RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renting Regions

blackhawke

Wanderer
Renting Regions

This is a script request I’ve seen on many forums. I think many would get good use out of it.

I’d like to see a “Rentable” region script which would work something like this…

You could define a rentable region, in a city for example (say a small shop in brit), and put up a house sign in that region.

A player could double click the sign. He could rent the area (a house or shop, for example), for a daily or weekly amount. Once rented, the area would act exactly as a home. He could make it public or private, ban people, lock down items, set up vendors, and even place a guild stone.

Rent would be drawn directly from his bank box. If he ever had insufficient funds, the area would become re-rentable, and all items inside would begin to decay, or be treated as if the house had decayed.

Anyways, I’ve seen “rent doors” which accomplish something similar, but this would be exactly like a home. It would be a house region, except that instead of purchasing and placing your home, it’s already placed, and you pay weekly rent.

I think this would be a wonderful script. Thank you for your time.

Phantom

Knight
Looking forward to when you release it.

You do understand this isn't a request forum. its very slim to no chance that it will be added to the default package?

Thus this makes this a request, and thats not allowed.

Fury

Wanderer
Im curious how you classify between request/suggestion/idea.. im not looking for a fight but people have submitted things i thought were good ideas ( not necessarily this ) and i pursued them.. this guy used the word request in his post but the taxicab one below the guy said suggestion and you told him the same thing..

blackhawke

Wanderer
The description for this forum states:

"This forum is for suggestions and/or ideas pertaining to the RunUO Core distribution."

Having a degree in philosophy, and therefore having a pension for argument, let me point out that Phantom’s argument is slightly flawed…

You do understand this isn't a request forum. It’s very slim to no chance that it will be added to the default package? Thus this makes this a request, and that’s not allowed.

If there is a slim chance, then by definition there is a chance. If there is a chance, this is EXACTLY where it belongs, assuming it is intended for the Distro.

That is not to say your conclusion is in any way incorrect. This was a script request. And it was posted with full knowledge of the description of the forum. So your conclusion is not wrong, though your logic was (Much like saying “Paris is in Texas… Texas is in France, therefore Paris is in France”- the conclusion is in fact correct, though the premises are wrong).

Regardless, point in fact- While I believe this would be a good and logical addition to the Distro, I also believe it unlikely. Therefore I posted this in the form of a script request.

If the Admins discourage this in any way, I will abide by their decision whole heartedly, managing several forums myself. But this was not an abusive post, not malicious in any way, and posted in this forum only after going over the description of every forum and baring any which fit perfectly, using the forum which was the closest fit. Where as there was no “Announcement” prohibiting the behavior, and whereas the post was in the closest, most appropriate forum, I see no harm in it.

Fury

Wanderer
well a request is against the forum rules.. but my question is if you change the word request to suggestion, then what.

blackhawke

Wanderer
Ahhhhh... Lesson learned.

So is it specificaly a request for a script? Or is it also a request for added Distro functionality (IE you can make suggestions, but not request specifics)?

Thanks!

BH

Phantom

Knight
blackhawke said:
Ahhhhh... Lesson learned.

So is it specificaly a request for a script? Or is it also a request for added Distro functionality (IE you can make suggestions, but not request specifics)?

Thanks!

BH

Anything you WANT for YOUR SHARD instead of FOR RUNUO and EVERYONE's shard is a REQUEST. Most non-requests are features found on OSI or inner works like the admin menu, or a improvement to a command, or a command, ect, ect.

Rentable regions is none of those...

Here is an example:
Suggestion:

More advance logging feature, perhaps log keywords player say. For example if somebody says "this shard sucks I am gona hack it" start a log on what everything he does ( spells, war/peace changes, what items are bought, ect ). This would be used to find bad players.

Request:

Rentable Regions, because I think they would be cool.

Here is why its a request:

This is a script request I’ve seen on many forums. I think many would get good use out of it.

Incase your confused:
This is a script request I’ve seen on many forums

again for clarity
script request

^^ That is why your "suggestion" is a script request. Again this forum isn't meant to suggestiont things you would like to see on your shard. RunUO is trying to be an OSI clone, As this isn't on OSI this won't be added to the distro :)

Basicly if its not something to improve the admin's ability to administrate their shard, or an OSI feature I see it those so called suggestions as a request.

You posted with full knowlege that this has been request. So you know there already is a broken-half working static house sytem in the submission.

I played around with it some, as I was looking to do improve it, got to involved so I stop working on it.

Kamron

Knight
Philosophy has nothing to do with if this is a request or not. Its common sense, and phantom is right. If its not OSI, its not staff related for managing a shard, or script related to improve code for future use to make it more of an OSI clone or to help people to code their shard, then its a request.

Phantom

Knight
XxSP1DERxX said:
Philosophy has nothing to do with if this is a request or not. Its common sense, and phantom is right. If its not OSI, its not staff related for managing a shard, or script related to improve code for future use to make it more of an OSI clone or to help people to code their shard, then its a request.

Even if its a good idea, its still a request therefore should be scripted, and released by the community. We should try to keep RunUO clean of non-osi scripts simply because we already have 1600 scripts :D

Aldryic

Wanderer
How about instead of sitting around bitching about it being a request or not, we stop to think about the potential it has, and treat it more like a shared idea.

"Hey, this forum has alot of requests for a rentable region script. I think I'll post about it on RunUO to give people ideas to improve on their shard".

More than likely that was his train of thought....and in his attempt to help out the community, he gets flamed by people that can't see past their own abilities.

Of course, we must all assume that we're perfect and can never be wrong, though. Gods forbid we give someone the benefit of the doubt.

psz

Administrator
If it's NOT on OSI, then it's NOT going to be in RunUO's distro releases.

This forum is for suggestions for the RunUO DISTRO RELEASE.

If someone wants to script this, NO ONE IN THIS THREAD has said it was a bad idea. Start on it, post what you've got in Script Support, and you'll get help with it.

It just doesn't belong HERE.

Besides, this thread died almost a month ago. Why'd you bring it back?

Aldryic

Wanderer
I just got finished with a monthlong project of a military website....not in the best of moods, wasn't really paying attention to the date, and tired of everyone being a complete jackass. Just not seeing why it's necissary to berate someone instead of just deleting/moving the post.

psz

Administrator
Well, Phantom, or I or almost anyone in the thread WOULD move the thread, but we CAN'T, so....

It would have been just as easy for the initial poster to say "Ooops, my bad" and post some ideas into Script Support with maybe some code.

Phantom

Knight
Aldryic said:
I just got finished with a monthlong project of a military website....not in the best of moods, wasn't really paying attention to the date, and tired of everyone being a complete jackass. Just not seeing why it's necissary to berate someone instead of just deleting/moving the post.

You were not even involved in the thread, so why did you even post?

I wasn't being a jackass, I only got "firm" when people started to doubt what I thought this was a request ( it is ) as its not going to be done by anyone but the author some or somebody else who wants it.

Aldryic

Wanderer
If it helps you sleep at night, I was 'involved' because I was searching for just such a script, or the basis of one I could build from. That, and I have to put up with civilians that have attitudes like yours on a daily basis. Please don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'm just confusing arrogance with firmness.....based on the fact that every other reply of yours I've seen is "You're stupid, shutup, that won't work" or "do it yourself".

psz

Administrator
WHERE have I called someone stupid???
:shock:

And as for being firm, I was being firm with the rules of this forum.

Aldryic

Wanderer
Attempting to stay on topic, however....was a working/semiworking version of the rentableregion script ever made?