RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MS VS 2010 and Net 4.0

Sythen

Sorceror
I Have A Cool Idea For You...

Why don't you check it out first... since its a pre-release let us know how it goes. If it doesn't kill your computer maybe I'll try it. ROFL. If it does mess with your computer... well you've learned your lesson about downloading microsoft's pre-releases. :p

Jeff

Lord
Sythen;784970 said:
Why don't you check it out first... since its a pre-release let us know how it goes. If it doesn't kill your computer maybe I'll try it. ROFL. If it does mess with your computer... well you've learned your lesson about downloading microsoft's pre-releases. :p

Funny because their CTP's are generally really good, I used VS2K5 and 2K8 during CTP, Beta and RC builds without major issue...

Sythen

Sorceror
LOL... And To Each His/Her Own

I can only say, good luck with it. (IMHO - lol) Everything microsoft releases is a big system or program crash waiting to happen, but like I said its my opinion.

:p

By the way Jeff, Eclipse Open Source develops better professional development environments :) ...but its all a matter of preference really.

Jeff

Lord
Sythen;784990 said:
I can only say, good luck with it. (IMHO - lol) Everything microsoft releases is a big system or program crash waiting to happen, but like I said its my opinion.

:p

By the way Jeff, Eclipse Open Source develops better professional development environments :) ...but its all a matter of preference really.

I've used it, and i'm not impressed. Nothing out there rivals all the things I use in VS, nothing. Then again, i do this professionally so i use more of VS then most hobbiests.

HellRazor

Knight
Jumping on the "Let's Bash Microsoft" bandwagon isn't really hip any more. Actually it mostly just makes one a follower.

They grew into a multi-billion dollar company in the course of about 10 years, totally dominated the O/S market, have the world's leading office productivity software, and probably the leading programming package as well. So offhand I say they must be doing something right.

Sythen

Sorceror
Ummm Okay... lol

Jumping on the "Let's Bash Microsoft" bandwagon isn't really hip any more. Actually it mostly just makes one a follower.

Hellrazor, if its not hip to bash Microsoft anymore then I guess I'm not a follower :p
FYI: using the word 'hip' is not 'hip' anymore... sign of the times my man. ;)
Seriously though, I've had nothing but bad experiences with Microsoft products and quite honestly
you two are the only people I've ever corresponded with that seem to side with Microsoft.

I've used it, and i'm not impressed. Nothing out there rivals all the things I use in VS, nothing. Then again, i do this professionally so i use more of VS then most hobbiests.

Jeff, kudos for you man. You're a dude who likes to have the last word - too many of those on this forum, myself included :p So I raise my hands and agree to disagree since we will probably never see eye to eye on this issue. :eek:

Words your parents should have raise you by: life is way too short to get that defensive! :p -especially about an statement which wasn't even directed towards you. LOL

Jeff

Lord
Sythen;785001 said:
Hellrazor, if its not hip to bash Microsoft anymore then I guess I'm not a follower :p
FYI: using the word 'hip' is not 'hip' anymore... sign of the times my man. ;)
Seriously though, I've had nothing but bad experiences with Microsoft products and quite honestly
you two are the only people I've ever corresponded with that seem to side with Microsoft.

Jeff, kudos for you man. You're a dude who likes to have the last word - too many of those on this forum, myself included :p So I raise my hands and agree to disagree since we will probably never see eye to eye on this issue. :eek:

Words your parents should have raise you by: life is way too short to get that defensive! :p -especially about an statement which wasn't even directed towards you. LOL

I'm not getting defensive at all, in fact i thought this discussion was simple, nice and to the point. I simply stated that the development tool you had mention paled in comparison to VS with the way I used the software, what is so defensive about that? I do find it funny that you bash Microsoft, but use it... ironic...

Sythen

Sorceror
My Text Perception Sucks

Okay fair enough. I tend to read into text a lot :p

Irony as it may be, I'm a slave to Microsofts evil empire... Guilty as charged. Its hard to avoid Windows when you can't figure out linux :(

MarciXs

Sorceror
Sythen;784970 said:

Right, 1) This CTP release is available in English only as a Virtual PC image
So there is no way you can kill your computer.
2) About your comments about Microsoft. How can you be so naive and think that it is MS fault.. I mean come on! Didn't you knew that they come up with an idea (which usually is great) but they are not produced well because of their employees. So you want to blame somebody for bad software there you go blame them... Surely you would say that they have to supervise them but come on man.. Do you work yourself? Can you honestly say you are doing your job 100% accurately. I bet you don't.
So when Microsoft will understand that they need to spend more and get better employees(programmers) you will get better products.

Im not really big fan of MS myself , doesn't mean I am blaming MS for every software which doesn't work properly...

David

Moderate
I like Microsoft... as an MCSE I have made a lot of money riding their shirt-tails over the years. Overall they have good products with tight integration.

Jeff

Lord
David;793210 said:
I like Microsoft... as an MCSE I have made a lot of money riding their shirt-tails over the years. Overall they have good products with tight integration.

Do you make alot of money reviving dead threads?

Sorry I couldn't resist ;)

David

Moderate
lol - no, I do that for free. It has been some of my best work though.

(However in my defense it was like the 4th thread on the page. It never occured to me to look at the date.)

hmm i think there is a beta out now was just doing some reading on the matter.. Looks interesting and i started .net after framework 3.5 so its my first "upgrade"

I find everyone who has computer issues liek to blame microsoft and talk about how good macs are!! well a bad workman always blames their tools... I dont think there is anything that comes close to VS and VS2k8 itself has come a massive way since the 1999 version of originally used for VB6 hehe.

*dont wanna offend anyone* but to quote myself "People who cant use computers liek to moan about Microsoft as it makes them feel like they know about computers"

No offence to anyone just iv had this argument at lots of lan partys before!!

just found this looks good! Looks like there is more LINQ to come!

.NET Framework 4

Microsoft announced the .NET Framework 4 on 29 September 2008. The Public Beta was released on 20 May 2009.[3] Some focuses of this release are:

* Parallel Extensions to improve support for parallel computing, which target multi-core or distributed systems.[29] To this end, they plan to include technologies like PLINQ (Parallel LINQ),[30] a parallel implementation of the LINQ engine, and Task Parallel Library, which exposes parallel constructs via method calls.[31]
* New Visual Basic and C# language features, such as statement lambdas, implicit line continuations, dynamic dispatch, named parameters, and optional parameters.
* Full support for IronPython, IronRuby, and F#.[32]
* Support for a subset of the .NET Framework and ASP.NET with the "Server Core" variant of Windows Server 2008 R2.[33]
* Support for Code Contracts.
* Inclusion of the Oslo modelling platform, along with the M programming language.[34]
* Inclusion of new types to work with arbitrary-precision arithmetic (System.Numerics.BigInteger) and complex numbers (System.Numerics.Complex).

On 28 July 2009, a second release of the .NET Framework 4 beta was made available with experimental software transactional memory support.[35] Whether this functionality will be available in the final version of the framework has not been confirmed.

On 19 October 2009, Microsoft released Beta 2 of the .NET Framework 4.[36] At the same time, Microsoft announced the expected launch date for .NET Framework 4 as the 22 March 2010.[36] This launch date has subsequently been delayed to April 12, 2010.[37]

On 10 February 2010 a release candidate was published: Version:RC

In conjunction with .NET Framework 4, Microsoft will offer a set of enhancements, codenamed Dublin, for Windows Server 2008 application server capabilities.[38][39] Dublin will extend IIS to be a "standard host" for applications that use either WCF or WF.[39]

Oh and OH MY GOD optiona paramaters!

Jeff

Lord
Hmm,

the parallel extensions are awesome, i've checked them out, and man, they are fun. Parallel.For!

statement lamda's have existed since 3.5 (i use them every day) here is a work example:

Code:
            info.LoginClick += (sender, e) =>
            {
                loginWindow.Close();
                loginWindow.IsEnabled = false;

info.BusyMessage = "Authenticating...";

AuthenticationContext.Load(
                     AuthenticationContext.LoginQuery(info.Username, info.Password, true, string.Empty),
                     (loadOperation) =>
                     {
                         info.BusyMessage = null;

if (loadOperation.HasError)
                         {
                             MessageBox.Show(loadOperation.Error.ToString());
                             loginWindow.IsEnabled = true;
                             return;
                         }

if (AuthenticationContext.Users.Count == 0)
                         {
                             info.ErrorMessage = "Invalid username and/or password";
                             loginWindow.IsEnabled = true;
                             return;
                         }

User = AuthenticationContext.Users.First();

if (MainMenuItems != null)
                         {
                             SelectedMainMenuItem = MainMenuItems.FirstOrDefault();

if (SelectedMainMenuItem != null && SelectedMainMenuItem.HasSubMenu)
                             {
                                 SelectedSubMenuItem = SelectedMainMenuItem.SubMenuItems.FirstOrDefault();
                             }
                         }

loginWindow.DialogResult = true;
                     },
                     null);
            };

implicit line continuations are for VB so i dont care

dynamic dispatching is dumb, unless you are using a dynamic language with C#,

named parameters are neat,

optional parameters already exist in C# but not as you are probably thinking, it is called overloading... an example

Code:
void DoSomething() { DoSomething(1); }
void DoSomething(int a) { DoSomething(a, 5); }
void DoSomething(int a, b) { ... }