RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RunUO, and networks

galardar

Wanderer
RunUO, and networks

I constantly see people confused about IPs and such. This is a brief tutorial on how to make your shard publicly accessible.

This is assuming you are running it behind a NAT firewall.

A NAT firewall "hides" any computers behind it. It does this by "translating" IPs, I won't get into technical aspect of it. Anything behind it gets a local IP, the external (WAN) interface gets an external IP from your ISP via DHCP. (in most cases, anyway)

Basically when you go online, your local IP gets translated to your external IP, then when the server replies the router knows which local IP to send it to because of session info in the packet. So communication goes on normally when going outside your network.

Basically, anything behind the NAT has a local IP that nobody can access. They are non routable outside of that network. These IPs are normally 192.168.0.0/16 and 10.0.0.0/8 and another range thats rarely used, 172. something I think. You could technically use any range, but that would cause issues if that range is actually used online, so stick with the reserved ones mentioned. I personally like 10.0.0.0/8 as its nice and easy.

When RunUO is started you'll see something like this:

Address: 127.0.0.1 2953 Address: 10.1.1.14: 2953

127.0.0.1 is LOCALHOST, it means "this computer", every single network device has that IP at least. Unplug your network card, and you should still be able to ping that. The 2nd is the local address of that PC on your network. You need to forward a port on your router. So forward port 2953 to 10.1.1.14 so now any requests on that port sent to your external IP (the IP that is visible to the internet) will then go to your server.

We're not quite done.

In serverlist.cs there is a declaration for the server. Ensure you put your external IP or hostname there. When someone first connects to your server they get the server list, which has that IP/port, when they click, their client connects to that IP/port. So if you put your local LAN IP there, you will be able to connect, but nobody else.

I just wrote this real quick and tried to keep it non technical, hope it helps people!