RunUO Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Runuo implementation] just a Question for developers

/*Coder*/

Wanderer
[Runuo implementation] just a Question for developers

Does runuo open a thread each client estamblish a connection?

1 thread per client?

all under 1 process?

Just a curiosity.

Thanks.

David

Moderate
With the exception of Timers (and if enabled threaded saves), RunUO operates in a single thread.

/*Coder*/

Wanderer
hum

David said:
With the exception of Timers (and if enabled threaded saves), RunUO operates in a single thread.

I need to increase my shard performance.

If so i should increase frequency and not buying a new processor.

do you use fibers inside that thread?

Do you go in concurrency somewhere?

I really don't realize how do you manage multiple connections at the same time.
Maybe you manage all things by Asynchronous I/O i dunno.

It seems you don't have concurrency code.

Should i have advantages from a multiprocessor architecture?

Thx.

David

Moderate
I am actually not a developer, just a knowledgeable user (my information is accurate.) However, RunUO uses Overlapped IO to manage concurrent connections.

To increase performance, the number one influencer is RAM. I suggest 512Meg as a minimum, 1Gig or more prefered.

Regarding multiprocessor, I am running dual Xeon's in hyperthreaded mode. Whilst RunUO's core is single threaded, the operating system and whatever else (firewall, virus scanner, maybe a ftp server) is not in that thread. Multiprocessor pros/cons are somewhat debated around here, but I am on the pro side myself.

/*Coder*/

Wanderer
David said:
Whilst RunUO's core is single threaded, the operating system and whatever else (firewall, virus scanner, maybe a ftp server) is not in that thread. Multiprocessor pros/cons are somewhat debated around here, but I am on the pro side myself.

Yeah, but all that things should sleep, runuo doesn't.
I agree about memory.

Ryan

RunUO Founder
Staff member
RunUO handled 1500 actual users on single cpu system with no problems.

Max out your CPU, Drive speed and go with 4 gigs of RAM