RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official results of Stress Test!

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Official results of Stress Test!

Client: 207.75.49.101:1534: Disconnected [1491 Total Connections]
Client: 127.0.0.1:1535: connected. [1491 Total connections]

1491 connections... @ this point the server did not lock up/freeze or have any major issues. Lag was minimal. We hit the server with about 1480 simulated users total. You ask how we did this?

We created an application that logs in and walks around in the world (after creating a characther). This program was launched from multiple pc's accross the internet.

These simulated users all walk around, aimlessly... they are never still... this is a successful stress test.

Network utilization was just over 1 Mbit to handle this load.

:)

Just thought I would fill ya in...

Unseen

Sorceror
Very cool

As close to real world as you're gonna get w/o getting hordes of people to actually get on. Just get it running with a few dozen and you'll fullfill 95% of the shards out there :)
What box was this on?

Unseen

C

Chaos

These were real users Kiwi, I got a taste of the ghost client that logs users in! PRETTY DAMN COOL KRRIOS.

Here's a funny tidbit for this post:

I ran this stress test against LoC v2.8 Build 3 last night, had 122 users on (all from 2 LAN PCs, not server) and server bombed out.

=( LoC cant handle the players.....

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
Let me put it this way... were we aiming for tha tmany users.. no. We were not... we were just looking to make sure it was stable...

We are shell shcoked at how well it works. I am just hopoing that in the future we can support a full world with 1/3 of that :)

R

Rainman

And on another note, thats double the amount of people that are on siege perilous 24/7. Ask them if they have ever had lag :)

A

AlejandroX

I have a quick n00b question. Now when the server lags a bit in that situation (I was on at the time running around willy nilly), for my client; Is that because the server is being bogged down, the connection the server is on is being bogged, my connection (dsl at the time) was being bogged down, or my client had too many characters on screen at once and it was just a matter of hardware performance? I didn't notice much difference between 3d and 2d though, so I kinda ruled out the hardware option. How does this work :?:

Zippy

Razor Creator
There are several reason for lag... So it depends on the type of lag...

When you walk into a highly populated area, your connection and (especially) the client lag to draw everything--that's client lag. Use Krrios' client :)

When you and a few people are just hanging out and suddently you start lagging (but not the other people) that's connection lag--could be your 28.8 modem, or your ISP's route to the server.

When you and your friends all lag that's most likely Server load lag... It's also possible it's the server's connection, but usually it's just load...

R

Rainman

You will also notice that OSI's client just can't handle things as well as krrios client

Osi's client is 5 years old, with so much stuff cluttered into it. Its a shame, but its also a sign that unless OSI rewrites there client\server they won't be lasting for much longer.

Zulu

Wanderer
Is there any chance his client will work on XP computers? I get an error when I try to run it.

Since I can't run it, question - Does it support all of lbr?

T

Tilion

i cant share your enthusiasm.
it doesnt matter in what language you script or how good the programmers of the emulator are: the server has to send what the client wants to see.
RunUO will not have any influence on connection lag. the packets for making the client see things (items, messages, chars, weather, ...) will not be smaller with RunUO and i dont think it will send less packets than the other emulators do...

krrios

Administrator
Yes, of course RunUO must send what the client needs to see. You say RunUO will not have any influence on connection lag, this is true, but connection lag also has no influence on RunUO. If one connection is lagging, RunUO isn't affected.

RunUO has a very smart client updating mechanism, which most certainly can reduce the amount of packets sent. Any bottlenecks found in RunUO will likely not be network related.

As posted in another thread, RunUO uses "sectors" heavily; the map is divided up to allow highly efficient in-range enumeration.

duckhead

Wanderer
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. But please keep in mind that there are several things that will decrease the amount of people able to be in the world at once. The biggest is that we don't have any NPC AI (or really any NPC...) As the server has to decide what to do for many NPC's, it'll probably become busier. In addition, we really had an empty world in general. This means that all the server had to tell the client about (or even really manage) was the other players. As soon as we start creating more objects and filling out the world, performance may go down there. I can't say how much (obviously) but I don't think it will be more than about 20% worst case.

Having said that, I think Krrios has done a fabulous job architecting the server, especially the network layer, and I think it's going to be the best one around.

duckhead

C

Chaos

Almost ALL my lag with the first 150 stress test guys on was client lag. Cause when I was off screen I was moving like I was connected to my LAN server here.

Zulu

Wanderer
I just found a work around to make the client work on windows xp. If your right click the client.exe and config.exe and click on properties.

Click the ~compatibility tab.
Check mark the ~Run this program in compatiblity mode for:
From the drop down list select Windows 2000
Click on Ok.

G

GM Robin

One of the old versions worked on Windows XP for me. I haven't tried it in awile. Any chance of that "Ghost Client" being made available for Public Download?