RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#&%@ my computer plz?

#&%@ my computer plz?

Well... i censored it...

but anyway. My computer keeps freezing, and I was wondering if anyone has a program to check up hardware... I have a few ideas on what it may be, but I have failed to find the true answer tbh.

Anyway, my compy specs are:

Microsoft XP Home SP3
Asus A8R32-MVP Deluxe Mobo
AMD 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.0ghz CPU
XFX nVidia GeForce 7300GT video card
WD3200JB (IDE, 320gb, master primary, has my OS on it)
WD5000AAKS (SATA, 500gb, master, its my spair HDD)
BenQ DVD DW1620 DVD Burner
4x 1024mb RAM
DX-400 WPS Powersupply

thanks for any help in advance ^_^

Joeku

Lord
It's probably not hardware, otherwise you'd have more serious problems than just freezing occasionally...

Have you tried reformatting?

Joeku;761955 said:
It's probably not hardware, otherwise you'd have more serious problems than just freezing occasionally...

Have you tried reformatting?
I'm actually getting ready for that atm. Gotta do my works in safe mode though, but thats fine.

CEO;761957 said:
Grab the ultimate boot cd from Ultimate Boot CD - Overview, burn it and boot with it. It has alot of system system test. I'd start with memory first.
Have the CD, it's a great tool tbh. I've done a memory test. Nothing was wrong (which is good, i did buy cheap memory after all). I also did a CHKDSK on both of my hard drives (which took forever, sadly). Nothing was really found there either. I thought my CPU was overheating or something, so i checked to make sure it was on (put new cooling paste on while i was at it) and checked its temps... 40C idle is pretty fine I believe. It usually occurs when I'm doing multiple things at once, so...

I was mainly wondering if it was my power supply... 400W...

CEO

Sorceror
IHaveRegistered;761958 said:
I'm actually getting ready for that atm. Gotta do my works in safe mode though, but thats fine.

All the apps on that CD load with their own OS of various types. If you're able to run the stress test for a few hours without a problem, then yeah, I'd lean towards OS/registry issues. Try the CD first though before you go through the hassle of a reinstall/reformat! Good luck!

Edit: Unless you have some high end gfx card or a bunch of HDs and other internal stuff, 400w should be fine.

CEO;761962 said:
All the apps on that CD load with their own OS of various types. If you're able to run the stress test for a few hours without a problem, then yeah, I'd lean towards OS/registry issues. Try the CD first though before you go through the hassle of a reinstall/reformat! Good luck!

Edit: Unless you have some high end gfx card or a bunch of HDs and other internal stuff, 400w should be fine.
Ah no. Not very high end.

I forgot about doing a stress test, maybe I should try that quickly just to make sure its not some weird quirk in my hardware. Thanks for that one ^_^

Vorspire

Knight
Tell me if you have a process running called CIDAEMON.EXE - this is the HDD File Indexing Service and can sometimes stick at 50 to 90 % CPU usage, you must turn it off in My Computer/<Drive> -> Properties

Rosetta

Wanderer
greywolf79;761998 said:
Can you #&%@ a computer? (and if so, is it legal?)

GreyWolf.

I saw a toy come out a few years back... kind of scary...eeps.

Anyhow it plugged into a usb and someone else controlled it (turned it on or off and controlled specific movements) through the net. Something about enhancing the webcam experience. I don't think the idea took off since I haven't seen anything like it since.

Thank goodness.

shtoink

Sorceror
Do you see anything in event viewer that may hint at the cause? If not perhaps clear out all events and then check it after next lockup.

Def check memory with a bootdisk and mem test x86.

Might want to make sure no cards or mem sticks have come slightly unseated, or pwr supply isnt full of dust.

If your bios shows you the voltages and such for your machine are they staying steady or do they waver (very small changes normal, large changes = pw supply problem or failing mobo capacitors).

If you cant find any reason that could be causing this my next step (were it me) would be to remove everything from the machine except the cpu, one stick of ram and the vid card(prefer built in vid if you have it) and see if you still have the problem. If not add things one at a time (reboot in between and test obviously) until the problem reappears.
This lets you rule out most of your hardware.

However, if you really want to give it to your machine, may I suggest looking here?
Sex Toy PC Case Mod

Has a section for men or for women :) (my favorite is the lotion holder lol).

Vorspire

Knight
Rosetta;762032 said:
I saw a toy come out a few years back... kind of scary...eeps.

Anyhow it plugged into a usb and someone else controlled it (turned it on or off and controlled specific movements) through the net. Something about enhancing the webcam experience. I don't think the idea took off since I haven't seen anything like it since.

Thank goodness.

i r copyright this idea hence forth.

4RK3TYP3

Wanderer
IHaveRegistered;761958 said:

hmmm, while in safemode go to start>run and type: msconfig

Inside of there go to the startup tab and hit disable all, then go to the services tab and hit the checkbox for Hide all microsoft services then hit disable all in there as well.

Reboot and if it starts fine I would begin suspecting either a startup entry for either a program that has gone foobar (typically AV) or a malware entry disguising itself.

If it does work then I would go back to msconfig and check what sort of programs are running and put check boxes next to things you know, and leave them off of things that you dont. reboot and you repeat until you've isolated a culprit.

I couldn't say that memory was the issue quite yet (though intermittant issues require long...talking a week long...test of the RAM using memtest to find) but when things start getting slow go check your taskmanager and in the Performance tab check to see how much of the memory is being taken.

Again, the fact that you're in safemode with no troubles probably indicates, like CEO said, an OS, software or registry issue. (software includes malicious and good). If you have alot of firefox windows open and left open for a long while they have been known to leak memory which can turn into slowdowns though I've never quite had it lock up (only notice it really on computers with 512mb of ram so that almost definitely isn't your issue).

**P.S. Also...I have noticed alot of clients indicating that after installing SP3 there system began locking up randomly. I myself have experienced this (before the full conversion to linux) but mine were minor 3 second lockups that never had a rhime or reason to them. Just keep in mind that software is going to be about 80% of your systems issues, so it's usually a good idea to start with software unless something specifically (or implicitly) tells you it's hardware (BSODs)