RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large servers getting "Out of Memory Exception"

HellRazor

Knight
I see what you mean.

I agree totally that the hardware is vital. A lot of people think it's all about the connection...the connection is just one side of the coin, having a thousand online players is no good if you have a crappy server that can't handle the load.

My only point is, the connection is important too. Ideally you have both the bandwidth and the hardware, as either one of them can be limiting.

reggiewjr1

Wanderer
reggiewjr1 said:
I found that minimizing and then maximizing the console window "un-sticks" it and then everyone in one fell swoop loses conn. then they all start coming back in, but no restart needed...

Before i figured that out it was needing a shutdown.

and I've also seen it just freeze for awhile then restart itself when it unsticks...

running on 1gb atm, 656k items, using bout 475mb RAM

Upgrade soon :)

UPDATE:

Well we upgraded servers several months ago, and we're starting to max out our current situation again....

running Dual Opteron 242's, 4gb PC2700 RAM, 1.2mil objects, 38k mobiles ~2gb RAM being used on a 10mbps line.

With 350+ players online if we run an event with 50+ in attendance we get some lag...upgrading to 100mbps line this week to resolve this.

on our old cable line (1.6ghz, 1gb RAM) we'd max at 35 players and severe lag, they are good for starting out(the cable conn i mean) and making sure you have what people are looking for in a shard...but its just a starting point...

Murzin

Knight
1 gig of ram, windows xp, 3 ghz cpu, running on 512/8 mbps cable with even 2-3 users, 300 megs used pre-runuo, jumping up to 340 megs after runuo, and it pages about another 120 megs of runuo. this is very bad as it causes 2-3 steps, lag, 2-3 steps, lag...

how do you get windows XP to stop paging the runuo proccess? we tried lowering the virtual to 128, but XP just takes it up to 470 and continues to page runuo. and so we sit here with over 650 megs of ram free with windows XP paging 2/3 of runuo memory and 0-2% cpu usage.

any solutions out there?

Nochte

Wanderer
murzin--are you playing from the host machine? or are you connecting from a local network, and other people connecting from outside your network?

Kwwres10

Wanderer
bean56 said:
No thx. I don't like that second word. Spawn of Satan!

:eek:

YOUR A MAC HATER TOO!? Yay! You need to join AMK. [Anti-Macintosh-Klan]

Macintosh sucks the hair off a blind man's back. :(

-NoX

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Dra`go said:
I would very much like to hear the answer to Murzin's question.

Sounds to me, the reason Windows XP would be paging the memory is that, there is no free memory to be used.

Remember Windows XP cannot use the entire 1 gig for RunUO, it has to save a good part for itself and other processes will use some too.

I would say add more memory, because 1 gig is not enough, for a shard that size.

Why are we using a thread, that has no longer even valid for these types of questions?

Ravatar

Knight
You can select the "No Paging File" button in the Virtual Memory settings, but beware, there ARE unintended consequences to doing this.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Ravatar said:
You can select the "No Paging File" button in the Virtual Memory settings, but beware, there ARE unintended consequences to doing this.

I really don't suggest you do this, it would really really not be a good idea.

You really don't want to be running on 100% memory, you don't have enough, thats why there is a paging file....

Ravatar

Knight
Seanchen.net said:
You really don't want to be running on 100% memory, you don't have enough, thats why there is a paging file....

It's not so much a matter of "not enough memory", as a matter of old programs that store memory by location and require that the addresses is references are always available to the program.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Ravatar said:
It's not so much a matter of "not enough memory", as a matter of old programs that store memory by location and require that the addresses is references are always available to the program.

I thought the paging file, was basicly a location for data to go, before it went into memory. Since the amount of data most likely is more then the amount of memory you have.

I know thats why we have memory, because there is not enough "memory" within the cpu itself, so stuff is stored in memory then moved into the cpu then result is sent.

Of course this design is "old school" when stuff was alot smaller. If I am right, I am not really sure, I dropped out before I got to that material in my Computer Org class.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Xare-UO said:
I was wondering if DFI is hiring Seers or GMs at the moment. I have experience with Pandora's Box. I was thinking about creating my own server but would like to be a part of what is going on with DFI as it gets larger and larger. I am self-employed so I am willing to GM about 5-8 hours a day. Please post reply.

Thanks,

Why are you posting on this webpage and not their website? You might get a response if you post on their website, the administration of Defiance are not active members of this community.

Seanchen.net

Wanderer
Xare-UO said:
Im new to this forum and I apologize. Would you to speak about it on another forum with me? -Xare-

I don't wish to speak to you about it, in another forum, because I don't enjoy talking to people who break the rules. Plus the fact you have already asked me in private for a job, and I gave you similar response.

frank

Wanderer
help

is there a way of doing this with framework 2.0? i cant get visual 2003 to install says i have an updated version and only thing i have is framework 2.0

Bob_the_pimp

Wanderer
is there anyway to get runuo to use more then 2.4gibs, say if i had a 7gib ram and 3800GB harddrive computer and i wanted to use at least 4gib for runuo server?

WeEzL

Wanderer
Bob_the_pimp;632926 said:
is there anyway to get runuo to use more then 2.4gibs, say if i had a 7gib ram and 3800GB harddrive computer and i wanted to use at least 4gib for runuo server?

Ya, run 64-bit RunUO on a 64-bit OS.

Unicorn1259

Wanderer
windows vista

How would I add the /3GB to vistas bcd file, since they do not have boot.ini. I have not found a way to edit the bcd in vista. I am thinking of switching to xp pro because of this :(

WeEzL

Wanderer
Again, might I point out that while this might be useful to allow the OS to address more than 3GB of memory, 32-bit Windows OSes are still limited to 2GB per process. This means that even with 4GB of memory, RunUO can only address 2GB of that. The way past this is to use a 64-bit Windows OS.