RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private (semi) server

NarcissusG

Wanderer
I'll make this as short and to the point as I can:

I want a full server-ready package with everything set-up and ready to run. I have the RunUO 2.3 and the distro and yadayadayada...

Too much time and too much headache for someone that has VERY limited time to spend.

I joined a freeshard and while enjoying it, it isn't what I want. I don't WANT to deal with other players. I mostly want a fully fleshed UO for single player play. I have a friend that might join me... but that may or may not happen and simply isn't that important atm.

I want it as close to OSI as is reasonably possible and can edit skill and stat caps, etc as I go along. I want imbuing and ter mur (spelling) set up and ready, skills working and ready, quests set and ready, etc, etc, etc.

Is there any way that someone that runs a fully fledged server can share their world? Is it simple enough that I can get it up and running with virtually zero knowledge beyond basic windows knowledge?

Would I need to pay for this? Would it be expensive?

I am desperate... I've spent virtually every minute of the last few days trying to get mine set-up, then get it connected, then get stat and skill caps prepared and working... only to find that there is still a ton that needs to be added even with the distro and such. I just don't have the time to learn it all and I don't have the time to add it even if I did learn how.

Help?!?

tindo

Sorceror
I think the problem is that Stygian Abyss stuff is not supported by RunUO. Therefore, anyone with an SA server has done a ton of work to put in Imbuing and other systems. More to the point, i have yet to see a shard that has OSI accurate Stygian Abyss, although we are all getting closer and closer everyday. No one is likely to give or even sell you what you are asking for.

However, there are a few ways that you can get close to what you want. Vorspire has a project that will get you running and playing very fast but it doesnt have SA. The project is here https://www.assembla.com/spaces/rushuo/wiki

Another option is ServUO which does have SA content but is not OSI accurate yet. Still it might be close enough that you could get good free playtime from it. www.servuo.com

Sorry for my typing. Im on an iphone, lol

Good luck.

NarcissusG

Wanderer
tindo,

THANK YOU! I really appreciate the advice, the explanation, and the links!

I haven't played UO (not counting my recent foray into a freeshard) in well over ten years, so I wouldn't know an exact OSI copy and a heavily modified one. The reason I was hoping for a 'close to OSI' version would be so that I could more reliably use information resources when getting stuck. Not a deal breaker, in any way... just a wish added to a want. ;)

As far as Stygian Abyss... I'm not even sure what all is added by that expansion. I read that imbuing was and I have been having a good amount of fun playing with that system... hence my request for that. I'll be looking into both options you provided.

If any server owner happens to read this and happens to be willing to share to a single person who wants it for nothing more than single-player fun... please still let me know.

Again... thank you so much, tindo. You are a big bag of awesomesauce with a cup, a platter, and a smile. Thanks!

NarcissusG

Wanderer
tindo,

After looking at them both, I'm not positive that I understood correctly...

I'm looking for something with everything basically set up and play ready: quests, gates, etc.

Both RushUO and ServUO appear, at first glance, to be offshoots of RunUO; i.e. still requires world building, populating, scripting, etc...

Did I miss something or did you misunderstand what I was looking for?

I already have RunUO set-up... using the latest distro, it is semi populated, etc, it just isn't fully complete and will require scripting and world building to flesh it out.

Thanks in advance and sorry for any miscommunication,

Narcissus

tindo

Sorceror
Ok, I think the problem may be that your not familiar with the commands for the world. Once you download either the main RunUO or one of the "forks" like ServUO or RushUO there is still a few things that you need to do, but they don't involve scripting or world building.

I think your confused on some of the terms maybe. When we talk about "World Building", "Scripting", etc. it refers to modifying the scripts or maps that already exist in RunUO or the client.

However, RunUO by itself is ready to go, you just need to do a few simple things to get it started. Mostly in commands. The first command you will want to use is [createworld. This give you a menu that will allow you to check things you want to generate such as the decorations in the towns, moongates, and special locations. Then you need to spawn the world with creatures. How you do this depends on which "fork" you have and if it came with Nerun's Distro or XMLspawner, or in some cases, both. ServUO comes loaded with both XMLspawner and Nerun's. I think RushUO comes loaded with Nerun's.

If you use RunUO 2.3, I don't think it has the spawns there but all you need to do is drop the files from Neruns Distro into your scripts folder and then type [premiumspawner to get a nice menu that will spawn the entire world for you.

That's all you should need to get going, you don't really have to edit scripts, build maps, or anything. Just use the commands to deco and spawn and you are good to go.

If you are still stuck, I can create a basic RunUO install with Nerun's distro and get it set up for you. That only takes minutes. Its all the custom stuff that is not in RunUO that requires time and edits.

NarcissusG

Wanderer
tindo,

Sorry about not replying sooner. I actually thought that I had replied and when I went to see if there had been any other replies...

Thank you for the offer to get it setup for me, but it isn't needed. I already have the runuo and the distro (populated) set up and am playing around with it. It isn't as fleshed out as I was hoping for and the lack of several skills (imbuing, mysticism, etc) kinda stinks, but I'm still enjoying it immensely.

I will be watching and reading in my spare time, and I'm hoping to find what I would ultimately be most happy with... but I'm already quite pleased as things stand.

Thank you for the wealth of info and your time and your offer. You, are a good person.

Narcissus

tindo

Sorceror
Glad to hear that you are up and running. When you say its not fleshed out, are you talking about the spawns? Thats somrthing that we czn help with if you are specific in what you need.

NarcissusG

Wanderer
Well... mostly I mean the lack of working skills. Spellweaving has a quite a few spells that are disabled (I cheated in the book and used [allspells to fill it in). Mysticism doesn't appear to be working at all. Imbuing is the same.

I haven't played UO in years and years and most everything is brand new to me. I played on ABCUO for a couple of weeks and that is my only knowledge of this new game that carries an old familiar name.

In truth, I was implying that I was hoping for 'more' as in a fully established game world like ABCUO. It has a starter area, starting quests, bushido, ninjitsu, mysticism, imbuing, and all of that. I still haven't done any of the ToS things (not sure exactly what those are), the gauntlet things, or any of the champion spawns. I'm not sure if any of that is included in the runUO thing that I have running.

I don't mean to come across as ungrateful because I'm not. I'm amazed and ecstatic, I really am. I just wanted what, apparently, isn't attainable: a fleshed out, filled and fully working game like the established servers.

Regardless... I'm having a ball and I'm not giving up hope that a server owner will take pity and do some secret sharing. :p

Narcissus

tindo

Sorceror
Understood completely!

There are definately some shards out there that have come a long way with expanding on RunUO and having Mysticism, Imbuing and even some High Seas stuff. You might get lucky and have someone share with you.

Of course, when you start getting bored playing on your shard with just you and a friend, come back here and learn how to make some changes to the world or add in custom stuff. Half the fun is deciding on a change, making it, and then seeing the results played out. There are plently of people willing to help you accomplish what you want. These forums are much more friendly now then they were in the 2004 era, thanks to Ryan cracking down on the rudeness that marked so many of the early developers.

NarcissusG

Wanderer
Hahaha!!

I'm not holding my breath that a server owner is going to share his private server work. I'm hopeful, but I know now it isn't very likely.

I'm not sure that my friend will even be playing. He joined me on ABCUO and instantly started criticizing the game, the graphics, etc. I think, though he is my age (37), that he is of a 'younger' gamer generation that needs pretty graphics and finds that more important than substance and good gameplay.

I realize that you guys may have lots of fun coding and programing and all of that, but I'm, I assure you, not. :p

If the rest of the forum members are half as nice and/or helpful as you... Ryan has done a wonderful job.

P.S. If you (or anyone who reads this) happens to know an established server owner... feel free to let them know my situation and request!

Thanks,

Narcissus

sec_goat

Squire
NarcissusG I do not believe RunUO has any Imbuing or mysticism included. You will need to use something like ServUO Or RushUO(Possibly, I am not familiar with this one).
Then you simply need to spawn and decorate your world ( 2 simple commands). then you will have pretty much everything you need to get out there and start playing.

NarcissusG

Wanderer
NarcissusG I do not believe RunUO has any Imbuing or mysticism included. You will need to use something like ServUO Or RushUO(Possibly, I am not familiar with this one).
Then you simply need to spawn and decorate your world ( 2 simple commands). then you will have pretty much everything you need to get out there and start playing.
I haven't heard of ServUO... I'll make sure to check it out.

Were you saying that it DOES include Imbuing, Mysticism, Ninjitsu, etc?

Regardless... the next chance I have, I'll grab it and see for myself if you haven't responded by then.

Thanks so much... this has to be the greatest community I've encountered.

Narcissus

sec_goat

Squire
NarcissusG yes servuo.com is a branch of RunUO where they are focusing on developing the SA content. It does appear that it includes Imbuing, Mysticysm and ninjitsu.