RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Message of the Day (MOTD)

Crystal Dove

Wanderer
I love it when things r explained in detail..and u guys r soo very helpful. thank you! i was wanting that message system as well.. and had no problem.. thanks to the experts! oh and I love it how i went and checked the folder and saw the motd file dissapear.. i get it now! duh! no seriously thanx!

Chandral

Wanderer
I have changed my creation file and all, but players are not getting the MOTD to show when they first log on. I tried to create a new char on my player account to verify it and sure enough no message was there. Any ideas>

kan3

Sorceror
its not working for me either

steps I took:

1.) placed motd.cs into scripts/custom folder
2.) placed a motd.txt and news.txt into the runo/data folder
3.) logged in as admin and did a ADD and UPDATE

it still brings up the default "there is no current news"

thanks

kan3

Sorceror
found the problem

logged into the server under a different account when I was editing it and -hide extensions for know file types- was on

:rolleyes:

thanks

Trilia

Sorceror
Got it working, but how can I make it so once the user reads it and closes the gump, it doesn't come back up until there is another news update - but will allow them to view the current news again by saying motd? I just want it to pop up upon login once per update, and whenever they want to view it again.

Trilia

Sorceror
It isn't working for me. Every third login, it comes back up again even though there was nothing new added :/

Astro_Demon

Wanderer
Questions

i got the MOTD script, and added a news.txt to the data folder, but im curious to know if the news.txt is supposed to cotain what you want the MOTD to say, and what is the motd.txt for exactly? :confused:

bazspeed

Sorceror
Could someone please explain precisely how to add news.

if you type [motd you get the option to select Add MOTD, or Update News.

If you click on Add MOTD nothing happens. How do you add a new message?

I can see that once you click on Update NEWS the motd.txt disappears and the new message is visable next time you log in

But how do actually add the motd????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

NoIdeaNoClue

Wanderer
bazspeed said:
Could someone please explain precisely how to add news.

if you type [motd you get the option to select Add MOTD, or Update News.

If you click on Add MOTD nothing happens. How do you add a new message?

I can see that once you click on Update NEWS the motd.txt disappears and the new message is visable next time you log in

But how do actually add the motd????

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
If I'm not mistaking, the motd automatically shows to a character when they log in (unless, of course, they checked it not show but then if you click update news, they will see it anyway). If you want to see it without the admin gump, just say motd not [motd.

To add news just put what you want it to say in the news.txt and then hit update on the admin gump.
:)

Halciet

Sorceror
Create a news.txt file in your Data directory. The first line you enter will be set as the MotD title, and then anything after you drop down a couple of lines will be listed in the text field.

Using "Update" from the MotD gump forces all players to get the new message on their next login.

-Hal

Talrol

Wanderer
I have a completely modified version of this script but it is still under some minor construction. The news.txt file may be modified in game and when it is a shard message is sent to inform all online that it has been updated.

The colors of the gump and the text may all be modified within the script itself if you don't like the colors that are currently being used. I have had to temporarily discontinue working on this script for now as other more important projects are on my desk, however I do intend to add many more features in the near future:

Features to include will be: The ability to delete old news items or clear the news completely, and the ability to use paragraph seperations when you enter news into the motd admin gump.

I hope you like the modifications that I've currently made, and as I said I will be modifying this more later when time permits. Just copy this into your custom scripts folder, and create a blank news.txt file in your data file (this will be fixed in a later release as well.)

Current access level to update news is set to Seer, but you may set it to what ever your shard needs.

Attachments

• motd.cs
    9.6 KB · Views: 106
You just misunderstand what has been said is all it does not belong in "data script" open your runuo installation folder it should be called runuo RC0 1.0 inside that you will see a folder called data just place those 2 files in that folder and you should be set. If you have problems after that just read through this thread as it has been covered several times. hope this helps you out some :)

No-one

Wanderer
i think u have to make them... ok i just tryed it and got it u hae to make the text document and write what u want in there and put it in to the folders that they have said above same thing with the motd .tex .. u can go to file and ne then go to the text doc and rename it and add what u want to show up and restart the server and there ya go .... took me a copple of tryes and read the post 2 time also but i got it :D