RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Q]Server Freezing SVN 384 ML53

koluch

Sorceror
[Q]Server Freezing SVN 384 ML53

Im totally perplexed.
I merged the server files, triple checked, compiled the core, ran the server on my computer for 2 days logging in and out(using direct ip address) and doing a champion, all kinds of things.
Put the server live, couple players log in then another and out of the blue, the server freezes up. No error, no crash, just frozen solid.{use no-ip and it shows it is fine, no update needed)
Tied to run it with Calendors 64.exe, thinking it was a core issue, did all the same as above-runs fine logging into the ip direct on my computeras a test server, put it out live and we use no-ip, ran for hour and a half then froze up.
Using the saves from our live server on all occassions and the previous server version we keep going back to runs without incident.

We use ANNOY for clients not patched to server at 6.0.14.3.

ANY thoughts on what would cause a server to freeze up, no errorr report, no crash?
Would players with an outdated client or over patched client cause this?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Yes, I am going to start merging over again from our running version to the latest SVN.

Koluch

koluch

Sorceror
Hammerhand;812623 said:
Microsoft?

You DID say ANY thoughts....;)

hehe yeah that was a good thought :p

The server is just a dedicated server with 2 or 3 gig memory and XP 64 duel core, nothing but the no-ip and the server running.
Something is not..."dumping", or catch/release....who knows.

Why would it run perfect on my lesser computer with TONS of junk on it and running, but once on the server computer, with VERY little going on freeze.
I cant directly connect the issue to a player logging on and off.
When running the server on my computer, the only one logging on and off is me with 4-5 clients using the IP address.....and it runs fine.

A crash I can handle, at least you know with -debug what the issue is.
This freeze-up is making me nuts, especially because I can test it all I want, shows it is running fine, plop it onto the live server and then just wait, cause sure as heck, it is for no reason gonna lockup.

Last test, we did 3 saves, 2 players were on AND afk, one was logging on and off(I think) and we were waiting on the NoHousingItem to poof to replace a house. Turned to take a step....frozen up.

*sigh*
Ill take our active server and go folder by folder against the 284 svn.
NetState and m.ns for netstate in the core was my initial thought, BUT then it would freeze up on my computer also....

Back to the drawing board, what a wasted weekend :(

Koluch

milva

Sorceror
have you run a virus scan on that comp? Just a thought- cause that can make a server freeze up, happened to me once.

koluch

Sorceror
I get way to wordy so Ill revamp this, the servers, both test and live are patched to 6.0.14.3:

1) SVN 352 with ML 53(minus the bugged talisman)runs like a gem using no-ip on live server public logging in.

2) SVN 384 with ML 53(minus the bugged talisman) runs like a gem on backup server logging in with IP address not the no-ip, so only me logging in several players using direct IP address.

3) SVN 384 with ML 53(minus the bugged talisman) on the live server freezes up at no particular time, with player, few players, no major anyone doing anything. It doesnt happen at a save, or at least hasnt happend at a save.It may freeze after a couple hours, 10 minutes, day and a half. ALL versions are using the latest save, because I thought we had a corrupted save, so that I keep checking.

A virus would lock up the live server, but as stated above, the older live version running as we speak, making saves and all, runs fine and the saves it is making work on the backup server on a different computer without incident.

Aside from -debug is there another prompt line I could possibly add to see what is causing the freeze on the live server.

We have eliminated:
1) not a hardware issue or our current server would not be running.
2) we use "Annoy" to have players patch to the correct level.(could this be an issue??If someone is over patched, though on SVN 384 that should not be the case and cause a freeze)

OMG I got wordy again and Im gonna get yelled at, but those are the statistics as we sit.

Thanks for your imput!

koluch

koluch

Sorceror
Strange?

I noticed a weird could be coincidence.
The server seems to run fine, UNTIL on certain player goes to connect and then it freezes up when he connects and disconnects.
This MIGHT be coincidence, but could something a player is running(an outside utility) cause the server to totally freeze.
No crash.
No one gets disconnected.
Just freezes..any thoughts, cause we are still having this issue(we have compiled the core several times to be sure its not a bad compile)

Thanks!

Koluch

Aeolus

Sorceror
koluch;813493 said:
I noticed a weird could be coincidence.
The server seems to run fine, UNTIL on certain player goes to connect and then it freezes up when he connects and disconnects.
This MIGHT be coincidence, but could something a player is running(an outside utility) cause the server to totally freeze.
No crash.
No one gets disconnected.
Just freezes..any thoughts, cause we are still having this issue(we have compiled the core several times to be sure its not a bad compile)

Thanks!

Koluch
Demise was having a very similar problem with freezes a while back but I don't know if they ever said what the cause was. On Demise though the freeze would usually work itself out if you were patient (sometimes it would take as much as 5 minutes or so.) Will your shard start running again if you wait long enough?

one question you never answered up there: what does the cpu do when the freeze occurs?
use taskmanager to see if it go to 50% on runuo.exe (since it is a dual core, else would be 100%)

also i was having a simular problem a little over a year ago
I thought the hardware was fine, found out i had a bad cpu, testing did not find it - it seems that a certain instruction being called is what triggered it into its own endless loop internal to it
it was just a bad spot that formed in it
it ran great for the 3 years before that

it drove me crazy until some one mentions to check to see if i was overclocked on the cpu, and it turned out i was (the place that sold me the computer did not tell me that was how they got it to be running at that speed, thought it normal for that cpu)
well they did not increment the core voltage up to go with the overclocking, so the cpu fried itself slowly lol
replacing the cpu fixed it

but in doing research on it, cpu's can go bad like that, over clocked or not, that is why they have warranties lol

BUt if cpu is going to max like that, then it is something doing an endless loop of some tiem, or a long loop
like the other day i tried to respawn about 4000 spawners and it locked up for abot 5 minutes doing it

so if you have something that is going through and modifying each and every item in the world for some reason, or searching through them to do something, that could cause it also

also, might want to look at any AI's you might have modified, so critter might be in a loop

and try removing the "annoy" script and see if it then stops
there is a built in thing that will kick them if not pathed high enough you can turn on

koluch

Sorceror
No doesnt freeze, just the server.
I responded to this post and stupd laptop didnt post it, Ill reply later, thanks LG Ill answer ya soon as I have a moment!

koluch

Hammerhand

Knight
Might also be something in that players character.. I've had characters deleted and see others get deleted as well because of some odd glitch in character creation that caused the server to freeze up when logging in. But only with one or 2 players. And it can affect 1 character but not another on the same account. Just some random glitch that doesnt seem to have a cause. Might be worth checking into. About the only thing you can do with that tho is delete the character and have them create a new one and redo its stats. Just a thought.