RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about RunUO source...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courageous said:
I don't agree that anything has been disproven, except the desire of the RunUO core team to do it, which is perfectly well their business.

If you refuse to accept that your idea is redundant given the nature of UO's cliloc numbers, then that is your perogative. However, this thread is a moot point as two developers have already spoken on the issue. It simply won't happen. Why must you continue to insist you are in the right, and everyone else is in the wrong? Your supposed 15 years experience seems to have given you a "holier than thou" attitude that is becoming increasingly annoying.

darkstorm

Wanderer
If you refuse to accept that your idea is redundant given the nature of UO's cliloc numbers, then that is your perogative.
What you don't seem to get is, that he is refering to magic numbers in general and he IS right. Go take some Software Engineering classes and try to proove him wrong. Good luck.

@Phantom:
ESPECIALLY If you come from C, static consts dont take up Heap space since an optimizing compiler will replace the references with the value at compile time eliminating any performance hit. Actually this is one of the most basic optimizations. C# will actually do the same since the value is immutable.

On a sidenode I am very impressed with Courageous. He bears with the (typical?) personal accusations of the RunUO community toward anyone who brings in some professional skills and doesn't bow down to the first community figurehead who tells him he's stupid. (Good way of welcoming skilled people to the community, Phantom!) I find it quite amusing, how some people in this thread react to SE professionals. It's especially fascinating how some of you try to prove a concept wrong, that has long been proven right by many computer scientists.

I just hope, that Courageous will not be disgusted by how much he has been insulted in just one thread for making a valid remark and that he will continue to contribute insight into good coding practices.

cu,
Storm

TMSTKSBK

Lord
darkstorm said:
What you don't seem to get is, that he is refering to magic numbers in general and he IS right. Go take some Software Engineering classes and try to proove him wrong. Good luck.

@Phantom:
ESPECIALLY If you come from C, static consts dont take up Heap space since an optimizing compiler will replace the references with the value at compile time eliminating any performance hit. Actually this is one of the most basic optimizations. C# will actually do the same since the value is immutable.

On a sidenode I am very impressed with Courageous. He bears with the (typical?) personal accusations of the RunUO community toward anyone who brings in some professional skills and doesn't bow down to the first community figurehead who tells him he's stupid. (Good way of welcoming skilled people to the community, Phantom!) I find it quite amusing, how some people in this thread react to SE professionals. It's especially fascinating how some of you try to prove a concept wrong, that has long been proven right by many computer scientists.

I just hope, that Courageous will not be disgusted by how much he has been insulted in just one thread for making a valid remark and that he will continue to contribute insight into good coding practices.

cu,
Storm

Re-read everything we've said. kthx.

xir

Wanderer
~
Cast not pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.
~

darkstorm said:

What YOU don't seem to get is that I am not disputing the design model. I'm disputing his suggestion specifically how it applies to RunUO. It serves no purpose to go back and change so many lines of code, when the fact of the matter is those numbers will never need to changed. Thus the advantage of having a global "choke point" where changes to a number would be applied to all instances is not an advantage at all.

Reading comprehension for the win.

Go find where I said that design is stupid or wrong, and try to prove yourself right. Good luck.

darkstorm

Wanderer
TheOutkastDev said:
Go find where I said that design is stupid or wrong, and try to prove yourself right. Good luck.

Here you go:

Your initial justification for redefining magic numbers has already been disproven.

You say, that his reasons for replacing magic numbers with const static ints has have been proven wrong. And maybe (just maybe) you should check on your reading comprehension: He didn't limit the concept to the cliloc numbers but already mentioned multiple times, that it extends to other constants in the code. I find it very interesting you seem to focus on one aspect of his argument, while totally ignoring the other.

cu,
Storm

Kamron

Knight
Outkast is right.... if this were an issue of a program which changes or fluxuates in that particular area often, then yes that would be an issue.

I would argue that if anything, the minimal increase in memory is ridiculous for the fact that if you change 1 of those numbers a month for the lifetime of using RunUO, it would STILL be 3,000 times less work (based on lines per time) then to make the magic numbers dissapear. And what do you gain? A little bit of memory usage. It's therefore useless.

Zippy

Razor Creator
It is agreed -- this thread should be (and now is) closed.

Thank you for your input, but krrios and I both agree that the gains offered by switching to named constants for localization are greatly out weighed by the loss of readability and the overall clumsyness of using such a system.

Like it or not, this suggestion will likely not see it into main distro. Still, whether it seems apparent in this thread or not, suggestions and discussions such as this one are welcome. I wish everyone else on the board had been nicer and more constructive. *sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.