Islands of Tathku - What I have done so far!

Discussion in 'Custom Maps' started by yugitashi, Jul 4, 2013.

1. yugitashi

yugitashi Sorceror

So I've been working on this map for what must have been several years now. Reason why its been taking so long is mainly due to taking long breaks now and as embarrassing as it seems I'm basically winging the whole thing. In other words I haven't thoroughly planned out every single area and it because I'm still learning the ropes on things such as altitudes and actually trying to better my skill at creating buildings. I wanted to show all I have done so far and I'm welcome to any sort of criticisms so I can make this map more presentable than it already is.

Now as for the map its a replacement for Malas so it isn't as large as say the maps of Trammel and Felucca. I've been wanting to create my own shard for a while now and I'm doing everything I can to make it stand out and provide a unique experience full of lore and plenty of areas to explore, not to mention a ton of custom contents though sadly no custom artwork. I'm want to base the server using AOS rules while implementing certain things like mobiles and items from various time periods. Anyway here are some photos showing off what areas will be present in the final version. I still have a ton of work on my plate and I don't expect to get finished with this map anytime soon so there is no point in rushing the project.

[​IMG]
    Islands of Tathku Antlion Dunes by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Islands of Tathku Elven Fortress by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Islands of Tathku Snow Plains by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Islands of Tathku Star Lake by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Islands of Tathku Full Map by zigholtul88, on Flickr

A full view of the entire map and yes those are islands of a chicken and a llama. As you can see I have a lot of work that needs to be done. I figured I go ahead and share what I've been working on and hopefully by the time I'm finished the map will look much better.

2. _Epila_

_Epila_ Sorceror

Hahah llama and chicken island
    Great work, the detail level is awesome!
    Thanks for sharing with the community!

Sareus and yugitashi like this.
  3. yugitashi

yugitashi Sorceror

Thank you for the complement mate. My skill in making kickass buildings with UO Architect is kinda rusty (though I was never near the complexity of some of the great contributors here), however I'm getting better at basically playing deity when it comes to altering terrain and such. Its takes a long time, especially when you're doing it just off of memory but the hours of work really pay off in the end. Right now I'm working on the largest snow island, trying to give it the same detail you'd find in the Lost Lands with the crazy altitude. When I created the map using Punts Map Generator I started off with no trees or land details (with the exception of water edges) generated so everything is personally hand made. Yes its tedious and at times I want to tear my hair out due to the immense work load but it will be worth it in the end. I gotta remember that doing something like this is going to take a very long time.

Talshani and m309 like this.
  4. milva

milva Sorceror

Very nice excellent work!! :)

5. Silver1995

Silver1995 Sorceror

This is amazing New map always bring new features,Keep up the good work

6. yugitashi

yugitashi Sorceror

[​IMG]
    Islands of Tathku Full Map Update 2 by zigholtul881, on Flickr

I know its been a long time but I decided to post an update on the map progress. As you can tell it isn't much and I've been feeling rather unmotivated for a good while now. Basically I almost finished up the giant desert area and I add some dungeons. Yeah progress has been really slow and I apologize if this update seems rather minor. I never realized how difficult it was to work on a custom map.

maybeshewill and Sareus like this.
  7. Sareus

Sareus Sorceror

please keep updating I like this one of the better more detailed maps ive seen.

8. Valorian

Valorian Traveler

Hey yugitashi, which program do you use to translate the map?

This is pretty cool, I am looking forward to a finished version :)

9. yugitashi

yugitashi Sorceror

Well I ended up relying on two programs. One is Punt Map Generator 2 which creates a ms paint file that basically allows you to draw out what you want. After that I run through the program again, this time turning that file into 3 separate mul files that can be utilized. Now I have a useable map but it still feels a bit flat and some of the tiles look broken, that's when World Maker Dekaru's Edition 1.1 comes into play. From there I'm able to add in new tiles that could not be generated with the last program and I'm able to edit terrain to give the landscape a more three dimensional feel. It is a very tedious process which explains why I have to take breaks in between and probably the reason why I may never get this map finished, because I'm just that lazy. It doesn't help matters that I'm trying to go out of my way to give my server a distinct feel and given how I've been working on all of this for the past 5 years now I have to wonder why I haven't just given up by now. Maybe if I stopped worrying about making it so that every single monster had their own customized loot so that it would actually be worth hunting them down I might actually get something done.

Dian likes this.
  10. yugitashi

yugitashi Sorceror

Hello again. I'm sorry if I haven't been very active on here. I've been on and off when it comes to working on the map. Most of the time I'm not even working on it, instead I've been doing a whole lot of scripting. So here's what I have finished so far. I know it isn't that much of an update but I've been lacking motivation for a very long time and heck I'm not sure if I'll ever come close to finishing the entire map.

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Brigand Camp by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Elmhaven by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Glimmerwood by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Guardians Horizon by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Hammerhill by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Hammerhill Sewers by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Lizard Caverns by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Ophidian Palace by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Pyramid of Chaos by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Pyramid of Chaos Entrance by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Snow Maze by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Snow Plains by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Islands of Tathku Map Update 3 by zigholtul88, on Flickr

#10 yugitashi, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  11. Enroq

Enroq Sorceror

Hahaha, dead they said. I love you. If you ever need a home, hit me up. We've assembled the code team. Builders are always adored.

12. Doctor Mephisto

Two thumbs up.

Dian likes this.
  13. yugitashi

yugitashi Sorceror

Okay, so a little bit of a small update.

I haven't exactly been doing much work on the map other than refining some locations and adding in one dungeon that's probably the largest I've ever created in comparison to others. If anything most of the work I've been doing (while not writing a fantasy novel on the side) has involved a ton of scripting and basically making my server feel akin to an Elder Scrolls game in terms of random junk lying, decent number of custom made quests (16 short ones so far), locked treasure chests that are actually worth plundering, random locked doors that guard certain locations and items, making certain monsters have a resistance to different weapon types, vendor inventory varying based on town (and giving them dialogue boxes, though simple), skill trainers being extremely hard to come by, and other things I honestly can't remember off the top of my mind.

14. yugitashi

yugitashi Sorceror

Wow this site is still going and guess what, so am I.

May not seem like much since the last update. At least not until you check out the desert island because that sucker is a lot different than before.

[​IMG]Almhara Map (4-7-2017) by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Stone Burrow Mines by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Shatterglass Caverns Boss Arena by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Elmhaven Mineshaft by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Dragons Den by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Azurite Caverns by zigholtul88, on Flickr

[​IMG]Underwater Cave Entrance by zigholtul88, on Flickr

#14 yugitashi, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    m309 likes this.
  15. Owen Bruce

Owen Bruce Sorceror

Looks great! Keep up the good work!
    The map community on ServUO is a bit more active, btw. :)

16. Enroq

Enroq Sorceror

17. BigRich

BigRich Wanderer

SWEET! its too bad i have a fairly decent malas map i need to add to and have a custom fel and tram both which needs added to. i really need a good ilsh and tok static map though. im not for sure the default map sizes to know if this could be used in place of one of those? or if anyone has a link to a good set of statics for those 2 maps? also what are you using to build at multi altitudes like that and does it create buggy spots in the map like that? also wondering if you ever finished your map or not? :) it has been some time and wondering if youd share a current link to it :) congrats on your input to the community even if it is for graphic art :) cool looking client you got there also. havent seen one look that nice myself. is it based on open src and can be given away by a custom shard? sorry to ask so many questions and once again thanks :)