RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Program to remotely access your computer...

Program to remotely access your computer...

Alright...

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a program that can allow me to access my computer from school.

I've tried (and used) Remote Desktop (managed to get that baby blocked), and now TightVNC (which simply doesn't work). I just wanna access my own computer without buying a lappy.

I was also wondering if the place i'm at may have something stopping me from accessing a computer outside of its little learning environment... (I got a little feeling that they don't want me to do this... so by all means i'm going to try my hardest to do the opposite!)

Well, if anyone can think of either one (as in a program, or if they got some sort of block), and knows a way to get past it (without pulling off some 'leet haxzoring'...), then please say away :)

--Toodles!
-Aiden

madphatboy2

Wanderer
I ran into a guy that had the same problem at work. He some how proxied in to his computer so that he could play WOW at work. Now when you say they have blocked remote desktop, are you sure that they closed the ports? if that's the case then perhaps you could use a different port. (not sure how to change it, or if it can even be done.) Perhaps something else to try would be to see if you can find a program that would allow you use of your computer at home through a web browser. I used a program once to do that but I can't remember what it was called. There are certainly other options out there.

madphatboy2 said:
I ran into a guy that had the same problem at work. He some how proxied in to his computer so that he could play WOW at work. Now when you say they have blocked remote desktop, are you sure that they closed the ports? if that's the case then perhaps you could use a different port. (not sure how to change it, or if it can even be done.) Perhaps something else to try would be to see if you can find a program that would allow you use of your computer at home through a web browser. I used a program once to do that but I can't remember what it was called. There are certainly other options out there.
Ahh, very good idea there. They may have blocked them, now just what port to use... I'm going to assume they blocked all of the ports they don't need-

Would 80 or 8080 work? (HTTP and Alt. HTTP)

fearyourself

Wanderer
IHaveRegistered said:
Ahh, very good idea there. They may have blocked them, now just what port to use... I'm going to assume they blocked all of the ports they don't need-

Would 80 or 8080 work? (HTTP and Alt. HTTP)

Yahoo messenger uses port 80 for example... That made some companies ban the use of the net altogether...

Jc

fearyourself said:
Yahoo messenger uses port 80 for example... That made some companies ban the use of the net altogether...

Jc
Ouch, using port 80 it is then :)
Tomorrow i'll have some new updates on this...

Any other programs like Remote Desktop and TightVNC that anyone knows of though? I thought of both to be very good, but maybe another proggy will work while these two don't?

I know that the school blocks various words... Such as MSN, any kindof words that can generate images that shouldn't be seen, and some weird and random words (no clue why for some...).

Edit: The word "Parapet" is blocked...

Avelyn

Sorceror
fearyourself said:

Jc

Ooo The school I work at has this cool program that scans packets and if it's an IM packet (can be aim, Y! or MSN) it kills it. So even proxy servers don't help, it sucks! To answer your question, I use RealVNC I love it. Make sure when you use programs like this, you do the port forwarding on your home router!! That may be the problem you are having with the other VNC. I would pick a completely random port number and try and keep it somewhat low. Alot of schools just block anything above like 2000 which kills most IM, VNC and IRC clients. I use like 1107 or something.

Avelyn said:
Ooo The school I work at has this cool program that scans packets and if it's an IM packet (can be aim, Y! or MSN) it kills it. So even proxy servers don't help, it sucks! To answer your question, I use RealVNC I love it. Make sure when you use programs like this, you do the port forwarding on your home router!! That may be the problem you are having with the other VNC. I would pick a completely random port number and try and keep it somewhat low. Alot of schools just block anything above like 2000 which kills most IM, VNC and IRC clients. I use like 1107 or something.

-I'll give that program a look-see. Sounds quite good.
-Port forwarding done (i wish you can forward more than 8 though...)
-That could be the problem, i'm using port 5900 to connect. So that's no good. I think I will try 80. There's no way they'll block out the internet :p

(watch them be spying on me using a remote desktop-like program...)

Avelyn

Sorceror
IHaveRegistered said:
-I'll give that program a look-see. Sounds quite good.
-Port forwarding done (i wish you can forward more than 8 though...)
-That could be the problem, i'm using port 5900 to connect. So that's no good. I think I will try 80. There's no way they'll block out the internet :p

(watch them be spying on me using a remote desktop-like program...)

Just to let you know, most home ISP's block serving on Port 80. You may be able to get through the school stuff that way but your cable company may stop you :).

Avelyn said:
Just to let you know, most home ISP's block serving on Port 80. You may be able to get through the school stuff that way but your cable company may stop you :).
What?! Why? Hacker security type of thing?

What port do you suggest? (maybe 21... hehehe >: ) )

David

Moderate
You could look at PCnow.com or GoToMyPC.com, as a former network administrator I know they are tough to block. They both charge a fee though.

Malaperth

Wanderer
LogMeIn.com has a free service that I use and it uses port 80 to the best of my knowledge.

The only drawback is that there is no file transfer, and only content copy/paste to a certain size. You can't, for example, copy a file and paste it on the other machine. You can copy text from a document and paste though. To get around the file transfer part, I use a Yahoo mail account which allows up to 10 meg attachments.

David said:
You could look at PCnow.com or GoToMyPC.com, as a former network administrator I know they are tough to block. They both charge a fee though.
Does that mean that you know methods of getting around these? (or methods that people used to get around some of the blocks?)

Shadow1980

Wanderer
Avelyn said:

I'd second that RealVNC is an excellent application. We use it within our company with great results.

Kirin-Man said:
Careful, you might get banned for "making a request", like last time.
Good point. Don't wanna do that again :p I simply live here during my spairs.

Shadow1980 said:
I'd second that RealVNC is an excellent application. We use it within our company with great results.
I guess i'll try that one, a few seem to recommend it.

I just tried port 25 and no luck... My next bet would be 21 or some port that's used more often (I can't use port 80, otherwise my website wont work)