RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Publisher Script

lewism

Wanderer
Publisher Script

I created an NPC that will publish your books when you hand them a book. The new books will state the time that the book was published. Later, when a Publisher NPC is created, the books that he sells are read-only versions of your published book.

This script does need some work still, as I am not sure how to change the items that a vendor sells over time. At the moment, a new publisher takes 10 random books from the data\books directory.

Also, these books are saved as serialized xml files. I did this because I created an Atom client to publish the books to a blog.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• Publisher.zip
    5.5 KB · Views: 103

KillerBeeZ

Knight
this is a damn good idea.

Could you also explain how to publish these to a blog?

And is there a way to make sure players don't publish nasty books that you wouldn't want public?

D

draco

Just a question. Is this not like Awakendlands publisher? Painting Publisher was hes script, like i said just a question.

lewism

Wanderer
re: good idea

KillerBeeZ said:
this is a damn good idea.

Could you also explain how to publish these to a blog?

And is there a way to make sure players don't publish nasty books that you wouldn't want public?
At the moment, I publish using System.Net.WebClient. I am heavily into modifying this script to support updates and deleting books. I have changed parts to use HttpWebRequest and HttpWebResponse objects instead.

Rite now, my server pauses when a request is made to the blog - so I'm working on a way to get around this - either by working in a seperate thread, or have an extra application running with a file watcher on the books directory.

Also, I have figured out how to change the items that a shop keeper may sell every 6 hours. This is cool for a server that has a lot of books. If you don't buy the book when you see it, you will never know the next time you'll see it again.

I'll repost the script as soon as I get these updates fully working.

lewism

Wanderer
never heard of it until you mentioned it.

draco said:
Just a question. Is this not like Awakendlands publisher? Painting Publisher was hes script, like i said just a question.
I haven't heard of Awakendlands publisher before, but I did find the thread:

http://www.runuo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27490&highlight=publisher

It looks like it has to do a lot with painting and having a skill system based on it. My script here primarily deals with writing books and publishing them to vendors for resale. (and later to blogs). One thing I would also like to look into is getting royalties for published works that are sold to other players through the NPCs.

Maybe my idea isn't original ... but to be honest, I didn't copy off of this person. I worked the trenches myself trying to figure out how to do this stuff. If awakendlands (or someone else) feels that this is a copy off of his work, then they can contact me (or post here) and ask me to delete it.

I'm just trying to play it safe.

lewism

Wanderer
Blog is not required

Kesia said:
okay if I download this will I need a blog as well?
No, you don't need a blog. I am working on the feature so that a blog is optional - prefereably with blogger.com (free blog service from google). If you have any web server skills, you could read the Data\Books directory and convert all of the books XML code into HTML pages.