RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post Office Stone

raisor

Wanderer
Sorry for the bump, but I got this all working together now. See the first post for the updates. Let me know if any problems arise!

Thanks,
Tom Sapp

Draxus

Wanderer
1st... I must say, This idea is awsome I will def use it on my shard
2nd... I did notice one thing however, That the letters message disappears after you close it. Personally I think it should stay, so that if a player harasses another player they would be able to report it or something.. or maybe just save the letter for the hell of it.
3rd... Not sure if anyone suggested this or not. But I think there should be a reserved Mail Box or something Inside the Bank box that is not movable or anything that the letters and such are sent to. Just a thought :)

raisor

Wanderer
Draxus said:
1st... I must say, This idea is awsome I will def use it on my shard
2nd... I did notice one thing however, That the letters message disappears after you close it. Personally I think it should stay, so that if a player harasses another player they would be able to report it or something.. or maybe just save the letter for the hell of it.
3rd... Not sure if anyone suggested this or not. But I think there should be a reserved Mail Box or something Inside the Bank box that is not movable or anything that the letters and such are sent to. Just a thought :)
I'm not sure what you mean by the message disappears after you close it. I've tested it several times and even after resending the item and it keeps the message. Can you elaborate a little further on this? As for your Mail box idea, I may work that in. Got a couple other things I wanna work on too. :)

Draxus

Wanderer
Well, after I right-click out of the letter, after its been read.. and I reopen it. Its Empty. Totally blank
I even tried sending it with the Post stone then reopening it.. and it still goes blank after I try to read it a second time

Ignius

Wanderer
ok this is a great script i think it has the ability to go very far its already on my server so i know other people love it but theres only a few problems well one major one realy my shard uses a custom gump for the login screen as do many other and it tends to make the original gumps look realy trashy not cus of you guys but cuz the custom login gump anyways i was wandering if somone could make a new one i downloaded that one guys but it had alot of errors when compiling

jaynigs

Wanderer
Seems a cool idea, but wouldnt it be more realistic if you had to be at your house when u send and receive mail.

If no house, then u can grab your mail say at brit bank...

Otherwise this system could be abused

Just a thought

Ignius

Wanderer
ok i redid the post office box gump i like it its realy simple and easy to use im thinking of changing a few more things if i do plan on it ill post an update

Post Office

raisor

Wanderer
Draxus said:
Well, after I right-click out of the letter, after its been read.. and I reopen it. Its Empty. Totally blank
I even tried sending it with the Post stone then reopening it.. and it still goes blank after I try to read it a second time
Try the new updated scripts and see if this fixes your problem. Sorry about that. :eek:

Tarkan

Wanderer
I'm having the same problem as Draxus...letter doesn't seem to go anywhere and when I reopen it all text is gone. Also when I use the post office stone I get a message saying "You did not specify a person to send to" when I clearly did. This did not happen with the previous version, only with the latest update. All in all this is a great script and very useful, now just need to iron out the hicks.
Questions:
1) Why is there a send button on the letter when it clearly does not send since you need the post office stone to send the letters?
2) Instead of "post office" why not call the stone "mail box"?
3) what exactly is the function of the address book other then to store peoples names as I haven't seen either the letter or the post office store request anything from it? Maybe I'm mistaken on this one...
Anyway, keep up the good work.

having the same problem as Draxus...letter doesn't seem to go anywhere and when I reopen it all text is gone. Also when I use the post office stone I get a message saying "You did not specify a person to send to" when I clearly did. This did not happen with the previous version, only with the latest update. All in all this is a great script and very useful, now just need to iron out the hicks.

I'm also seeing the text dissappear when you close the letter. Not quite sure why this is happening. I would love for my players to be able to keep their letters. Any help you can offer would be extremely welcome.

*Edit*
Ok, I think I am seeing the problem now. If I create the letter, click "Send" and then reopen it, and click close, send or right click on it, the message goes away and I end up sending a blank letter. So the problem is before the message gets sent. Once it is received by the recipient, I can open and close it all day long without problems.

Ghosthunter.

raisor

Wanderer
Ok, after reading the last couple of posts I believe I know where the problem lies. The wording on the letter gump is a little off. If you right click to close out of the letter it will not save any changes. I have changed the text from Send to Done as that is what I had it originally say. It was never meant to be sent without using the postoffice stone.

As for why I named it post office instead of mailbox... A post office provides the service of sending mail, a mailbox stores that mail. Since the items are deposited in your bankbox, the post office does not store anything.

Also, with the Post Office Gump, i forgot to mention in my updates that I had added a button to pick the names out of your address book that you want to send to. I changed the wording on the post office gump to reflect this and hopefully this will solve the confusion for this as well.

Let me know if any other problems are found. :D

Sweet! Thank dude!

Just wanted to tell you that I love this feature. My players haven't had a chance to fool with it yet, but I've prepped them and they're really excited about it. Keep up the good work!

Ghosthunter

Tarkan

Wanderer
Thanks fo rthe super fast fix to a great script. Works great now! Keep on scripting...looking forward to more stuff from you.

Tarkan

Wanderer
One thing...since I imagine you will be updating this great script and adding to it, would you consider adding a version number to it? PostOffice v1.0.zip would make it easier to identify as being a newer version than just plain PostOffice.zip.
This would be a great thing for scripters to do as well as adding a short readme in the zip. Some people archive and may not want to search for the corresponding webpage every time they forget what needs to be done. Kudos to those who already do.
Anyway, keep on scripting...great stuff!

Tarkan

Wanderer
One last thing...everyone on my shard is reporting receiving blank "letter". Any reason why that would be? the letters themselves don't say "a letter from XXXX" like they used to. odd.

I'm also still seeing the same problem. I reported it earlier in a post above:

I'm also seeing the text dissappear when you close the letter. Not quite sure why this is happening. I would love for my players to be able to keep their letters. Any help you can offer would be extremely welcome.

*Edit*
Ok, I think I am seeing the problem now. If I create the letter, click "Send" and then reopen it, and click close, send or right click on it, the message goes away and I end up sending a blank letter. So the problem is before the message gets sent. Once it is received by the recipient, I can open and close it all day long without problems.

I believe that if you "doube check" your letter before you send it, you will end up sending a blank letter. I haven't had time to look into the script, but it almost acts like the object is being destroyed before it sends.

Ghosthunter

Tarkan

Wanderer
no double clicking on the part of the senders....but you do need to d-click it to read the letter, and letters always are blank. something is obviously not quite right somewhere. this sucks because people like it so much that i'm pressured to no end.

raisor

Wanderer
Seems to be some confusion here. Here are the exact steps that need to be taken for the letters to work correctly:

1. Double Click the letter.
2. Enter Name for recipient (To field)
3. Enter message.
4. Click done.
5. Go to post office.
6. Choose who to send it too from address book.
7. Click send item.
8. Person who receives it should double click to read.

if, at any time before step 4, you right click or click cancel, you will lose the message and it will still say "a letter" as the name.

Have you verified with your players that these are the steps they are following?