RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Large servers getting "Out of Memory Exception"

Gustavo

Wanderer
Question for Ryan or Krrios:

Does it matter if we used VS.NET 6.0 instead of 2003 to do the thing with the linker?

thanks,
Gustavo

Gremio

Sorceror
Ryan, does this effect servers with less than 2 gigs of memory? I.e. will .NET on a server with 1 gig of memory only be able to utilize 600 megs? I ask, because the shard I play on is having the issue where it freezes but it gets no errors, memory exceptions, or anything. And I would bet it has enough items. It freezes randomly. We reboot daily. Some days it happens 8 hours before the restart, and some days it never happens. The admin says the shard uses 450 megs at peak (that he's seen). Which to me, puts him right in the area for it to freeze the way it does, when it does. The problem began around January. No hardware or software changes were made when the problem started, other than maybe the version of of RunUO (we are currently on the newest 1.0).

Any comments or suggestions you have would be very much appreciated.

--Gremio

This could be bad RAM as well. See if he'll copy a large file, or set of files across the network (500 MB or more). If it locks up during the file transfer, there's a good possibility it's bad RAM.

Ghosthunter

Gremio

Sorceror
Yeah...I thought of bad RAM too. I asked him to use memtest86 to test the memory a while ago. But performing logical operations in order to pin-point a problem is unfortunately beyond our admin :/... Yeah. I was just hoping someone could tell me whether .NET didn't use the full memory available under 2 gigs as well.

I much appreciate your response though, keep em' coming. Lots of servers actually have this issue, where no error is given of any kind.

--Gremio

Well, if he won't do any troubleshooting, it's going to be really hard to fix the problem. I would think that if he has enough time invested in the server to get it up and running, he would at least take the time to follow a few simple steps to figure out the solution to an ongoing problem. I'm not sure how full that server is, but I know it took me the better part of a year to get mine to where I was happy with it. If I found a problem like that, I would seriously take a look at what was going on. Heck, he might even learn something along the way.

Ghosthunter

infra001

Wanderer
When it locks up / freezes what is happing on the console ?
Does it shut down, have a error or just display normal like everything is fine.. ?

Also is it a complete lock up, or just really bad lag.. ?

Gremio

Sorceror
To my understanding the console displays normal like everything is fine.

Completely locks up. Get stuck at verifying. Then for a while players get the server can't be contacted. Then after a while, we get stuck at verifying again. It goes back and forth like this until the comp finally automaticly restarts at 2 am in the morning :/. But at no point can anyone log in once this has happened.

Ravatar

Knight
Nah it does a popup explaining the process has failed at "address here". Therefore halting the "auto restart" feature of RunUO.

Gremio

Sorceror
Ravatar said:
Nah it does a popup explaining the process has failed at "address here". Therefore halting the "auto restart" feature of RunUO.

No Ravatar, the shard restarts just fine...

reggiewjr1

Wanderer
I found that minimizing and then maximizing the console window "un-sticks" it and then everyone in one fell swoop loses conn. then they all start coming back in, but no restart needed...

Before i figured that out it was needing a shutdown.

and I've also seen it just freeze for awhile then restart itself when it unsticks...

running on 1gb atm, 656k items, using bout 475mb RAM

Upgrade soon :)

VxD.32

Wanderer
Thanks Ryan, My server is a Dual Xeon and Im upgrading to 4gigs DDR400 ECC verry soon :), this will save much head achs in the system upgrade : ).

Is there any known issues with the Adeptec 2100-S with 32 - 128megs ECC ? as I use that card with a RAID 5 array

Phantom

Knight
FoCkEr[PvPTime] said:
how many players roughly a comcast cabel modem support?

Depends on your plan

Your connection has a very small factor in the number of players you can support.

The main factor is the hardware itself.

TMSTKSBK

Lord
You sure Phantom...? It would appear to me that hosting a server on dialup would be a lot more laggy than hosting on...say T1-T3...

Surely there's *some* difference there...

(this is a question, not an accusation...)

Phantom

Knight
TMSTKSBK said:
You sure Phantom...? It would appear to me that hosting a server on dialup would be a lot more laggy than hosting on...say T1-T3...

Surely there's *some* difference there...

(this is a question, not an accusation...)

Please don't be a smartass.

I said it was a small factor, the hardware itself is the biggest factor.

Common sense says a dialup connection can only handle a few players. Cable/DSL can hold more then dialup but less then a more expensive connection.

The exact numbers depend on alot of things, lets face it we can't tell you exactly every connection and its provider is different.

I can tell you based on your hardware how many people it can support.

But in my eyes, building a shard based on a number is just dumb.

HellRazor

Knight
You need both the hardware and the bandwidth to support a significant number of players, they are equally important and both necessary. The best supercomputer in the world is useless if you are throttled by your connection.

Phantom

Knight
HellRazor said:
You need both the hardware and the bandwidth to support a significant number of players, they are equally important and both necessary. The best supercomputer in the world is useless if you are throttled by your connection.

But then if you have a Cable

But have a server with 256 MB and 1000Mhz your not going to be able to support more then 10 people before you ran out of memory.

On the other hand how I see it.

If you have a good server and a cable connection you can hadle as many players as you can till people start to lag.

I still think the super plays a bigger role. Look at the larger shards, with huge connections, but slow computers.

In the case of UO Gamers months back, they had to clear the memory every 30 minutes. They were limited by the server itself.

Then when they got their super machine, they were limited by other factors ( besides the point ).

Thats the best example I can give. Then again the original server was never ( bad ) it had a good deal of memory.