RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My wishlist

W

Wasted

My wishlist

I was about to develop a UO emulator... But i have no know how and it is very hard to find people able to code a new emu from nothing...

But i had a couple ideas:

- Data Storage
MySQL data storage... this makes data access much faster and safe.
- Any-Language object development
Instead of hardcoding items, chars, events etc, or scripting em, you'd have just to create an interface between the emu and a windll that'd register a class and its events, properties etc. for example, our Dll Extension registers a class passing the classname, classid and a struct containing function pointers to all handlers for our class... hard do understand? You could even develop the extensions as a server/client app, allowing to connect extensions remotelly to the server
- Crash Control
If server crashes, a app restarts it right after backuping all shard data.

R

Rainman

I agree. MySQL would be great. And .NET provides easy access to any type of database through the OLE DB provider so its possable.

BUt the biggest problem I would expect to see is loss of ease of use. MySQL cuts out a lot of hobbyists because not many people know how to mess with DBs.

Plus some C# issues are bound to arise. I think binary would be the next best thing. No external programs needed.

I don't agree with the plugin over easier scripting though. Again the biggest problem is ease of use.