RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about SDK Possibility

Mideon

Page
Question about SDK Possibility

I've been looking at the SDK recently....looks interesting though I must admit I'm still not very familiar with it.

I've had an idea for a program suggested to me and I'd like to see about how to get started on it. The program would be a packet video recorder/player. (Like Razor's functionality...which is just fantastic).

I would use razor, but I run an rp server and we "hide" the numbers from the players. As well as many other things. Razor is just not what I need but I love the idea of the packet videos. I was wondering if it would be possible using this SDK to create a program capable of accomplishing this. (Not looking for handouts really....I just A) don't know if it's possible with the SDK and B) am not entirely certain on how to get started)

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mideon

Page
Ah thanks so much for that link. Do you know where I can find more information on what exactly this is for/why it was created?

Though I must admit there is a lot of good code in here. Thanks again!

Mideon

Page
From what I gather (good chance I'm wrong..I've never done network programming before gah!), but it seems that the SpyUO code is more concerned about recording incoming packets to the client, whereas UONetwork is more about server/client communication.

To record packet videos in a razor fasihon....I only need to detect and record to some sort of file....the packets coming IN to the client correct? Then I need to read these packets back in and send them to the client to "play" the video correct?

I Cheat

Wanderer
UONetwork is a console based client.
SpyUO logs the packets going to and from the server.

Are you trying to make a standalone RPV viewer thing or what?

Mideon

Page
I Cheat;638736 said:
UONetwork is a console based client.
SpyUO logs the packets going to and from the server.

Are you trying to make a standalone RPV viewer thing or what?

Yup that's exactly what I'm trying to do (recorder as well). (Unfortunately I don't have much experience when it comes to application programming or network communication programming etc. But that doesn't mean I can't do it ;D I will just need some assitance heeh.

I am doing this for shards (I'll release this thing when it's stable enough) that razor is not appropriate for. I run a roleplay server for instance...which all of razor's functionality really does not mesh with my shard. But if I can pull this little application off, it will allow for users/staff alike to easily record and playback videos.

Great for shard tutorials, or what I will mostly use it for.....storyline videos ;D
(Or recording quests and such).

I Cheat

Wanderer
You're probably going to want to learn some c++ so you can inject a C++ DLL into the client. The C++ DLL will the hook the socket functions in the client which will allow you to view all the data as it is sent/received.

Doing what you want in the best way is quite hard. I am able to do all of the above but I'd rather not share the code right now. I might think about creating a standalone recorder/viewer after I finish some work on my current project.

Mideon

Page
I Cheat;638752 said:
You're probably going to want to learn some c++ so you can inject a C++ DLL into the client. The C++ DLL will the hook the socket functions in the client which will allow you to view all the data as it is sent/received.

Doing what you want in the best way is quite hard. I am able to do all of the above but I'd rather not share the code right now. I might think about creating a standalone recorder/viewer after I finish some work on my current project.

Ah thanks for the tip. I'll start reading up on some of this stuff. If you do happen to begin this project, please keep me updated as I'd love to hear of your progress!

DragonBoy

Wanderer
I suspect it would be a start, I mean somebody already said you would have to commuicate with the client, which is something the SDK can't do ( although you can talk to the client in a limited way ).

The code would have to be in C++ for many reasons, mainly due C# not even having the ability to do what you need to do, since you cannot access memory ( method do not even exist ).

mordero

Knight
DragonBoy;648944 said:
The code would have to be in C++ for many reasons, mainly due C# not even having the ability to do what you need to do, since you cannot access memory ( method do not even exist ).

You can read and write to processes memory through the the APIs windows makes available. So even though the methods dont exist in .net, you can still use them, although it is difficult.

DragonBoy

Wanderer
Mideon;648893 said:
I just had a bit of spare time and was reading up on some of this stuff.....

I am curious....would this be something that could help towards a project such as the one I suggested here?

HookAPI source code - The Code Project - System

mordero;648955 said:
You can read and write to processes memory through the the APIs windows makes available. So even though the methods dont exist in .net, you can still use them, although it is difficult.

While I am sure other appreciate the knowlege, I feel I must make it clear, I already knew that.

DragonBoy

Wanderer
HellRazor;649001 said:
Then why did you state that you couldn't access memory in C#? Clearly you can.

I figured it wasn't important, and fact you can't access the lower level functions like memory without the help of the API, makes my statement true. I was also talking about C# 2.0 functionality supplied by the .NET Framework.

Perhaps I could have been more clear, perhaps I said exactly what I should have said, my statement still holds some truth to it. Why you want me to explain something I don't have an answer for, only that I know how to import C++ dll's into a C# project, considering I have done it for many years now.

You seem to have a problem with something I have said, can I ask what that was exactly?

Mideon

Page
Gentlemen no offense, but please do not hijack this thread.....I don't want those who are interested in perhaps doing something about this project or helping me to get lost in a sea of programmer vs programmer action. I respect and thank you all for your answers, but if you develop "beef" with eachother please take it to private messages. Thanks kindly.