RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Copyright Info

otimpyre

Sorceror
Be aware of this the newest client 7.0.34.6 is protected by the new DMCA bill passed. They can prosecute.

Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Millennium_Copyright_Act

_Epila_

Sorceror
I am not even close to know what this DMCA protect; we will not be able to distribute(custom files) or use this client with private servers?

Sythen

Sorceror
Yes indeed it does mean that distributing custom files or the client is in direct violation of this act. The fact that there may or may not be custom graphics and maps within the files is neither here nor there because Electronic Arts/Mythic Entertainment owns the property rights of the file types extensions used (example: .mul / .uop). Also keep in mind that even though you put your own graphics into the game doesn't mean you escape copyright infringement; remember, we all use the same graphics and animation that were already installed into the game by Electronic Arts/Mythic Entertainment as well.

Up until now, Origin Systems Inc./Electronic Arts/Mythic Entertainment, has never officially condoned owning, operating, or even playing on any emulation server as per paragraph 5, section D of their Terms of Service. However the company has unofficially allowed RunUO and other server emulators go about business as usual for reasons only Ryan really knows and the rest of us can only speculate. My theory is that they like having us around to pull ideas from and market them if they see something they think will make money; kind of like an unspoken alliance where they say, "hey you can have your servers, but you may not charge for them or use our work as your own"; hence why hex editing the client has been a big no no and no one offers to help do it, even though most of us here have done it at one time or another.

The work around is simple: the above notification was taken by me and sent to Otim Pyre... simply do a property check on the UO.exe (I would do a check on all of the .exe files just to be sure)... and look for the Digital Signatures tab. If your UO.exe doesn't have one then you can use and edit that client version and its associated data without any troubles. If your .exe files do have the Digital Signature tab, then Origin Systems Inc./Electronic Arts/Mythic Entertainment reserves the right to eventually go after and legally shut down any emulated server they deem a threat to their pocket book. Don't kid yourselves, everyone here has their own explanation of why this wont happen.

History proves that it isn't necessarily that it wont happen, it could happen, and it did happen with Sony Entertainment Online and Blizzard Entertainment. We've just been lucky so far that Origin Systems Inc./Electronic Arts/Mythic Entertainment has been nice enough to allow us to continue to do what we do, but I see us pushing the envelope by using the newer clients and continually finding ways around the system which could put some of you in jail or face hefty fines. So do what you all are going to do, but keep this warning in the back of your mind because this Federal Act is very real and our government is getting more power hungry. The earliest client I know of that doesn't have this Digital Signature tab is client version 7.0.23.1... best of luck to everyone :)

criminalizes production and dissemination of technology, devices, or services intended to circumvent measures (commonly known as digital rights management or DRM) that control access to copyrighted works. It also criminalizes the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself. In addition, the DMCA heightens the penalties for copyright infringement on the Internet.[ Passed on October 12, 1998, by a unanimous vote in the United States Senate and signed into law by President Bill Clinton on October 28, 1998, the DMCA amended Title 17 of the United States Code to extend the reach of copyright, while limiting the liability of the providers of on-line services for copyright infringement by their users.

Vorspire

Knight
That digital certificate seems to have expired on the 18th October, 2013 - at least by the screen shot in O.P.

mtindell

Sorceror
Electronic Arts isn't stupid.
WTF yes they are.

I'm not a lawyer, but I dont think the fact it is digitally signed changes anything. If the only things being shared are custom, user created content in a file format that just so happens to be read by an executable that they provide and you don't share, I just dont see how that's infringement.

Also, UO isn't exactly a cash cow for them these days and I highly doubt its worth the money to them to pursue it. I mean they haved the money to, but why would they spend more money to protect less? Legal proceedings aren't cheap.

Sythen

Sorceror
While it's true UO's popularity has gone up and down the user base on the commercial side is steady and still holding strong; if it wasn't Mythic Entertainment/OSI/Electronic Arts (all the same company anyway)... would have scrapped the project years ago. In fact Mythic Entertainment has made the game quite a lot more interesting in the past year or so and that has attracted a moderately growing new generation of UO Addicts. You don't have to take my word for it, just log on and see for yourself. The game itself isn't going anywhere on the commercial side of things. People have predicted its closure for at least a decade with no avail... :)

Consequently I don't know what most of anyone on here does for a living but I'm pretty sure most of us are not as successful as those running Electronic Arts. Therefore it's really not our place to make an ignorant statement as to call them stupid because that makes us look stupid. Their annual paychecks could most likely put 10 or 15 mint Rolls Royce Limos in each of our driveways; not to mention that they are monopolizing the gaming industry and have been for the last 10-15 years.

The law doesn't discriminate, the courts really don't care what people think outside the letter of the law, and Electronic Arts may or may not prosecute out of principle to make an example of people... it's not unheard of and is quite common for corporations to do. So whether or not people doubt that you are worth the money to pursue; If they want to, they will. The only people truly protected from prosecution are those in Russia and select countries outside the European Community; people inside the EU are only liable if their country agrees that the copyright in question infringes on their own local laws so it really may make no difference for them either.

If you live in the United States and Canada I recommend you use the older clients to be on the safe side.

The work around (mentioned above) is safe; the older clients are just as good as the newer ones. As for High Seas... RunUO had it way before EA stole it and marketed it for $14.95. http://www.runuo.com/community/thre...uo-2-0-callador2ks-ml-svn.100407/#post-830473 lol - EA just made it better, but what they accomplished with this script system is nothing compared to what our community members are capable of.

mtindell

Sorceror
While it's true UO's popularity has gone up and down the user base on the commercial side is steady and still holding strong; if it wasn't Mythic Entertainment/OSI/Electronic Arts (all the same company anyway)... would have scrapped the project years ago. In fact Mythic Entertainment has made the game quite a lot more interesting in the past year or so and that has attracted a moderately growing new generation of UO Addicts. You don't have to take my word for it, just log on and see for yourself. The game itself isn't going anywhere on the commercial side of things. People have predicted its closure for at least a decade with no avail... :)

I might just do that. But the last time I did (2011 or so) it was pretty empty and had been declining steadily for about several years by that point (Cheasapeake and LS).

Consequently I don't know what most of anyone on here does for a living but I'm pretty sure most of us are not as successful as those running Electronic Arts. Therefore it's really not our place to make an ignorant statement as to call them stupid because that makes us look stupid. Their annual paychecks could most likely put 10 or 15 mint Rolls Royce Limos in each of our driveways; not to mention that they are monopolizing the gaming industry and have been for the last 10-15 years.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Electronic-Arts-Salaries-E1628.htm

Color me unimpressed. I'm sure the CxOs make a ton, but the people actually making gameplay and art decisions seem to be upper middle class at best.
And yes, if anyone thinks digitally signing a file would actually deter people from projects like this, that is stupid.
they have the monopoly on sports and shooters, but only 0.6% of the MMO market speaks volumes on their decision making.

The law doesn't discriminate, the courts really don't care what people think outside the letter of the law, and Electronic Arts may or may not prosecute out of principle to make an example of people... it's not unheard of and is quite common for corporations to do. So whether or not people doubt that you are worth the money to pursue; If they want to, they will. The only people truly protected from prosecution are those in Russia and select countries outside the European Community; people inside the EU are only liable if their country agrees that the copyright in question infringes on their own local laws so it really may make no difference for them either.

I'd still like to know how sharing custom files with completely user generated content is violating their copyright. I haven't been into RunUO for a few years, but last I checked nothing in the exe was modified and/or shared for customs maps or art. Are the newer UOP files digitally signed? Do they now require modifications to the executable? If not, I fail to see why redistributing the (copyrighted) executable and unmodified along with the (uncopyrighted) modified files would be neccessary.

Vorspire

Knight
The client has always been protected.
The "client" encompasses almost everything in the installation directory, not just the executable.
Any files that the executable depends on in order to function correctly are the parts of the sum that make up the client.

The digital signing was probably a standard company policy practise or result of an automated process.
It may seem stupid to you, but a small piece of evidence like that in court can not be refuted if used to back up their claim that the files in question were actually protected.

EA probably wouldn't gain anything from launching a campaign against free-shards, it would most likely be a gigantic waste of money, time and resources.
I think there has always been an unspoken mutual understanding since Ultima Online left the spot-light of a main-stream title - and that understanding is that we all (this community and the EA UO devs) just want to keep the game alive a little longer.

mtindell

Sorceror
Like I said, I'm not a lawyer, but If the "parts of a whole" argument were true, a lot of console emulators would be illegal as the files they need to run (bios/rom images) are copyrighted and thus not distributed with them for much the same reason. And its not for lack of trying, the only one I know of that had any legal action attempted against it (Bleem!) was unsuccessful for that very reason To my knowledge, none have been successful, but I could be wrong.

I do agree however that the digital signing was more standard practice than conscious intent and retract my previous statement.

pooka01

Sorceror
I wanted to stop buying EA games stuffs just because al they want is profit. I know they want to have money, and provide is fun, but when it's time to stop something, they just completly break it apart, run away, and sell a "2" of that said game... I remember whgen they stutted down battlefield 2, they destroyed the sp game, and they closed the servers for multiplayers, which meant: "you shall not play anymore as we said so!". So meh, i just hate the new laws about digiital stuffs, they should rather be more worried about pedos and stupid ads...