't had time to check all shards and all Emulators to work with Iris2. Now it is the community, that should help us to get a better Client than OSI.
We are only 4 People, who developed "Iris2" since 6 Month in our freetime.

The 2D-Renderer is from VaranDar (who developed Palanthir or Mulpatcher) and is a closed Source Plugin to show that Iris2 is able to work with different Renderers.

Also Iris2 looks best, if a Freeshard eleminates wrong buildings from OSI. If you go around, you see many wrong Items looking at the Z-Value. This Shard should also make 3D-Models for all Custom Art-GFX he uses. We don't have capacity to produce soo much 3D-GFX. Thats why we implemented Billboards, to show that there is unmanaged/or custom Art used (i think thats a feature not a bug ;).

I think Iris2 is a chance to get rid of OSI/EA/Original Client. Also when I look at UO:KR and RunUO-Team isn't supporting this. If the whole Community Helps to enhance Iris2, we get a chance to be independet from Commercial.

SiENcE

Sorceror
I have no Vista, but check if it runs under Vista :).

Of couse we will fix any Problems regarding Vista, if there are any Problem. Please visit our Forum for further question. I'm not ofter here and other Iris2 users may not visit the RunUO forum.

SiENcE;673859 said:
I have no Vista, but check if it runs under Vista :).

Of couse we will fix any Problems regarding Vista, if there are any Problem. Please visit our Forum for further question. I'm not ofter here and other Iris2 users may not visit the RunUO forum.

Okie doke, I'll submit any bugs I encounted on my laptop to ya guys.

RadstaR

Sorceror
Sorry i don't think it's all wrong. You have my respect, but at this moment Iris is not usable for playing. I have like 2D, i have like Palanthir (i think palantir is second best client after PlayUO) and i wish one well ;)
My only one big desire is full compatible 2D client with OSI client and 3D is that bonus for me :)

SiENcE

Sorceror
If you focus the 2D-Renderer of Iris2, then you are right. But it's only a bonus for Iris2. It's added as plugin, to show, how easily you can modifiy Iris2 and maybe add a UO:KR Renderer later.
I don't know when the 2D Renderer is playable. Varan joined our Team, if i remember correct, 3 month before release. I think its good to give Iris2 users the possibility to switch the Renderer inGame. When I'm talking of Iris2 I always mean 3D.
The main focus of Iris2 is and will be 3D.

Kenny164

Sorceror
I like the look of this, nice to see people have picked up on Iris again.

I would love to help with the development, I've no experiance on Lua though, is it any good?

Vhaldir

Sorceror
I've finally picked up Iris2.. and now I'm getting back into modeling :p

IMO, it's got a lot of potential.. but there's still much to be done.
I'm looking forward to future releases/patches.

Great job guys!

SiENcE

Sorceror
new Iris2 stable (v2365) released

We released a new Iris2 stable (v2365) Download here .

What is new:
-Weaponskills are now usable
-Desktop save (icons, gumps positions)
-new Caelum Skysystem added with Day/Night Cycle, Sun, Moon Phase and Clouds (activation in config.lua)
-Lights for Lampposts, Candles aso.
-dynamic Shadows, depending on the Sun position
-new GUI-System is working (take-amount-dialog and lots more...)
-Moongate particle-effects
-corpses now visible
-Chat TAB-pane
-UOAM.net - Home of UO Auto-Map UOAM] maps supported
(visible in compass; put maps into ''data\uoam\''; enter '/mark NAME' to store current position)
-full mobile names overhead
-new Models, improved walkcode, lots of more options in config.lua.dist ...

I hope thats enought right now. currently we are working on something to smash UO:KR.

Greets^Grüße
SiENcE

b0b01

Sorceror
Hey man,

I really think you guys are doing a good job. I mean building a 3d game environment is not something everyone does.

However if you want players to use it you will need to improve a few things, first thing is the install, you want to make it a plug and play thing. I just downloaded it, than i find out i have to edit some file to select my uo map, can't you fetch that from my registry or something? Second i can't get it to work anyway it always tells me no models found.

Second you guys got no branding, you just have a development website. You want to have a website just for players, they download your client, install and play and report any bugs and most importantly you need to show off the abilities of the client: screens movies etc. They don't want to have to scroll through all the development stuff (which i personally enjoy a lot).

Last i don't know if this is still true, since i can't get my copy to work. It used to be a very laggy client unless that is fixed, it won't be attractive to the large group of player.

Good luck and keep up the work!

SiENcE

Sorceror
Hey,

thanx.

However if you want players to use it you will need to improve a few things, first thing is the install, you want to make it a plug and play thing. I just downloaded it, than i find out i have to edit some file to select my uo map, can't you fetch that from my registry or something? Second i can't get it to work anyway it always tells me no models found.

The installation Guide says: Ultima Online 3D Game Client. UO:ML or later. You need the 3D Character Model Files and only the UO:3D Client has this files in your UO\Models directory.

InstallationManual - Iris

FAQ - Iris

We should add this to the message. Also a link where to download.

Second you guys got no branding, you just have a development website.

You are right. But we dont have the time to create a good looking Player only Site. Maybe someone wants to help us!?

Last i don't know if this is still true, since i can't get my copy to work. It used to be a very laggy client unless that is fixed, it won't be attractive to the large group of player.
You have to own a good 3d card. 6600gt + ... nvidia preferred.

If you use Windows, always select direct3d. Also try to use the graphic profiles you can setup all things in the config file called data\config.lua (just loo into config.lua.dist for options).

Always consult our forum and faq. Most questions are answerd already.

thx and b.regards
SiENcE

HellRazor

Knight
Congrats on another great release. Its great to see Iris going strong!

SiENcE;772695 said:
The installation Guide says: Ultima Online 3D Game Client. UO:ML or later. You need the 3D Character Model Files and only the UO:3D Client has this files in your UO\Models directory.

I think this is going to be a real concern for Iris in the future. With OSI no longer distributing the 3D client, reliance on that client is eventually going to become a bigger and bigger problem down the road. Hopefully the team is exploring some options to break away from the UO 3D client.

In the meantime, maybe you can allow Iris to install in a "2d only" mode that doesn't require the 3D files? That would at least let people who don't have the 3D client use Iris' 2D interface?