RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project: Homeshard

scadeus

Traveler
Hey folks,
first of all let me introduce myself: I am 20 years old and currently living in germany. I hope, what I'll be writing does not sound like the usual 'omg i wanna set up my own runuo server pls halp' you probably read sometimes here on the forums. I have been playing UO for the past 8 years, so I'm a post-golden-era-player. :p I used to run my own little server under uox3 a few years ago, but i thought, i might give it a try with runUO to build a little and walk around in the world i made. Unfortunately, many important files for building up a homeshard have gone amiss over the years, so i thought, i might collect all the things i used to upload them together with a bunch of tutorials for those who try to set up a server in the future.

So here is what i want to do in particular:
  • letting the server run under runUO on my own computer, maybe together with others some day.
  • creating a custom map by using centrED
  • walk around on that map afterward

So this is what i managed so far: I was able to run either centrED or runUO, but not both using one installation. The clients I've tried so far: Age of Shadows, Mondain's Legacy, Stygian Abyss (7.0.3.0), Second Age. I was only able to edit the map with centrED under AOS, when I tried to use any of the other clients, my cedserver.exe just closed after entering Admin-Name and PW. When i tried to log into my AOS client after starting RunUO, i was stuck at the Character Creation screen.

What client do you recommend? Is what I am planning even possible? Or is it just some stupid mistake i am making? I would appreciate every kind of help you could offer. As I said, it has been a while since i was messing around with my last home server, but I hope to get into the matter again soon. If not, I am ready for a long trial-and-error-process - getting that thing to work will be my long-term project.

So please, any contribution is welcome.
Scadeus

PS: I hope you don't mind if I make a few mistakes in writing, my english has become a bit rusty. :p

m309

Squire
You need to make sure you use the larger map size for ML clients and up, the map size is expanded and Centred looks for the larger map, sees the smaller one, and shuts itself down. The map sizes for all facets can be found here:

http://redmine.aksdb.de/projects/centred/wiki/Map

The reason you can likely only run Centred OR RunUO is because you have them both set to the same port, just change one of them. You can run multiple instances of Centred and RunUO (really as many as you'd like as long as you have free ports and your CPU/RAM can handle it) as long as they are all set to different ports. RunUO port can be changed in the SocketOptions.cs and Centred port is set when you initially set it up, but you can also simply open the .xml that is generated and edit the map size AND port in there and save it.

As far as RunUO not accepting an AOS client, I'm not sure, I use 7.0.15.1 with core AOS.

scadeus

Traveler
Hey,
first of all: thanks for your help. I found a classic client (7.0.15.1), which is downloading right now. Guess, I'll give this one a try or is there any possibility to patch my already existing installation of AOS up to 7.0.15.1, but not any further?

m309

Squire
I'm pretty sure you can do that, yes. I've personally never bothered messing with starting and stopping the patches, I've always just direct downloaded the client I was looking for.

scadeus

Traveler
Downloaded the Client, extracted it, set up RunUO, everything fine so far. I was also able to log in using Razor. Cedserver.exe also worked with the new map size. Thanks alot! If that is okay for you, i would like to ask another question: How can I apply the changes i did in centrED to my RunUO server? If I flush in centrED, shut everything down and log in via the client, nothing has changed.

m309

Squire
Thats quite easy. Flush, and shutdown as you did. Next you want to also shut down your Client, and the RunUO server. Now go into your CED server folder and copy the mapX.mul, StaticsX.mul and StaidX.mul files. Then simply paste them into your Client folder, and the RunUO folder that houses your servers copy of the client files (should be 2 separate folders) - not - the file containing the server scripts. Then restart your server, and login, and any map changes you made should be good to go.

scadeus

Traveler
Just to make sure i got that right - there should be three separate directories of UO: one for CED, RunUO and the actual client for playing each?

scadeus

Traveler
Sorry for posting twice.

I did as you described, 3 separate directories. Everything works fine except applying changes in the map to my client and runUO directory. After flushing and shutting down my CED i copy&paste my map0.mul, statics0.mul and staidx0.mul files (since there are no mapX.mul, StaticsX.mul and StaidX.mul as far as i can see >.<) into the client and server path, but after logging in, nothing has changes. Still, i can see the changes i made (removing statics and adjusting the height) in CED.

m309

Squire
Ahh, yes...the "X" was just a placeholder for whichever file you might be messing with, 0 - 5.

The only thing I could think of for your stuff not to show correctly would be if you're probably on Trammel in game. When you log in, use the command ".set map felucca", without the parenthesis, and target yourself. If you haven't modified CharacterCreation.cs then you'd automatically end up on Trammel (Map1) at creation, and not on Felucca (Map0).

scadeus

Traveler
Hey, sorry to ask another question. I have encountered a very weird issue. My whole server was working fine. The only script change that was made is the improved adddoor gump, which was also working fine. I was also able to apply the changes i made in centrED, as i wanted. Yesterday, centrED crashed and now I can not walk any longer on my map. I made sure cantwalk and frozen are set to false, still no change. Even complete reinstallation did not change a thing. Strangely, this only happens when in felucca. On Trammel i cant walk just as normal as always. My client version is 7.0.15.1.

Hope you guys can help me! ;)

m309

Squire
Hmm. Make sure you have the exact same map files in both your Server folder and your Client folder. Centred crashing shouldn't affect anything when logged in though, so I'm not sure about that.

scadeus

Traveler
I do use the same map files in server and client. Checking the properties of the ground tiles via the admin console revealed that runUO has flagged them as impassable and wet, although they look like grass and were set to Z 1.

scadeus

Traveler
I do. I manually entered my server directory into my Datapath.cs and that seems to work. We'll see for how long.
Thanks anyway, I really appreciate your help. :)