RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Question]RunUO 1 Vs. 2?

[Question] RunUO 1 Vs. 2?

Hey!
I'm sorry if this question has already been answered, but since I'm going to add some specific details, I feel it's correct to open a new thread.
I'd like to know which to choose: RunUO 1 or 2?
I'm considering opening a shard that has much gameplay like Sphere 55i (spellcast speed, skills and many other things). I don't need the new things like Samurai Empire skills and further.
So, which is better for me? Why should I choose RunUO 1 over 2? And why would I want to choose 2 over 1?

I'll be thankful for as much info as possible on this

WarAngel

Wanderer
Iomega0318 said:
You should go with 1.0, 2.0 is not even fully reliable yet.. Also its got just basically what you need..

How can you say that with 450 posts under your belt? You must have noticed at some time or another that the only scripts released for the past few months have been either brand new 2.0 releases, or people revamping 1.0 scripts to 2.0.

With that said, don't start with 1.0. If you start there, you will never make it to 2.0. You'll have done so much work to get your shard open, you won't wanna do all the work to convert to 2.0.

Thistle

Wanderer
Very good points! Plus the fact that within a few months or perhaps even less support for RunUO 1 will be discontinued once the final version of RunUO 2 is released.

You can always grab the latest RunUO 2 SVN (86) compile it yourself and start working from that.

daat99

Staff member
WarAngel said:
How can you say that with 450 posts under your belt? You must have noticed at some time or another that the only scripts released for the past few months have been either brand new 2.0 releases, or people revamping 1.0 scripts to 2.0.

With that said, don't start with 1.0. If you start there, you will never make it to 2.0. You'll have done so much work to get your shard open, you won't wanna do all the work to convert to 2.0.
I totaly disagree.
So what if people release only RunUO 2 scripts now?
RunUO 2 is definatly not in a state that should be run on a production shard...
Besides if he don't want to learn how to upgrade than I wouldn't advice on using RunUO at all, sticking him with 2 just because he doesn't know how to upgrade only means a wipe when RunUO 2.0 final will be released (which will be in a production shard state).

Anyway to sum the pros-cons:

RunUO 1.0 final pros:
Stable, can run on a production shard with no risk.
A lot of scripts are released.
Lack of updates of scripts in the release section (you won't find many bugs).

RunUO 1.0 final cons:
Lack of updates to scripts (a bit outdated).
You'll need to upgrade when 2.0 final will be released.

RunUO 2.0 R(elease)C(andidate)1 pros:
A lot of new scripts in the release section.
A lot of updates of scripts in the release section (you'll be uptodate).

RunUO 2.0 R(elease)C(andidate)1 cons:
A lot of updates of scripts in the release section (you'll find a lot of bugs in those scripts).
Not stable, doesn't intent to hold a production shard (by definition it's a release candidate, if it was ent for production shards it was called final).
You'll need to upgrade when 2.0 final will be released.

Now let him make his own choices ;)

snicker7

Sorceror
daat99 said:
I totaly disagree.
So what if people release only RunUO 2 scripts now?
RunUO 2 is definatly not in a state that should be run on a production shard...
Besides if he don't want to learn how to upgrade than I wouldn't advice on using RunUO at all, sticking him with 2 just because he doesn't know how to upgrade only means a wipe when RunUO 2.0 final will be released (which will be in a production shard state).
I'm with daat on this one, and I would venture to say that someone with 450 posts here probably DOES know what they're talking about (unless more than 60% of these posts are in the Starbucks forum). But then again, you'll probably disagree with me because I have under 350 posts.

I guess I'll just go with RunUO 1. I simply need a nice base for my custom scripts which I plan to have a lot.
Still unsure, but I guess I'll go with 1.

Anyway, thanks everybody for your constractive replies :)

Thistle

Wanderer
Considering that one could spend a few months doing their own customizations, wouldn't it be better to start with the latest SVN for RunUO 2?

I mean why spend all that time working on RunUO 1 when you'll just have to turn around and spend another month or so converting it over to RunUO 2.

daat99

Staff member
Thistle said:
Considering that one could spend a few months doing their own customizations, wouldn't it be better to start with the latest SVN for RunUO 2?

I mean why spend all that time working on RunUO 1 when you'll just have to turn around and spend another month or so converting it over to RunUO 2.
Considering the amount of customization you can do in couple of months, regardless which RunUO version he'll use he'll have the exact same chances to get it to upgrade as he has to get it wiped.
If he want to have it "on ice" for the next unknown amount of time (months... year? nobody knows...) than yeah, go with 2.0, but if he want it to be open for players in order to get feedback than I stick with 1.0.

The world customization doesn't have any effect on the upgrade anyway...

Anywy that's just my opinion, feel free to have your own ;)

Courageous

Wanderer
Here's my thoughts:

It will take a very long time to flesh out a production shard to the degree that it will be worth playing. That should be months of test and configuration time, that you'll be getting familar with your shard, it's scripts, configuration, maps, and so forth. While RC1 isn't quite rock-solid yet (mostly, I'd say due to many recent bugs in script updates), expect things to mature during your setup period. Further, this is a participatory and reciprocal community. Going for the RC1 is the better community choice, as you can provide feedback, and help us, the community, straighten everything out.

C//

WarAngel

Wanderer
Courageous said:
Going for the RC1 is the better community choice, as you can provide feedback, and help us, the community, straighten everything out

And the same goes in reverse. We can also always help you out, because 1.0 is not the main focus of support anymore. :)

daat99

Staff member
Courageous said:
Here's my thoughts:

It will take a very long time to flesh out a production shard to the degree that it will be worth playing. That should be months of test and configuration time, that you'll be getting familar with your shard, it's scripts, configuration, maps, and so forth. While RC1 isn't quite rock-solid yet (mostly, I'd say due to many recent bugs in script updates), expect things to mature during your setup period. Further, this is a participatory and reciprocal community. Going for the RC1 is the better community choice, as you can provide feedback, and help us, the community, straighten everything out.

C//
Although I do agree that it'll be better for the community at large if he'll test RunUO 2.0 RC1 in his shard I still think that he should stick with 1.
Most shard owners open their shards to beta-testings during the building/customization period in order to get feedback from possible future players.
If he don't want to do that than I'll say go with 2.0 RC1, assuming he's like the average shard owner however...

Courageous

Wanderer
How about a compromise? If he has any kind of script debugging or programming skills, I'd recommend that he go with RC1. If nothing, then perhaps 1.0, however I do think that War Angel is right in that a lot of us our now shifting our interests over to 2.0.

aralith

Sorceror
Imagine Nation, a shard we attempted to make feel like Sphere 51a, uses RunUO 1.0. We decided there was no real need to move to 2.0 since our server will most likely never have a huge playerbase like UOGamers to take advantage of the best features 2.0 offers. Perhaps in the long run it may be worth switching over just to stay with some of the new useful script releases that may come out.

Perhaps your best bet would be to build a working shard on 1.0 and update a side 2.0 project as more release candidates come out so your live server can be switched to the final release of 2.0 easily without having to worry about future changes.

Northern, on the subject of what you're trying to do: It's a lot harder than you think. They are right, it took us two months of scripting constantly to get the shard to where it is now. A lot more is involved than just tweaking existing systems. To go back to that sort of spell system took practically rewriting Spell.

Erzse/Nasir

Erzse - my honor:) I'm a proud player of IN:R and happy to see you here. Thanks for what's now know as IN:R.

My two questions still remain: what are those features that RunUO 2 has over 1?
Also, won't my RunUO 1 scripts work propertly on RunUO2?
(Sorry, I just got back to RunUO since a long time from the time of runUO 35 beta:), so I may not be up to date )

aralith

Sorceror
Concerning your question about using RunUO-1.0 scripts on 2.0: No. Luckily most 1.1 scripts are fairly easy to convert to work with .NET 2.0 as long as you wrote it yourself, though. I'd imagine it'd be a little harder if you're not completely familiar with the script you're converting.

I think the most common difference would be arrays.

Oh, I see.
Well after hearing you all I've come to a conclusion that I actually should go with RunUO2. I wasn't going to open this shard any soon since I've got a lot to learn, a lot to script and oh yeah I'm still waiting for Utima Iris to be playable:).
In any case, guess I'm going with RunUO 2.0

Your replies helped me alot.
Thank you.

Freyd

Sorceror
In my opinion, if you want to run AoS or SE server you should use 1.0 (like me). 90% released script on 2.0 are avaible on 1.0 too (but not in latest version).If you want to have ML server you should use 2.0 because it will be easier to actualize your scripts in it. The choise is your.

Lord Northern said:
(...) and oh yeah I'm still waiting for Utima Iris to be playable:).

Better way is waiting for UOKR. I think Ultima Iris will never be playable like normal uo. But its only my opinion...

Mhhh, isn't it the new official UO client?
I heard they aren't going to make it any more 3D. Please correct me if I got it all wrong, but it seems like UOKR will look exactly like the current 3D UO except just a better graphics but it's not like they're making it really a 3D world -- please, more comments on this.